E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

URGENT!!! European Active Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 Black/Charcoal, Appearance and Premium Packages, Keyless Go and Remote Trunk Closer
Originally posted by glojo
This thread has certainly confirmed my suspicions. At present I believe that Mercedes-Benz UK has made a forgiveable error in so far as the order form that was submitted requested Active Headlights. The computer printout shows my vehicle as being built with various options including Active Headlights. The Vehicle Data Sheet displays my vehicle as having Active Headlights, so when I contacted them they told me in good faith that my vehicle was indeed fitted with all the options that I had requested.

Where it starts to get into your conclusion (and please do not think I am disagreeing with you) is at the Dealership. I have at all times been both polite and respectful, but the Senior Technical Supervisor at the dealership informed me that he had checked a number of E-class vehicles that had Active Headlights and they all only carried out the Up\Down pre-check!!!

So you have drawn a conclusion that is very difficult to disagree with.

I have now seen video evidence which corroborates exactly what you, Oslo, and jholt1 have kindly stated. I have left a message on the dealers answerphone for him to contact me first thing.

jbmaxx has had a retrofit and is no doubt taking an interest in this thread. Reading his comments I do not feel happy about going down that avenue, but obviously I will have to hear what the dealer has to say tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for contributing to this thread, your comments have been greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John Shorter
Torquay
South Devon
This might be a case of confusion caused by semantics.

The original appearance package listed "active headlights". This does not mean "CORNERING Headlights" which is now included with appearance packages since late January. If your headlights go up and down but DO NOT turn or "corner" then you indeed have active headlights.

HOWEVER....,

Is it possible your dealer did not understand that they needed to order the package that included cornering headlights? I don't know if dealers in the U.K. are as uninformed as some dealers in the USA but it's a possibility.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Active headlights or Cornering headlights....They are BOTH THE SAMETHING.....Two different terms describing the same system.... The self leveling check that the headlights do have nothing to do with the active feature, but part of the self leveling system.... Glojo's car obviously has a system not currently working correctly or it doesn't have it at all.... As you may or may not know I reordered my car after the first one came in without this feature. The dealer had no clue it was a factory delayed feature here in the U.S.A. My new car is to arrive here in the states on the 16th of this month and is to have the active headlights / cornering headlights or what ever you want to call them....

Last edited by HELL ONA HARLEY; 03-09-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Almost a Member!

E500 Black/Charcoal, Appearance and Premium Packages, Keyless Go and Remote Trunk Closer
Originally posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Active headlights or Cornering headlights....They are BOTH THE SAMETHING.....

Unfortunately, I am in the uneviable position to have had two E500's in the last 3 months. MBUSA re-purchased my original car due to problems. I have the original stickers from both cars. Anyway the first car had a build date of 11/2003 and the sticker says "Bi-Xeon headlamps".

The replacement car with an 01/04 build date has a sticker that says "Bi-Xenon Cornering Headlamps". So, my hypothesis was that the term active might have been the term used originally.

After getting home, I checked both stickers and the brochure and you are probably right. The term active is used in the brochure, while "cornering" will appear on your sticker (at least for USA cars).

Harley... I hope you get a a perfect car the first time. It's a real trauma to have to wait so long and then hand it over again and drive loaners for a month while waiting for a replacement.

Last edited by benzboy56; 03-09-2004 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
benzboy,
I actually consider myself lucky..... We relized the car didn't have the active headlights before I took delivery, so I simply didn't accept the first car and reorderd the other that is now on its way. It sounds like the system is a fine option and works great and I hope it was worth the extra wait. I also figured this second car may infact have a few less gremlins than the previous E's
Goodluck with your new ride.....
Old 03-10-2004, 01:24 AM

Just looked it up in the manual, and the correct name of the option is: Bi-Xenon Headlamps with Active Cornering Headlamp System
Old 03-10-2004, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally posted by benzboy56
This might be a case of confusion caused by semantics.

The original appearance package listed "active headlights". This does not mean "CORNERING Headlights" which is now included with appearance packages since late January. If your headlights go up and down but DO NOT turn or "corner" then you indeed have active headlights.

HOWEVER....,

Is it possible your dealer did not understand that they needed to order the package that included cornering headlights? I don't know if dealers in the U.K. are as uninformed as some dealers in the USA but it's a possibility.
To answer your questions in a constructive manner, I would first recommend you get acquainted with the different option packages of the various countries.

The UK version of the E-class Avantgarde has Bi-Xeon headlights fitted as standard. ‘Oslo’ has already explained that the option we are discussing is UK option 616. which the brochures calls Bi-Xeon Headlamps with Active Light System, and I have called Active Headlight System.

It is definitely NOT a case of confusion, semantics, or a ‘misunderstanding’. At present I am of the opinion that the factory has somehow managed to construct my car in the full knowledge of the options required, but have somehow omitted ‘616’ I am certainly NOT accusing them of anything further. We are all human and certainly make mistakes.

The dealer side of this issue is far more complex, at first I was told, yes I have the system, but it does not activate until you travel at speeds in excess of 30 mph (50kph).

When I still insisted that I had my doubts on whether my car had the option, and I explained the ‘pre-check’ that we are now fully aware of. I was told that checks had been made with Mercedes-Benz UK and the system I had was behaving correctly!!!!

Stage three was when I dug my heels in and the Technical Supervisor at the dealership assured me that he had checked a number of new E-class with option 616 and they all behave in the same fashion!!!!!!

We are now at Stage 4 where I have politely told the technical supervisor that I have video footage of a UK 211 E-class with option 616 that does indeed do the full pre-check procedure. He has immediately changed ‘tack’ and has now requested to hold onto my vehicle to get this sad saga sorted out. He is also now convinced that my car does indeed have a problem!!!!! I will be asking today about the alleged new E-class that he supposedly checked????

I have not named the dealership because I do not think it will help my cause. They have always been polite, quick to respond to my calls, they have travelled 30 miles to collect my vehicle and leave me with a C 220CDI saloon. I also think that perhaps they may apologise for some of their remarks.

I feel for jbmaxx, because it would appear that there is a slight possibility that he might not after all have your ‘cornering’ my active headlights.

Thanks again for your contribution,
John

Last edited by glojo; 03-10-2004 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:20 AM

This is exciting! Can't wait to hear how it turns out
Old 03-10-2004, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 5
Confusion reigns supreme. By sheer coincidence the Regional Mercedes-Benz representative was at my dealership when I phoned and he has now been dragged into the 'loop'

In all fairness the Technical Supervisor again checked a number of E-class that were in the Showroom, he also checked the directors E-class (which has option 616). ALL behaved in exactly the same manner as my vehicle.

A technician has connected their diagnostic computer to my vehicle and road tested it. The diagnostic computer stated that my headlights were working perfectly, tracking both left and right?? Furthermore the computer shows, 'No Faults' (a bit like last years European Song Contest, "England, Nil points" )

The Technical Supervisor has accepted my word that I have video footage, so he contacted Mercedes-Benz UK and told them that ALL his E-class with one exception that have option 616 fitted only carry out a short version of the pre-check, the other one (jholt1's E-class) carries out the full check???

UK were unable to give a satisfactory answer, and are now contacting the Factory in Germany.

My only comments are to firstly apologise for doubting the dealership, BUT I want my vehicle put onto a rolling road and then visually see the headlights actually tracking.

Obviously the ideal situation is to get the full pre-check working and this is my goal.

This is getting more exciting than the weekly instalments of 'West Wing'

Until Stage 6

Bye for now,
John
Old 03-12-2004, 04:09 AM

John!

Have you reached stage 6 yet?
Old 03-12-2004, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Oslo
John!

Today is allegedly the big day I am supposed to get some sort of answer.

Watch this space. BUT do NOT hold your breath

Regards,
John
Old 03-12-2004, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Oslo
John!

I see that you are still surfing, so thought I would let you know that the dealer has not heard back from Germany yet. However he now knows I haven't forgotten.

He informed me that the UK Service Manager was at the dealership and as soon as he has the oppurtunity he will be informing him of the situation regarding ALL their 211's with option 616 (Active Headlights )

Bye for now,
John
Old 03-12-2004, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Glojo,

This is more like weekly editions of "Survivor". I am now waiting to see who will be voted off of the island (UK)
Old 03-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Almost a Member!

e500 4matic
JUST TO ADD TO THE CONFUSION-

I TOOK DELIVERY OF MY US E500 4MATIC ON 3/8, WITH A BUILD DATE OF 2/4 /04. LOVE IT SO FAR......
THE WINDOW STICKER SAYS
322 APPEARANCE PACKAGE W/ "CORNERING"

PRE CHECK OF LIGHTS IS ONLY UP AND DOWN AND NOT SIDE TO SIDE.
BUT IT IS MOST OBVIOUS THAT LIGHTS CORNER ONCE MOVING. THE GARAGE DOOR TEST DOESNT WORK TO SHOW ANY MOVEMENT, BUT ON ROAD ABOVE ABOUT 10 MPH, THEY CORNER!!

SO , I AM HAPPY, BUT SOOOOO CONFUSED BY THIS THREAD......AS WHAT I HAVE DOESNT SEEM TO FIT WHAT WE ARE ALL TALKING ABOUT............

MAYBE THIS WILL HELP, BUT CONFUSION REIGNS.......

BRUCE LAZAR
Old 03-12-2004, 09:42 AM

That could explain it all. If you see them moving while driving, you should be fine. That leaves one possibility. They changed the "self-test" during the last month(s).
Old 03-12-2004, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by brlazar2
JUST TO ADD TO THE CONFUSION-

BUT IT IS MOST OBVIOUS THAT LIGHTS CORNER ONCE MOVING. THE GARAGE DOOR TEST DOESNT WORK TO SHOW ANY MOVEMENT, BUT ON ROAD ABOVE ABOUT 10 MPH, THEY CORNER!!

MAYBE THIS WILL HELP, BUT CONFUSION REIGNS.......

BRUCE LAZAR
You ALWAYS get one.

Hi Bruce,
Thanks very much indeed for your contribution. In a way it is helpful in so far as at least it now appears that this is not an isolated issue. I just love it though when a plan gets together!!

It does seem strange though that these pre-checks are behaving in different ways.

With your permission I would like to keep Mercedes-Benz informed of our 'progress' because so far they are of the opinion that EVERY Mercedes-Benz with the Active\Cornering Headlights behaves in the way that the video clearly highlights. Iam even more baffled than I was a few minutes ago.

Still, if I get voted off the Island, this problem would go away.

Thanks very much for your response,
John
Old 03-12-2004, 10:47 AM

04 E500 4MATIC WAGON
I am also waiting for a answer from MBUSA & Germany. They are looking at the video witch they requested I email to them, witch was on the 10, when they viewed the footage they immediately emailed it to Germany. As with others in this forum none of the cars at the dealership could DANCE as in the footage. I would like to thank all involved in making the video available.
I received a call yesterday the 11 from MBUSA that they have not heard back as of yet, but will be in touch soon.
It is amazing what the WEB can do, bubble or no bubble, this is a powerful consumer force!

BTW: In case this was lost, this is a link to the HELLA site and the PDF, scroll down to page 8 for all the versions of the headlights HELLA manufactures.

HELLA supplies all the headlights for mb.http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...inwerfer_e.pdf

Last edited by jbmaxx; 03-12-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi John,
The dealer has just phoned me to apologise, as he was expecting to have further information for me today

So Stage 6 looks like it will not happen until Monday at the earliest.

Bye for now
John

I asked our loocal paper how much it would cost to place an advert?

£5 an inch, was the reply

"Blow that," said I, "I've got a 40ft ladder to sell"

Regards,
John
Old 03-12-2004, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally posted by glojo
Stage 5
Confusion reigns supreme. By sheer coincidence the Regional Mercedes-Benz representative was at my dealership when I phoned and he has now been dragged into the 'loop'

In all fairness the Technical Supervisor again checked a number of E-class that were in the Showroom, he also checked the directors E-class (which has option 616). ALL behaved in exactly the same manner as my vehicle.

A technician has connected their diagnostic computer to my vehicle and road tested it. The diagnostic computer stated that my headlights were working perfectly, tracking both left and right?? Furthermore the computer shows, 'No Faults' (a bit like last years European Song Contest, "England, Nil points" )

The Technical Supervisor has accepted my word that I have video footage, so he contacted Mercedes-Benz UK and told them that ALL his E-class with one exception that have option 616 fitted only carry out a short version of the pre-check, the other one (jholt1's E-class) carries out the full check???

UK were unable to give a satisfactory answer, and are now contacting the Factory in Germany.

My only comments are to firstly apologise for doubting the dealership, BUT I want my vehicle put onto a rolling road and then visually see the headlights actually tracking.

Obviously the ideal situation is to get the full pre-check working and this is my goal.

This is getting more exciting than the weekly instalments of 'West Wing'

Until Stage 6

Bye for now,
John
Hi John...remember my earlier statement on the 320CDI thread...

"I am always amazed at the way MB does things...how they ever put a car together is beyond me sometimes."

Hope you get this worked out and MB can explain it to you.

Old 03-12-2004, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Nevada Jack
Hi John...remember my earlier statement on the 320CDI thread...

"I am always amazed at the way MB does things...how they ever put a car together is beyond me sometimes."

Hope you get this worked out and MB can explain it to you.

Thank you very much. I would like to say that practice makes perfect, but!!!!!

Thanks again,
John
Old 03-13-2004, 08:44 PM

2004 E500
Took delivery 13 Mar 2004

Car was built in January. E500 with Appearance 422

The headlights nod up and sideways on start-up. Hope this helps those wondering.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Took delivery 13 Mar 2004

Originally posted by Rudegar
Car was built in January. E500 with Appearance 422

The headlights nod up and sideways on start-up. Hope this helps those wondering.
Hi Rudegar,
Your response is most welcome. Now that US vehicles are getting this option it is clearly highlighting there is a problem with how the vehicle carries out the headlight pre-check. So far there have been four replies fromt the US. Two have checks similar to yours. One checks similar to mine and one that is 'irregular'

To my simple way of thinking there must surely be only one 'correct' method and this is way I appreciate any information.

If it is at all possible could you ask your dealer to check any other E-class in his showroom that are fitted with your headlight option??

Thanks again for your response,
John
Old 03-15-2004, 11:29 AM

04 E500 4MATIC WAGON
Would it be possible to post the vin# of the US cars witch have the dancing self check. A request from MBUSA N.Y.C.? They stated that they just delivered 2 E cars with active lights and they did not dance but just went up and down.
The saga continues!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:29 AM

04 E500 4MATIC WAGON
`
Old 03-15-2004, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by jbmaxx
Would it be possible to post the vin# of the US cars witch have the dancing self check. A request from MBUSA N.Y.C.? They stated that they just delivered 2 E cars with active lights and they did not dance but just went up and down.
The saga continues!
Two US members have very kindly responded to this thread. They are brlazar2 and I believe rudegar. Hopefully they will have read your request. If not would you like to p.m. them, or do you want me to?

It looks like MBUSA are now discovering the problem for themselves.

Good luck,
John
Old 03-15-2004, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by jbmaxx
The saga continues!
Sorry about this but I forgot to ask the obvious question. Can MBUSA N.Y.C. confirm that they have visually seen the active headlights actually 'tracking' both to the left and right?

Good luck,
John

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: URGENT!!! European Active Headlight Issue