E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

My car might be a prototype for new Nox kit...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car might be a prototype for new Nox kit...

I might be working with a company that is developing a Nox kit specifically for the E500. My E500 will be the prototype, if I agree to do it, and we can schedule it for end of January. I was considering the Kleemann supercharger, but it was about $15k installed with extended warranty, and more than I want to spend on a leased vehicle. This should end up to be about $2000 for the basic kit, another $800 for installation, and 'improvements' such as a heated sleeve for the tank, electronic switch on the interior below the light switch (so you can activate it on the road - nice), and it will be automated - when you floor it, the nitrous kicks in. Should be good for at least 100hp but estimates are for 150hp on the E500. I will get a full dyno as well as part of the prototype arrangement, and I'll be sure to let all of you know.

I think the kit with all the toys and installation is under $4k. Let's hope it works out, then you all can get it as well - more details as I get them...
Old 01-20-2004, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm all for speed, but don't you think an E500 in warranty is a bit pricey to risk blowing up the engine?? I can't imagine they will EVER honor a warranty claim with a NO2 kit installed.

That said, it's a great way to add lots of power!!!!

Old 01-20-2004, 07:41 PM

I have no intention of blowing up the engine, or allowing them to boost it enough to do so. They think they can get 200hp increase quite easily from that engine, but will probably only do 100-150 max. I know the warranty might be at stake, but only problems related to that aftermarket part, so I bet they won't argue that the a/c malfunction is because of the nitrous kit in the car...
Old 01-20-2004, 07:44 PM

'06 SL65
That's great that the kit comes with bottle warmer and remote bottle opener. Do you know if this is a wet or dry kit? Will there be a window switch also as I heard you shouldn't spray under 3K rpm. It also shuts off the laughing gas before the rev limiter. Once you have more info let us know, ie. different pills. It would be interesting how this kit works!
Old 01-20-2004, 07:47 PM

The spray doesn't kick in unless it is full throttle, and if you are full throttle on that car, I'm sure the RPM's are quickly above 3000, if not by the time you floor it. I'll check on that stuff and let you know. We're aiming for doing the project Jan. 27th - 30th, so I'll have a whole bunch of info then.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:54 PM

Some questions answered, and more information from my engineer on this project:

"Equally important, there is no generic (or car-specific) EFI kit that will work on your car with how the fuel system is designed. If you try to use any off-the-shelf system as "instructed", you will blow your motor - it's just a matter of time. Mercedes engine management and fuel systems just don't work the way that the manufacturer's assume they will. The car will starve for fuel and the mixture will be dangerously lean.

In addition, the kits that are out there are not designed to be as "automatic" as ours. They do not include window switches to ensure safe activation speeds. Instead they typically engage at any engine speed at wide open throttle or through a manual "Fast and Furious" style switch. Engine speeds below 2,500 rpm can be very dangerous to the motor when nitrous is activated and manually activated systems are really for the track with very experienced users behind the wheel. These systems also don't provide the momentary nitrous deactivation on upshifts or the fuel mixture safety devices that we have. The typical Mercedes customer (you included I imagine) is not buying a product like this for the dragstrip and anticipating rebuilding their motor on a regular basis. To the contrary, it is expected that the kit is trouble free and certainly does not cause any long term problems much less short term damage. That requires an much higher level of product development and integration.

The sum total is as follows:
i) Our kits are engineered for a specific engine / engine management system / displacement combination. No one else makes one for the Mercedes market - it's not even on their radar.
ii) Our kits are designed for the utmost in safety and worry-free use by the average user. It does not require you to be a drag strip gearhead to know how to use it safely. Arm it and it does the rest. These features alone more than double our cost compared to a stripped down kit like the ones you see for other cars.
iii) Volume, volume, volume. The big manufacturers sell thousands of kits per week for the Mustang, Chevy and generic import markets. The total aftermarket for Mercedes superchargers, turbo kits, and nitrous kits is probably around 100 per year in the U.S. The economies are very different." (I asked why their kit is so much more expensive than the regular 'off the shelf' kits used in Hondas and such.)
Old 01-20-2004, 11:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 E55
Please keep us updated on your progress. I know I would be interested if you could get a custom, quality install. What part of the country are you located...just in case it all works out I need to know how far I will have to drive to get it done.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:11 AM

I'm in Dana Point, the workshop is in Van Nuys - relatively close to you.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:13 AM

2002 S430
what would you say for someone in Florida, how would I get the kit then? Thanks
Old 01-21-2004, 01:19 AM

Someone said it would be very 'hard' on the engine, as it wasn't designed for such boost, and here was the reply:

"There are different connotations of what is "hard" on the motor. Running a mixture with nitrous (or a turbo or supercharger) that is too lean is definitely "hard" on it. And by "too" lean, we mean stoichimetric. All of our kits are targeted to run in the low to high 12:1 ratio. Without massaging the engine management and fuel systems, you can't do that effectively. So key #1 is running a proper mixture.

The other aspect of "hard" is when and how the power kicks in. We've touched on this in our various communications today. The "when" as far as engine rpm is very important. Again, generic systems don't address this at all. Introducing nitrous at low rpms is VERY hard on the motor. We're not doing that. Secondly, you will recall that I mentioned that nitrous power hits all at once as opposed to gradually. That's the other reason we do not want to go as high as blower in terms of output. Again, it's something we're addressing."

As far as how to get it installed if you are in Florida, I'm not sure, really, but I'm meeting with one of them tomorrow and can ask. I'm still anxious myself - don't want to blow my engine!
Old 01-21-2004, 02:16 AM

2002 S430
I would appreciate that
Old 01-21-2004, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by schvetkaaks
I'm still anxious myself - don't want to blow my engine!
So why do it, then?

Risk blowing the engine
Guarantee gone
To much torque for gearbox, etc
Plenty of power already

What you get:
Few seconds of pleasure
4K USD less

Last edited by Oslo; 01-21-2004 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Originally posted by schvetkaaks
I'm in Dana Point, the workshop is in Van Nuys - relatively close to you.
Are you referring to Carl @ BergWerks?? Have you test driven his E500...pretty impressive!!! I checked it out a few weeks back, and Carl's a great guy to do business with.

I suggest you do some research...I've been corresponding with a few N2O shops in the SoCal. area for some time now to do my E430...each has their own take on which system to go with.

2 years back I saw an N2O install on an S430 w/20" wheels at R&D Dyno. They used the NX wet kit EFI 75 shot, if I recall correctly his baseline was 211HP and w/N2O 287HP, also noted the car was not dyno tuned yet. If your interested give Darrin a call @ R&D Dyno.

Other sources to contact: Eric or Danny @ BottleFed Racing in Redlands & Mark@ Bottle Blown Racing in Oxnard.

Good Luck
Richard
Old 01-21-2004, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, it's your car. Any funny noise or weird problem coming from under the hood of your car will be denied a warranty claim. Probably same for the tranny and rest of the drivetrain.

The E55 comes with a strengthend engine block, stronger crank, rods, pistons, rear differential, and chassis subframe. It also has an improved oiling system. It's there for a reason.

I've put nitrous in cars before with no problem, but I've also seen guys with plenty of problems. But in a Chevy, you can fix a rear-end pretty cheaply. Not so with a Benz.

So, enjoy the nitrous, it will be fun, just put some cash aside for repairs.