E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Camber (front) Repair Bolt Mixed with Original

Old 07-03-2015, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
Camber (front) Repair Bolt Mixed with Original

Hi All.

While replacing the front suspension on my '05 W211, I noticed that there is a slotted repair bolt on the drivers side control arm for camber adjustment. The passenger side control arm still has the original (non-slotted) bolt. Seems a bit odd to me that they would be mixed like that.

I'm replacing both lower control arms. Do I need to put a repair bolt on the passenger side or can I leave it how it was?

What is this "washer fix" that I've seen mentioned in some other threads? Is there some method of using washers with the original bolts to manipulate the camber?

Both torque struts (caster adjustment) still have the original bolts. No plans to change those.

For what it's worth, I've had normal tire wear with only a slight pull to the right.

Last edited by jkv11503; 07-03-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 718 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
First measure your caster and camber, then decide if you need the adjustment bolts. They only offer a very limited amount of adjustment. Search on this and you'll find some more info.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:01 AM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
First measure your caster and camber, then decide if you need the adjustment bolts. They only offer a very limited amount of adjustment. Search on this and you'll find some more info.
I'll be taking it for an alignment as soon as I finish getting it back together. I've read a bunch of threads about the repair bolts, how they work, camber specs, etc. What I couldn't find was anyone who spoke about whether it's ok to mix the bolts (repair bolt one side with original on the other).

I'm guessing it must be ok since I've gone this long with them mixed and haven't noticed any problems. Although I say that yet I did have a slight pull to the right which could have been caused by camber out of adjustment.

Let's say I get it all together and torqued and the alignment shop shows that it needs the camber adjusted. Is it easy enough to remove, replace and/or adjust the camber adjustment bolt from the lower control arm without disassembling any other parts of the suspension? Would I do this with the car on ramps or with it on jacks?

I'm also wondering if I should order a repair bolt and have it with me just in case the alignment shop needs to adjust the camber.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
You can mix them, if you only needed adjustment on one side you would only install one bolt theoretically. Most dealers/shops sell them in pairs, but it's not a lot of adjustment anyway, max is only about +/- .3 degrees.

Get it aligned and see if it's off enough to warrant a change. The bolts aren't expensive either way, for stock or adjustable slotted ones.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:01 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by jkv11503
Let's say I get it all together and torqued and the alignment shop shows that it needs the camber adjusted. Is it easy enough to remove, replace and/or adjust the camber adjustment bolt from the lower control arm without disassembling any other parts of the suspension? Would I do this with the car on ramps or with it on jacks?
Thanks for the replies. I dug a little more and learned that the camber adjustment bolt can be removed when the suspension is fully rebounded (on jack stands).