E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How to add power to 2005 E 500 4Matic...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500
How to add power to 2005 E 500 4Matic...?

a few quick questions... i am fairly new and under educated buut here goes

1) what would you recommend i switch, add, or upgrade, (or tune) to add power..?

2) if i am looking to add power to my 05 e500 is there anything i need to be aware of so i do not f anything up... ?

3) what is the best website to purchase parts and upgrades for my vehicle... ?

(i understand this is very difficult, expensive, maybe pointless, and i should just get the e55 however i do like my e500 very much and idc about any of that so advice on adding power would be awesome..thanks )
Old 03-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
point 1----add a blower

point 2----carefully reread point 1

point3-----support our sponsors

regarding your after thought-----concentrate and or focus on the point you or your girl friend made--------"pointless"----keep rereading that word untill your girlfriend says stop
Old 03-20-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
W218
if you can afford the E55 I'd say get it
Old 03-20-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by a100steaksauce
if you can afford the E55 I'd say get it
Working properly, the E500 has a remarkable amount of "power". I used to have a 911 with a 5-speed manual, that would just pin you in the seat, and I am very favorably-impressed with the E500. I can't think of the last time that I had to push the accelerator to the floor, even.

A great place to explore parts is Partsgeek.com. They have very good prices, and they will show you which part is the OEM, etc. Before buying, always call them. This will ensure that you are getting the right part for the specific vehicle, because their people are able to access info that isn't often apparent on the web site. Also, they sometimes surprise you with instant discounts and/or free shipping as an inducement to making the order right then and there. I usually call and say I'm checking whether their part number such-and-such is the right part for my 2004 E500 4matic Airmatic. They sometimes have a question or two, then can confirm that's the part. At that point, if I haven't said "I want to order it", they may say, "I can order that for you right now, and I'll give you free shipping" or whatever. (Admittedly, I have ordered expensive parts, but they are also heavy parts, so...)

I have also had good experiences and fair prices from Pep Boys. If they have the part, it's USUALLY at a good price. I bought a remanufactured ProStart alternator from them for $125-ish with a lifetime warranty, and it was a steal. I also got a BWD/Intermotor MAP Sensor (which was really the Fuji one every good mechanic uses) and a BWD/Intermotor EGR Valve from them, and their online prices are exceptional. BWD is Borg/Warner, a major supplier of OE parts and a perfectly-acceptable manufacturer.

Amazon often has very good prices on parts. You really are best off checking 3 or 4 sources (like those I mentioned) and seeing what part you want (e.g. the Intermotor EGR valve or the Bosch alternator, etc.) then comparing prices for that specific part across those platforms. Amazon also has Marketplace suppliers who sell fake or knockoff cheap crap. Avoid that stuff at all costs. It really is garbage.

Last edited by wjcandee; 03-20-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500
my original question has yet to be answered... i just want to know what i can modify or upgrade to add power to my E-500.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
On the upgrade question---I would suggest carbon fiber floor mats, the new bidirectional spark plugs, new and improved Rhodesian made ivory ashtrays, plus the city favorite, pimp pink blinking LED wheel well lights---very good for business, but somewhat precocious!!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
'13 E350 . M276
Originally Posted by Plutoe
On the upgrade question---I would suggest carbon fiber floor mats, the new bidirectional spark plugs, new and improved Rhodesian made ivory ashtrays, plus the city favorite, pimp pink blinking LED wheel well lights---very good for business, but somewhat precocious!!
That's exactly what I'm doing to my little bitty underpowered 3.2 engine to increase horsepower, stamina, power and oomph
Old 03-25-2015, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
For a naturally aspirated car you have a few options:
1) Tune
2) Cams
3) Headers

That's mostly it, and it will be inordinately expensive (at least for cams and headers) for the marginal power gains you will receive. Hence why I haven't really done anything to the E550 besides axle-back exhaust and some aesthetic mods (as well as brakes, suspension, etc) because up here at elevation my returns are even worse. A naturally aspirated engine doesn't have huge amounts of tuning potential until you get into the crate motor/full-aftermarket segment like ported and polished heads, changing the bore and stroke, etc. Even then, with stock car engines being the modern exception, most tuner platforms these days have some sort of forced induction: supercharger or turbocharger.

The other option is to do what Plutoe said and strap a supercharger to it. That is expensive and you're probably better off buying an E55 at that point. Also, welcome to the forums, I see you've met Plutoe. Don't let him fool you he's actually a really great guy and has an excellent point above: don't just start putting aftermarket parts on your car thinking you're all fast and furious with your pink LEDs and ground effects. No one likes a ricer, but that's just my personal opinion. Your car, your money.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 03-25-2015 at 01:04 AM.