E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
View Poll Results: What went bad on your car?
Mechanical (engine, brakes, etc)
8.00%
Electrical (windows, roof, etc)
52.00%
Finish (trim, ect)
0%
Fancy technology (anything not standard on a stripped E320)
44.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Why is the E unreliable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 BMW 330i ZHP / '06 Volvo V70R
Why is the E unreliable?

I keep hearing about all these issues about the E-class in here. It is my hypothesis that the "car" is not really THAT unreliable, but rather all the fancy toys that are options people order, or stuff related to that technology.

In other words, would you have had issues if you had bought a completely stripped E320?

So, let's see just what are the issues you've had.

VOTE USING THESE PARAMETERS!!!

1. Mechanical:

Brakes, Engine, transmission, BASE suspension

2. Electrical:

Power windows, roof, radio, BASIC power seats.

3. Finish

Interior trim, seats, etc

4. Fancy technology (some are only options)

Active/Dynamic seats, keyless go, NAV, airmatic suspension, active headlights, ventilated seats, etc. Basically anything you don't get on a stripped E320.

Briefly describe your problem as well.

Last edited by mbr129; 01-28-2004 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
so far my E is not having problem....hopefully it always stay like that!!
Old 01-28-2004, 04:53 PM

2013 GL550
In 17,000 miles:
Rain sensor/light sensor replaced
Battery control module
Audio Gateway

Chattering wiper problem on another visit but all the above I put under "electrical".

Test driving a LS430 with sport package this weekend. Two co-workers have Lexus's and have had zero issues and both have over 25K miles. Hmmmm.....

Bruce
Old 01-28-2004, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
just read in a car magazine about the long-term road test of the '03 E500.

20,000 miles, no problems what-so-ever. Been in for one service. Runs great. I'll scan in the article in a little bit, it's a little blub.

Strange tho, it says "out of warranty service (service A & B)" - $0, while the other two long term cars had a price listed when it's out of warranty for service.....
Old 01-28-2004, 07:10 PM

2013 GL550
I think it's the inconsistency of reliability - you shouldn't have to "hope" you get a good car. I think some of these E's just are not up to the usual reliability standards we come to expect from premium nameplates. Plus the fact that many us are seeing the same problem. That points to a design or supplier quality issue.

My previous car was an Audi S4. Lot's of stories of blown turbos and tranny problems with that car. Mine had the CD player go bad and that was it in 36K miles. You never know. I love my E500 but am uncertain about post warranty reliability.

Bruce
Old 01-28-2004, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
yes, there is a inconsistancy on reliability or not even reliability problems (usually it doesn't leave you stranded or anything) but problems that give headaches, so more along the lines of build quality perhaps? When you say reliability, most are thinking of, "does it leave you stranded somewhere?" "does it mechanically function that gets you from point A to B", you know what i'm saying?

i've had no problems with the cars listed in my sig, other than minor issues (like cup holder not closing, wear and tear items on my 94 due to age, chattering wipers on the S). Some others have a lot of problems, so your right on some people don't got problems and some have major issues.

But, all that said, I think MB is on the road back to earn it's name back. They have cut down on installing the latest technology in the upcoming models. Example, the new w221 S-Class...from what i've read, pretty much just a redesign of the car, and some minor technological changes, not like before where they were implementing tons of things into a new car. So I think they have listened to the surveys and ratings to realize that they should start focusing on regaining the name "Mercedes" and what that usually means to people (quality, luxury, dependability, etc). Only time will tell, but most believe they're shootin' towards that goal.

My .02
Old 01-28-2004, 07:38 PM

2013 GL550
Good points GDawg. The Battery Module did leave me stranded and had to call MB to get it into the shop. My 1990 Q45 only needed fuel injectors at 75K miles. The rest was wear and tear stuff, which I expect. (but even that was covered on the S4!)
If I have 3 unexpected service visits per year, that's too many on a $65K car, especially when I can find numerous friends and associates that have no repair visits on the Lexus/Toyota/Honda side.

If my E500 needs nothing else I will be happy - but you can bet I will not keep it past the mfgr warranty. I do hope that MB gets it's quality back on track.

Bruce
Old 01-28-2004, 09:46 PM

2003 E320, 2003 SLK 320, Honda S2000, Honda Element
The audio gateway was serviced twice. First time they "upgraded" the software. The second time they replaced "it" altogether. On the other hand when I had a flat 3 weeks after buying it the service truck was there in less than 15 minutes and the dealer comped a brand new tire, no questions asked. Car's now got 13000 miles on it and it's given me no problems.

Note: I don't have NAV, but did do xenons, air suspension, dynamic front seats, H&K, and sunroof