E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

No air from vents after blower motor replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 E350 Wagon
No air from vents after blower motor replacement?

Hello All.

I hope you might be able to help me with this since I've searched the forums and the googles and have yet to come up with some useful information.

Earlier today my blower motor finally gave up the ghost. after making some annoying grinding sounds, I turned off the AC so I could concentrate on an email I was working on. The blower never turned of its own accord again. After pulling the blower motor and applying a 12 volt current to it, it was still dead. upon turning the motor upside down, all the magic smoke that powered it dumped out and landed as dust on the counter.

I bought a new blower motor and replaced it, but when I buttoned everything back up, while I can hear the fan turning briskly as it should, I am not getting any air coming out of any of my vents. Is there some sort of reset procedure I should try?

Last winter I took the blower motor out and cleaned the contacts as they had been corroded. After that it worked like a champ so I'm not sure that I did the procedure wrong this time.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Oh, I should note that I have a 2003 W211 with analog HVAC controls.

Last edited by purplegrog; 03-13-2015 at 11:30 PM. Reason: additional detail
Old 03-14-2015, 12:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...on/page_17875/
Old 03-14-2015, 01:17 AM

2008 E350 Wagon
Thanks for that link. Minus disconnecting the battery, that's exactly what I did. Did I muck up something by not disconnecting the battery?
Old 03-14-2015, 01:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
If the blower is running but there is no air at any outlet, this can be an indication of icing in the evaporator. This symptom disappears when the vehicle and the engine are left off for a certain time (the ice at the evaporator thaws). In addition, check interior combination filter for contamination and visually check duct between engine compartment and blower.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda
good job but have an error hope you shod update the URL have a nice day....

Last edited by steevosson; 10-27-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:28 AM

2008 E350 Wagon
Thanks for the suggestions! I checked the filter and while dirty I don't think that's it. With the filter removed I still get no air flow. I let the car sit overnight so any ice should have thawed by now. Is there a way to reset the flaps myself? I can hear them moving but I wonder if they need to be resynced. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm at my wits end and even tried to take the car to the dealer but they won't see me until Wednesday.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Interesting, simply replacing blower should not cause this, definitive diagnose have an independent with MB DAS pull codes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HVAC.pdf (131.2 KB, 603 views)

Last edited by konigstiger; 03-14-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:55 PM

2008 E350 Wagon
Thank you konigstiger for your always helpful posts! Issue is resolved but not what you might think it was. I will update later with details.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:07 PM

2008 E350 Wagon
So the additional details on this are that the blower motor I got from autozone - http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat.../69602_0_1526/

was NOT the exact fit the site claimed it was. Number one, the housing was incompatible with the the car, so screws did not line up right. I was desparate to get back on the road, and having no moving air in your car in texas is almost worse than a bad AC compressor. at least with a bad compressor there is air moving instead of baking you.

so, I ended up doing a really ghetto retro fit putting the fan into the old behr housing. As part of the retrofit, I had to use the old connector from the bad blower motor, because the connection on the new blower motor to the regulator had the wrong gender. After I got everything wired up, the fan spun no problem, but there was no air movement. it turns out that on top of not being an exact fit, not having the right connector on the replacement fan, the fins actually are turned in opposite directions from the OEM, so air was not being directed anywhere. I pulled the fan back out and refit the connector so the brown and red wires were opposite from each other, reversing the spin of the fan, and now everything works again.

TL;DR - Autozone's replacement fan is not compatible, and the fins are pointed in the opposite direction from the original.