E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New Nav DVD disk version upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Nav DVD disk version upgrade

I asked my service rep today if there had been an upgrade to the NAV disk, since I have noticed that it has had several occassions of not being up to date on roads. He checked and replied that a new version had been released several months ago, and I would have to pay $270 for it.

Has anyone else upgraded to the newer disk? Why is this not covered under warrantee?
Old 02-09-2004, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: New Nav DVD disk version upgrade

Originally posted by pat a.
I asked my service rep today if there had been an upgrade to the NAV disk, since I have noticed that it has had several occassions of not being up to date on roads. He checked and replied that a new version had been released several months ago, and I would have to pay $270 for it.

Has anyone else upgraded to the newer disk? Why is this not covered under warrantee?
can u ask him what is the date on the CD. they are not part of the warranty probably because they arent mass produced for MB, and it isnt std. equipment for every car. you can do the navup system. check www.mbusa.com for that, i believe its cheaper
Old 02-11-2004, 05:40 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
if you are going to buy the update, I suggest looking into their Navupdate program (I think they talk about it in the insert in the DVD Nav cover you got with the car), but it is something like $550 for 3 yrs instead of $270 for 1.

Apurva
Old 02-11-2004, 07:39 PM

Jesus-

I wouldn't mind paying for the upgrade program if the disk I got with the car was up to date when I got it....
Old 02-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally posted by pat a.
I wouldn't mind paying for the upgrade program if the disk I got with the car was up to date when I got it....
If the disc was updated before you took delivery and your car was delivered with an expired disc, it is common sense that the dealer should swap out the disc at no cost to you. Try pushing for the Navupdate program at no cost because this is the dealership's error.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i dont think they could have gaven u a "expired" one because i think there is only one disk out right now, i believe its the 07/01. i would still do navupdate though, a lot cheaper, and you dont have to know when the new ones come out, since they should send them to u automatically
Old 02-11-2004, 11:37 PM

This whole 'outdated-disc' thing is REALLY annoying.

I had to visit an office complex today which has been around for at least 18 months, and neither it, nor the road it is built on, nor the road that leads to it, nor the road that leads to that were on the map. I was 'off-road' the whole time.

This happens to me about 3 or 4 times a month. The nav implementation for COMAND sucks to begin with, and my annoyance is compounded by the fact that I can't find any of my friends' houses on the damn thing.

MB should offer the discs for free for at least one year (maybe like Teleaid?).

At least get us an updated disc to begin with!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I too have noticed a ton of errors with the disc. Not only with imperfections with the roadway, but a LOT of misinformation with the POI's. Incomplete phone numbers, or positioning totally off. Rural area coverage is horrible. Certain highways it will show me off road, and when you look at the map, you see that they have the roadway going about 150 feet in another direction, then eventually coming back.

Although, I have to say that the coverage of a place like NYC is pretty solid. If you travel down Broadway, it will change names several times as it also gives the fun names.

Anyone know who actually provides the map for them? Navtech?
Old 02-12-2004, 10:20 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Yes, the Nav has often tried to make me turn onto roads that don't exists, or vice versa.

BTW, do any of you find that the Nav GPS is off by about 50 feet. It tells you to turn late and then you miss the turns, turn warning is not given enough in advance...
Old 02-12-2004, 10:29 AM

Abhansali, I have that exact problem - I took the service department manager for a ride in my car to demonstrate, he agreed that it was a problem, but tried another car and said he saw the saem thing - conclusion, thats the way the system is....nothing we can do.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
WOW! This is the exact same problem that I posted about a while ago. It was perfect for about two months, but then suddenly it was first around 200-500 feet off, but then I resetted the whole thing, and it is now only about 50 feet off. Luckily, it shows me about 50 feet before where I should be, so the Nav will inform me of turns well before the position, but will also show me on parallel roads sometimes if one is too close.

If it is a problem on all of our cars, then maybe MB is working on a fix? Or maybe they already fixed it in the most recent firmware upgrade for COMAND that is slowly being delivered to MB US dealers?
Old 02-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Almost a Member!

How about this...

1. The Nav doesn't recognize the address of the MB dealership where I bought the car!

2. Once the hitleresque voice of Nav commanded me to take a left turn while driving on a freeway.

My portable Garmin looks like a supercomputer in comparison to what I've in the MB.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:05 PM

2003 E500 SPORT
Thumbs down

When I first got my Lexus SC430 with standard Nav. I found out the month I bought it in 2002 the Nav.software had been upgraded after the fact. The dealer was willing to sell me the update for $200. I called the Lexus Service Center from their phone and quickly put the General Manager on the line and got it gratis.

Lo and Behold the E500 Nav replacement came in July 2003. I too, like some of you saw gremlins of unknown areas that had been there for over a year..............I have called Benz and last week requested a NEW upgrade at N/C. The service rep. said she would have to check it out..........I told her if she came back with a no can do attitude her boss had better make the call.

It is amazing the office rats who only get their cars as company paid never realize that their fate for their jobs rest on the voices they will never meet asking for stuff that does not cost them a dime now but can cost the whole org. big bucks down the road.

Derek.