E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

4-Matic front CV boots replacement PICTORIAL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E 430 4MATIC - 2008 S5504Matic
j.Lahey
When you say clamps, are you talking about clamps to pull the axle out? If so, I saw a bunch of videos about this before I ever tried pulling the axles. I have to say, pulling the axles was the easiest part of the job. I dont know why everyone makes such a big deal about it. I did this job on an E class with 4Matic, and 2 different S class 4 Matic. All were very simple. I just got a big screw driver an pried it against a part of the frame or solid part at the area where the axle goes in and they all popped out very easily. I see all these videos with guys getting crazy trying to get the axle out. I dont understand the problem. They come out very easily.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:22 PM

W211
Bearing possible

Originally Posted by kajtek1
The inner joint shaft comes out of its housing.
Make sure you don't drop the 3 bearing into dust.
Do you remember which side or how to put the bearings inside? I removed them, cleaned but i do not remembered which side to put. They fit either way

Old 10-19-2021, 03:07 AM

W211 2003 E500 4matic
Originally Posted by Alfiere
Do you remember which side or how to put the bearings inside? I removed them, cleaned but i do not remembered which side to put. They fit either way

I think the bearings were in the bearing hub so that the protruding side was oriented to the outside, just like I think you can see from the lower picture where the bearings are still intact. If that's what you were asking?

I didn't disassemble bearings at all, just wiped them as good as I could without separating the bearing parts. Then placed them back on the same place in bearing hub and in same holes in the bearing cup.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:12 AM

W211 2003 E500 4matic
Originally Posted by chrise&sclass
j.Lahey
When you say clamps, are you talking about clamps to pull the axle out? If so, I saw a bunch of videos about this before I ever tried pulling the axles. I have to say, pulling the axles was the easiest part of the job. I dont know why everyone makes such a big deal about it. I did this job on an E class with 4Matic, and 2 different S class 4 Matic. All were very simple. I just got a big screw driver an pried it against a part of the frame or solid part at the area where the axle goes in and they all popped out very easily. I see all these videos with guys getting crazy trying to get the axle out. I dont understand the problem. They come out very easily.
Ok, interesting. Maybe there are some variations within E-class 4matics then? The car in question was E500 airmatic 4matic.

I can't remember seeing anything to pry against, otherwise I believe we would have definitely tried to take advantage of that since we were struggling to fit the clamp for a quite long time.
Once we got that exhaust clamp fitted, getting the axle was quite easy.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by chrise&sclass
j.Lahey
It just depends how old the axle is and how much rust you have on it. I needed to use the muffler clamp the first time. No issue getting it on though, it was a 2008 E350 so maybe there was more room. The old one was a bit rusted. We did grease it up a little before putting in the new one. The new one caused a vibration so when I got the boot kit and reused the old one, the second time it came out easily as it hadn't been in there that long to rust in tight.