Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Originally posted by DMI+RY
I end up with S-Class (of course).
Spent weeks debating over this dilemma...
Even waited for 320CDI to show up… I am 6’3” about 210 lbs and in W211 is not as comfortable to me as in W220.
No doubt that for over 10K less I got much better vehicle (including all S-Class standards as xenon, Airmatic, pneumatic doors & trunk, v8 5L engine, etc.).
The car is not new though and I liked W211 COMAND better then '01 W220. Yet, the look, comfort, performance and all the extras (like AMG package, distronic, A/C seats - see my sig) - I could not resist W220.
The W211 is a great car with very cool design and I like it very much… But not as much I like W220…
Another point was that from a few hundred feet away you can't really say from behind if its W211 or Camry - this doesn’t happens with W220 though…

Just my 2 cents

I could not agree more with your thoughts. It's like you took the words straight from my mouth. I'm glad to see that you went with the S Class. I think that will be the same choice I make as well.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Right, and smart decision. Congrat!
Old 05-13-2004, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E46 M3
Originally posted by DMI+RY
I end up with S-Class (of course).
Spent weeks debating over this dilemma...
Even waited for 320CDI to show up?I am 6??about 210 lbs and in W211 is not as comfortable to me as in W220.
No doubt that for over 10K less I got much better vehicle (including all S-Class standards as xenon, Airmatic, pneumatic doors & trunk, v8 5L engine, etc.).
The car is not new though and I liked W211 COMAND better then '01 W220. Yet, the look, comfort, performance and all the extras (like AMG package, distronic, A/C seats - see my sig) - I could not resist W220.
The W211 is a great car with very cool design and I like it very much?But not as much I like W220?
Another point was that from a few hundred feet away you can't really say from behind if its W211 or Camry - this doesn’t happens with W220 though?

Just my 2 cents

Congrats on your decision!
Old 05-13-2004, 10:45 AM

W220
Smile

To:
theitalianjob
Samoan_Ridah
Incendiary

Thanks all!

The car is smooth and very powerful. AMG package looks really cool and handling is very sporty… Yet it is a truly luxury car that makes you want to keep driving it…
I fell in love with Parktronic and Distronic and I am afraid I that no other car without these features would be considered anymore…
Seats are very comfortable (Multicontour) and once you adjust them properly – they are really good. Massage feature is kind of weird but at the same time really cool.

Phone and VCS with voice recognition is very nice to have (especially when you can get pulled over in NYC for using cell phone while driving). Voice Recognition is not 100% accurate but once you start using it, it becomes very natural and very cool.

Hopefully, the car would last a while without major problems… (also purchased WarrantyDirect for 4 years / 100k mi)

Old 05-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Good choice.

I am also in the market of a larger sedan as well. However my choices are between the S500 or a LS430 (used)

I took a look at someone mentioning that the new S will probably lower the value of the current W220, and since I am not that big in a hurry, I'll probably wait.

Another concern I have of the S classes .. because of its many gadgetry .... potentially, there could be many little problems here and there.. but I guess it comes with the territory.

I have driven both S500 and LS430, I would say there is nothing that could compare to a true MB even the LS is definitely very close and VERY quiet and smooth... but lacks the character of a MB
Old 05-13-2004, 11:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
Originally posted by TorontoW210
Good choice.

I am also in the market of a larger sedan as well. However my choices are between the S500 or a LS430 (used)

I took a look at someone mentioning that the new S will probably lower the value of the current W220, and since I am not that big in a hurry, I'll probably wait.

Another concern I have of the S classes .. because of its many gadgetry .... potentially, there could be many little problems here and there.. but I guess it comes with the territory.

I have driven both S500 and LS430, I would say there is nothing that could compare to a true MB even the LS is definitely very close and VERY quiet and smooth... but lacks the character of a MB
I don't think the S-Classes are that bad in terms of electrical gremlins. Certainly nothing like the E-, C-, and M-Classes, at least...
Old 05-14-2004, 01:13 AM

W220
Good choice.

I was concerned about some S-Class problems as well (especially electric and high-tech issues). I also bought extended warranty from warrantydirect.com (after thorough research) that should cover any nuances for the next 4 years
Old 05-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Warranty is one thing, but having to bring the car in and out of the garage is another...

As long as no major problems with the S class, I am happy. There will always be some clitches here and there.. as long as it doesn't afftect too much on the car, it should be fine.. I am sure even a Lexus will not be perfect even though they 'relentlessly pursue it' haha
Old 05-14-2004, 10:35 AM

W220
Warranty is one thing, but having to bring the car in and out of the garage is another...

As long as no major problems with the S class, I am happy. There will always be some clitches here and there.. as long as it doesn't afftect too much on the car, it should be fine.. I am sure even a Lexus will not be perfect even though they 'relentlessly pursue it' haha
Before picking up my S500 I tried to dig as much information about S-Class issues/problems as possible...
There seems to be that the problems on car by car basis - mostly electric/electronic components. Yet I noticed that once many people after paying big $$ for S-Class become very suspicious about every single "not-as-supposed-to-be" thing, which is not the case with lower segment cars (including Toyota's upscale).
Besides the car itself and engine performance, W220 is LOADED with little things that keep you happy while you are driving. Obviously, the more complicated it becomes, the more vulnerabilities it inherits....

Old 05-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Almost a Member!

I agree 100%

Usually MB owners especially the higher end would probably demand more perfection from their close to $100K car.

As well, more techie gadget means more chances some of these things may go wrong as time passes.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60379

Same discussion you're having here regarding "higher end cars" and the "higher expectations" the owners have. Read marcio's comments in particular. He makes some very cogent points.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:47 PM

W220
I agree 100%

Usually MB owners especially the higher end would probably demand more perfection from their close to $100K car.
Yup, most of the MB owners (cars up to 5-7 years) are upper middle class and up. And most of those people are ridiculously picky... especially when paying those premiums on cars like E-Class and up...