E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New E500 delivered last week- problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
New E500 delivered last week- problems

1. Like all other 3 mercedes i have. All had alignment problem right out of dealer's lot. All pulls to the right. Although this one has the least pull.

2. This E500 also has another problem. Right after start, you can hear rumbling sound coming from the front, the car would shake. Same thing happens if the tranmission moves from reverse to drive, or drive to reverse. The car would shake as well. I am suspecting something is wrong with either transmission or vaccume leak somewhere.

hope the problem would be resolved. This is my new daily driver. It has to be as trouble free as my van.

As soon as the issues gets resolved. Need to start mod the car.

Anyone know if the new active cornering bi-xeon can be retrofitted? Also, anyone has connection on getting a euro command+ navigation drive?
Old 02-25-2004, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've got an E500 AND a E55! Nice!

Did you pick it up from Beshoff?
Old 02-25-2004, 02:39 PM

04 E55
yeap. got it dirt cheap too. however, i can't disclose the reason behind it.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:29 PM

Smile

Hey guys... On 2/16/04 I lost my new E500 in Fremont, CA. Anyone seen it? Just kidding... Sorry to hear about your troubles, how helpful has your service dealer been? Did you buy it the same place you are servicing it?

-A.T.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,431 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
Re: New E500 delivered last week- problems

Originally posted by krispykrme
Anyone know if the new active cornering bi-xeon can be retrofitted?
Originally posted by jbmaxx
UPDATE
8:00 tomorrow the (retrofit) installation of the (cornering) xenon will take place. I will post on the results!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=58086
Old 02-25-2004, 04:19 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Re: New E500 delivered last week- problems

2. This E500 also has another problem. Right after start, you can hear rumbling sound coming from the front, the car would shake. Same thing happens if the tranmission moves from reverse to drive, or drive to reverse. The car would shake as well. I am suspecting something is wrong with either transmission or vaccume leak somewhere.

Hi there

Glad to see you join this thread.

If this rumbling sound is due to the transmission, I think this is new. I personally have seen various W211s (others here have experienced too) with groaning and rumbling due to the Sensatronic Braking System. It appears when it recharges, it rumbles. I am assuming that you have your feet on the brakes when you shift from Park to Drive or Drive to Reverse. If your brakes are applied, the recharging takes place and thus the groan and rumble. Just a thought ....

Have your stealer check it out since you have been such a great customer ....

If my assumption is right, which is the rumble is caused by the brakes, have them install a dampling kit and even replace the brake hoses. The rumble will diminish greatly

GL
Old 02-25-2004, 04:41 PM

04 E55
Re: Re: New E500 delivered last week- problems

Originally posted by GearHead
Hi there

Glad to see you join this thread.

If this rumbling sound is due to the transmission, I think this is new. I personally have seen various W211s (others here have experienced too) with groaning and rumbling due to the Sensatronic Braking System. It appears when it recharges, it rumbles. I am assuming that you have your feet on the brakes when you shift from Park to Drive or Drive to Reverse. If your brakes are applied, the recharging takes place and thus the groan and rumble. Just a thought ....

Have your stealer check it out since you have been such a great customer ....

If my assumption is right, which is the rumble is caused by the brakes, have them install a dampling kit and even replace the brake hoses. The rumble will diminish greatly

GL
I drove it again just about 5 minutes ago. It appears to be the brakes as you stated. I actually sat in the car and step on the brake. And the rumbling is loud.

I never suspected it was the brakes because my E55 has no problem with this.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:34 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Re: Re: Re: New E500 delivered last week- problems

I drove it again just about 5 minutes ago. It appears to be the brakes as you stated. I actually sat in the car and step on the brake. And the rumbling is loud.

I never suspected it was the brakes because my E55 has no problem with this.
With all the robotics that MB is utilizing, I am surprise with my following comments .... "NOT all MBs are created with the same quality"

Reason for my comment is that I have 2 co-workers with W211s of earlier built then mine, and I know for a fact that they have had no work done on their brakes and yet theirs don't groan like my brakes(before the repairs done). Another coworker with W211 and his was just like mine with the same complaint.

At the end of the day, I started to reference what my Old Man used to say, "don't buy a car built on Monday or Friday". Has Stuttgart contracted the ills of Detriot of yester years???
Old 02-25-2004, 09:37 PM

MBenz
RE: GearHead

GearHead:

I think mine has rumbling sound too once in a while, but I don't feel bothered and I can work with it. So, is it okay to leave it like that w/o affecting other functions OR I have to fix it?

Please advise,
Old 02-26-2004, 12:39 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Re: RE: GearHead

Originally posted by lpolo

I think mine has rumbling sound too once in a while, but I don't feel bothered and I can work with it. So, is it okay to leave it like that w/o affecting other functions OR I have to fix it?

Please advise,
As far as I know, the SBC recharging is part of the design. Rumbling sound will not affect the operation of the car.

I complaint to my stealership because W211 is no Kia or Jeep Wrangler. After paying a small ransome for it, I had expected a refined car w/o any groaning, creaking, or rumbling. If I had paid half as much for it, I will have tolerated a bit more.

So, long story short, if you are fine with the rumbling, you don't have to bring it in.