W211 COMAND won't play cd/dvd mp3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 320CDTI
W211 COMAND won't play cd/dvd mp3

Hi experts,

This is my first post. I've been looking for a solution among related posts but although there are a lot of comments on the comand functionality I haven't found anything exactly like mine.
I've been struggling to get my COMAND to work with mp3 written CDs/DVDs. My car is a 2004 (from Germany) W211 with COMAND NTG1 (I believe... navi in the trunk, separate gateway, etc.)

According to the Engineering Mode the sw version on my comand is 15/2004 (9.390 - 04151AD3 whatever this means...). I also read in some threads that this version should be able to play mp3 discs. The hidden menu tells the same: I was able to enable the mp3 mode.

What's wrong then? Anytime I'm trying to insert an mp3 DVD/CD in the HU (obviously not the changer) I get the DVD menu with "Play", "Menu". If I hit play the HU freezes, when I hit back, or Menu the display tells DVD Error.

Symptoms: I do hear some searching after adding a disc but definitely no spinning. Might be the spin motor?

Actually before I was able to get threw the DVD Error I had to pull Fuse #28 out for a minute. Before that I didn't even get to the menu, only DVD error every single time.

Question: Are my mp3 discs recognized as mp3 discs? I believe it shouldn't be a menu with "Play" if the disc was read as an mp3...

Another clue: DVD-s (normal videos) wont play eighter.

Maybe it's dust... Should I buy a cleaning disc? Should I take it out, then apart, clean it DIY style?

Should I just simply be satisfied with the aux in? It would be much-much better to use mp3 discs and the HU itself.

Thanks in advance!