Navigation solution for W211 without NAV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Navigation solution for W211 without NAV

I have spent a lot of time reseaching what portable navigation unit would work best for my 2003 W211 without NAV. The car I selected did not have the NAV option.

I looked at the popular Garmin's, Magellan's and some others then saw a review in the ZDNet newsletter. It was a PDA with navigation software. I did some research and found the HP IPAQ 2200 was a great PDA and had built in Bluetooth. HP also sells a GPS NAV System with a Bluetooth GPS Receiver. This really caught my eye because no wires were required between the GPS unit and the IPAQ which displayed the map.

I purchased the IPAQ H2200 and the HP GPS Receiver (with map software) for less money than the Garmin 2610 and Magellan 700. The setup was pretty simple and I had the unit working is short order. However, after I bought the HP Kit, I found what I think may be a better package for the Nav unit when I was looking for a way to mount the unit on the dash. This package is from ThePocketMapStore (I'll post the URL later in this thread.) The map software is more comprehensive and the graphics are better than the HP software. Their Bluetooth GPS Receiver is a newer model also (I think.)

The mounting adapted I bought is made by Akron and is the model CM-506 which is custom fitted to the model of PDA selected. I selected the windshield mount model. It also has a built in amplifier which takes the PDA sound and makes it really clear and "loud" while getting directions. It has it's own volume control. It also connects to the PDA with a matching plug and provides full time power from the cigarette lighter.

I have included pictures of the IPAQ in the Akron mount. You can see the Bluetooth GPS receiver to the left sitting on the dashboard. Reception has be excellent and routing has been very accurate.

I'll post the URL for the PocketMap Store shortly...they also sell the Akron mount.

http://store.yahoo.com/pocketmapstore/accessories.html

Pictures at http://members.***.net/benze320/

The email address is wrong on the web site.

Jack

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 01-22-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

URL for PocketMapStore

http://store.yahoo.com/pocketmapstore/accessories.html
Old 01-25-2004, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S430
Do you think you could post some pics of the set up in your car. Could you also be more specific on what you think the best set up would be. Thanks
Old 01-25-2004, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Char03
Do you think you could post some pics of the set up in your car. Could you also be more specific on what you think the best set up would be. Thanks
I posted the URL with pictures of the Bluetooth GPS Receiver and the HP IPAQ H2200 PDA. Also some views of the Window mount from Akron. However, I just posted some pictures of my dog on that site...but I well repost the GPS ones.

The Bluetooth GPS Reciever can be placed anywhere in the car that gets the best reception from the satelites. You can also mount the IPAQ in a Vent mount which is a good position but it is a tight fit with the small vent openings on the E. You can also mount the unit using the Windshield extension suction cup on the side of the console which would be more hidden and not as obtrusive as the way I have it presently mounted.

I think the best setup is the package from Pocketmap store with their Bluetooth GPS unit and software with a HP IPAQ like the H2200 ( a super PDA and only $367 at eCost.com) The HP has Bluetooth, a SD and CF slot, and can be networked easily using the installed MS Pocket PC 2003 OS software.

I just reposted the images in the car on the URL from the 1st entry in the thread.

I failed to mention that the reason for this combination rather than a Garmin or Magellan unit is that I can use the IPAQ for many other functions. To spend a $1000 or so on a one use navigation unit was a waste of my money. This option allows me to make more use of the PDA when I do not need the navigation tool.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 01-25-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:34 PM

2003 E500 SPORT
Thumbs up

I used the NAVMAN i630 from GPSTORE.COM.

This unit not only looks great but uses the same software as my Lexus Sc430 except for the touchscreen. I used it in my non NAV car and quite honestly IF I had known how good it was I do not know now IF I would have ordered the second NAV car.....I highly recommend it for looks,cost and overall performance.

Derek.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:11 PM

2020 GLC300 4matic
Correction to above post. This is the URL link and correct unit ID.

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/11...516/nm630.html