E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 E350 wagon buyers advice what to look out for

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
320 CLK
W211 E350 wagon buyers advice what to look out for

Hi, I am in need of a new family car and have always loved the E-wagon. I grew up in Germany and my aunt used to have one. Considering the shortage in wagon options in the US, I really have my eyes on a 2007-2009 e350 Wagon. Before i make a purchase, I was hoping to get some advice on what to look out for. I hear the following can be issues.

Rear shocks
Cam shaft seals.
Transmission service shoudl be done (60K i believe)
Anything else.

My undestanding is that 2007 brought a face lift and addressed some of the electrical problems. Other than that, is there anything I need to be aware off, otherwise I hear these cars are rock solid. Exactly what I need as a single dad.

Your feedback is much appreciated..

Thanks
Robert
Old 04-20-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Wonderful car, my wife loves hers.

I would try to get a 2009 model if you can find one because the information and entertainment system is much better and Bluetooth and iPod integration is standard. I think the NAV was voice activated on 2009's. On pre-2009's you need to buy a Bluetooth connector (easy to find on Ebay for under $200) and you can only connect your iPod if the car has the optional iPod connector in the glove compartment. And it isn't integrated with the center console screen. If it doesn't have this, you can buy a module from Mid-City Electronics but it has to be installed and you lose your 6-CD changer.

In terms of issues: the rear shocks had a recall, so make sure that was done. Make sure the cargo area cover works. Ours broke twice. The first time it was just a faulty switch, which is a minor repair. Second time, it was the motor (over $600). Keyless Go on one door became inop (over $600 to fix).

At 39k miles, the transaxle fluid and transmission fluid should have been changed. At year 6-7, spark plugs. Check underneath for leaks. Twice the dealer fixed leaks we didn't know we had. We also had a leaking front shock, so we had to replace both front shocks for $1700. This is our first MB and it has not been without issues (only 45k miles to date) and the repairs are pricey. I would strongly advice a CPO to eliminate surprises.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Last edited by Long Islander; 04-20-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Familiarize yourself with PartsGeek.com and FCPEuro.com, as well as with Huskerparts.com. These three parts sources, combined with a good local independent mechanic, will make your life so much easier. I see you are on Long Island, so I can recommend Michael Singh at Cove Tire in sea cliff as the most honest guy (and honest mechanic) I've ever dealt with, and someone who is very good with Mercedes. He will try and try and try to find parts that are affordable yet quality. I am about to have the rear air springs replaced on our E500, and I will order the Arnott version, which everyone should use, from PartsGeek, for a fraction of what the dealer would want for the OEM solution, and have Michael put it in. You will probably need either an alternator or the voltage regulator in the alternator replaced at some point. Get a remanufactured one from someplace like Pep Boys for under a hundred and fifty bucks with a lifetime warranty, rather than paying 1200 dollars for one at the dealer. The alloy wheels take a pounding between Nassau County and the City, so I get them repaired at Al's Hubcap in Mineola. The place looks rough, but he does meticulous and affordable work and has done so for more than 30 years. I am going to need a battery soon, so I'm going to order a top-of-the-line Exide-made AGM group 49 battery for the car. But rather than paying north of 350 at the dealer, or 225 anywhere else, I will order it from Rural King online, using their brand battery, for $139. http://www.ruralking.com/automotive/...-agml5-49.html (It's basically an Exide Edge Group 49 H8 L5 AGM battery, for a fabulous price because it has a Rural King sticker with windmills on it. And on top of the great price, it's eligible for a $20 rebate from Exide, its manufacturer, through the end of August 2015. Can't wait for the Mercedes dealer to discover it in my trunk one day.) You do stuff like this, the car becomes relatively affordable to repair, and solid.

Last edited by wjcandee; 04-22-2015 at 01:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WFR817 (09-29-2017)
Old 04-21-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
320 CLK
Awesome guys. This is great feedback and I will consider all of them. I will keep the board posted on my purchase, I am super excited about a new car.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 154 Likes on 108 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by wjcandee
Familiarize yourself with PartsGeek.com and FCPEuro.com, as well as with Huskerparts.com. These three parts sources, combined with a good local independent mechanic, will make your life so much easier. I see you are on Long Island, so I can recommend Michael Singh at Cove Tire in sea cliff as the most honest guy I've ever dealt with, and someone who is very good with Mercedes. He will try and try and try to find parts that are affordable yet quality. I am about to have the rear air springs replaced on our E500, and I will order the Arnott version, which everyone should use, from PartsGeek, for a fraction of what the dealer would want for the OEM solution, and have Michael put it in. You will probably need either an alternator or the voltage regulator in the alternator replaced at some point. Get a remanufactured one from someplace like Pep Boys for under a hundred and fifty bucks with a lifetime warranty, rather than paying 1200 dollars for one at the dealer. The alloy wheels take a pounding between Nassau County and the City, so I get them repaired at Al's Hubcap in Mineola. The place looks rough, but he does meticulous and affordable work and has done so for more than 30 years. I am going to need a battery soon, so I'm going to order a top-of-the-line Exide-made AGM group 49 battery for the car. But rather than paying north of 350 at the dealer, or 225 anywhere else, I will order it from Rural King online, using their brand battery, for $139. You do stuff like this, the car becomes relatively affordable to repair, and solid.

Thanks for the recommendation. You can always email me kyleb@fcpeuro.com

--Kyle
Old 04-21-2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by rg0115
Awesome guys. This is great feedback and I will consider all of them. I will keep the board posted on my purchase, I am super excited about a new car.
You should be! Keep coming here and we will help you not to get ripped off on service. BTW, it might not have been clear, but Michael is my preferred, honest mechanic, not just a tire guy.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by FCPEuro
Thanks for the recommendation. You can always email me kyleb@fcpeuro.com

--Kyle
Thanks, Kyle!
Old 04-22-2015, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
I have an 04 and am extremely happy with it. I know folks here complain about the air suspension and the SBC system, but I cannot say the same for myself. I love the airmatic system, although I am not a big fan of the SBC, it has served us well.