E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Does anyone know the thinking behind the running lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Does anyone know the thinking behind the running lights?

I noticed there are settings on the light switch to turn on either the left side front & rear running lights or the right side running lights. Does anyone know the thinking behind this? It makes no sense to me, and Ive never seen it on any American car.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
They are parking lights. You're supposed to switch on the side lights that face oncoming traffic whilst you are parked.

I have had many cars that have had this feature, but rarely use it.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
As a point of interest it is illegal in the UK to park a motor vehicle on a public highway at night facing oncoming traffic.

Parking lights were a thing very much of the past, and if you park a vehicle at night on an unlit road, or a road where the speed limit is above 30 mph then you must display side lights (on both sides) to the front and rear.

Whew!!!

John
Old 02-01-2004, 02:38 PM

2003 E500
Originally posted by Fastbuck
They are parking lights. You're supposed to switch on the side lights that face oncoming traffic whilst you are parked.

I have had many cars that have had this feature, but rarely use it.
I understand what your saying, but I still dont get it. Why wouldnt you just turn on all 4 parking lights? That way other cars would see your whole car and not just a side as they approached. It must be a european thing, because ive never seen it in any US cars.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by gbrandon
I understand what your saying, but I still dont get it. Why wouldnt you just turn on all 4 parking lights? That way other cars would see your whole car and not just a side as they approached. It must be a european thing, because ive never seen it in any US cars.
i think its because so people dont think your on the main road, and you are braking, if it is really dark, so they wont follow you. i also believe its in the manual.

i believe thats the same reasoning on the fog light, it is only the rear left if you turn it on
Old 02-01-2004, 03:52 PM

2003 E-500
I used to live in England and asked the same question when there. As noted by others, parking lights are required on certain streets when parking in England. To save the batttery, they would only use the lights on one side as opposed to all lights.

The British also used to be concerned about their generators putting out enough power in older cars when driving at night in towns so would often drive with just their dim parking lights on. (all of them and not just one side). That seemed really dumb to me but they used to do it in the 60's and 70's. Even the busess would do it sometimes. I think they have gotten away from using parking lights while driving today but the use of the far side only parking light still exists in England and other European cities to some extent. The Lucas electrics on most of the British vehicles were VERY unreliable in the past but don't think this was the reason for the requirement.

Perhaps some of our international forum members will give us their thoughts on this question.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
As I stated in my previous post. In the United Kingdom it is not legal to use these as Parking lights. If you park in an area that requires your car displays lights then they must be illuminated on both sides of the vehicle and be no more than I believe 7 watts.

This was the case in the 1970's as well. I can remember my father using an old parafin oil lamp, but that was in the 1950's.

So it looks like your enquiries must be aimed at the other parts of Europe.

Regards,
John
Old 02-02-2004, 08:13 PM

i use them..if i park briefly to go into a store and have to park on a crowded street, i turn on the left side. let's folks know that you're there.