E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

4-Matic R.H.D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
4-Matic R.H.D

Someone has asked me why 4-Matic is not an option in the UK and I was unable to give a satisfactory answer. I have been to a number of Mercedes-Benz sites World wide and cannot find a country that offers the 4-Matic E-class in Right hand drive format.

I wonder if it is a design problem?

(January One build and still waiting)

John
Old 01-27-2004, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting possibility. The 4-matic linkage does protrude into the right passenger side floor of the LHD 4-Matic E's. Maybe there is some problem manufacturing a mirror image which would then impede footwell room for the driver. More likely though it is just a matter of demand and time. The countries with RHD are smaller in number and snow and ice driving even more limited in same so the demand may simply not be there, at least comparatively.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, and I am sure you are correct on both counts.

The most popular and best selling large estate car in the UK is the Volvo XC90, so there is obviously a market for this type of vehicle. I would guess it is very popular with both the 'horsey' types along with boat and caravan owners.

I nearly purchased an Audi A6 Quattro 2.8TDi, but went for the E320CDI.

It sounds like the protusion into the drivers well would be a major problem though.

Thanks again,
John
Torquay