E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bi-Xenon Info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Bi-Xenon Info

I went to the dealer today to get my computer set to Xenon_present and I was told that you cant just change the headlight assembly's out and get the bi-xenon option. he mentioned some sensors on the front axles that are for leveling the headlights and some other things. He mentioned that the complete kit to do it right was around $5,000. When researching the swap from halagon to Xenon on here I never remember coming across this information. I know it will work just to install the headlight assembly's out and do the Xenon_present option with the computer but why hasnt anyone else mentioned what the dealer told me? Is anyone else aware of this?

-Geoff
Old 03-17-2004, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bi-xenon cars are equipped with Auto-leveling. The sensor is mounted on the front sway bar. Halogen cars do not have such sensor. If you were to ADD the auto-leveling on a non-bi-xenon car, the labor involved would be costly. However, you can always make the headlight adjustment manually through the assembly itself. IMO, auto-leveling is not significant enough to have you spending the extra money.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:38 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
Based upon this information it would seems that MB doesn't want to retrofit due the very high cost and the fact that a somple installation without proper level sensors would be illegal.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:25 PM

2003 E500
I have no idea what thier deal is. They changed the setting to xenon_present for me and didnt mention that you could manually adjust the level of the headlights. I dont know if they are being lazy or just dont know how to do it. Ill check it out.

Thanks..

Geoff
Old 03-18-2004, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There should be two dials on each assembly (assuming it has similar construction as the W203/209). You can use a screwdriver and adjust high/low and left/right.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:31 PM

2003 E500
Thanks alot. Ill check it out and see if my bodyshop has a headlight alignment fixture I can use.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:45 AM
MKW

08 GL450
The issue isn't about setting the static aim point of the light's height on a level surface - the OEM auto level feature constantly swivels the light up/down on rapid grade fluctuations so they don't dazzle oncoming drivers. Early HID systems didn't have this and the " dazzle" is what has led some lobbyists for senior groups ( whose old eyes are most sensitive to glare and it's temporary blinding effect like a flashbulb ) to try to get the DOT to ban HIDs in the US ! Anyone have a Lexus GS with HIDs approach them at dusk ? It also doesn't help the advancement of true HID s that ricers have those fake megawatt blue " HID-look " bulbs in their lowered and bouncy" rockets ".
So I can see why MBNA would discourage aftermarket swaps that don't install dynamic leveling because it gives them a bad rep.

Last edited by MKW; 03-19-2004 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:29 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by MKW
The issue isn't about setting the static aim point of the light's height on a level surface - the OEM auto level feature constantly swivels the light up/down on rapid grade fluctuations so they don't dazzle oncoming drivers. Early HID systems didn't have this
Ever since mercedes installed factory xenon headlights - cars were equiped with the headlight auto levelling feature...the auto levelling does not constantly swivle but only levels out the lights at startup and when there is a signifcant change in load of the car/trunk.
I added the auto levelling system on my R129 when I installed xenons - not worth the hassle, time and costs.

greetingz,
Old 03-19-2004, 11:09 AM
Almost a Member!

E500
My 2000 GS had HID and auto leveling. It was very noticable going up and down hills that it changed the projection angle.