E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Random no start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2016 | 09:49 AM

s500 & e340
Random no start

I have a 2006 E350 that randomly refuses to start. Battery is full, it cranks good and even sometimes starts for a second but won't get above 1000 rpm or run for more than a couple seconds. Left over night (or sometimes 2 days) and it'll start right up. Seems like a fuel problem but I pulled codes and got the following:
P2198-Oxygene sensor biased-stuck rich (present before the problem)
P0015-exhaust camshaft position timing over retarded ( new & of most concern)
P0456-Evaporative emission something or other (gas cap?)
I've not know totally bad fuel pumps to act this way. In my experience they either work or they don't. In addition, I've read that california emission models have a fuel pump/tank assembly and the entire tank must be replaced at a cost of around $2800. I dread this idea and hope someone can give me some hope that something else is a more common culprit or at least that I'm wrong about the California fuel tank. Is there hope for my car?
Old 11-20-2016 | 12:33 PM

2006 E350
replaced aux battery lately? you never know and it's 90 bucks as opposed to $$$$$$. worth a shot.
Old 11-20-2016 | 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Well there's some good news and bad news. I think your P0015 might just be the cam magnets.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...er-retard.html

Your car is a 2006 so it could also be the balance shaft problem if that doesn't fix it.

As for the gas tank, the good news is that MB covers the tank for 15 years unlimited miles so if it's the fuel pump, it's covered, but you do need to say the key words which is that you smell gas in the car, it can happen with a full tank. However I think your problem is probably the cam magnets. They'd charge you for a diagnostic if it's not the gas tank. If your car is Pzev, the tank is still covered under the 15 year/150k Pzev warranty.

As for your evap leak, check that the gas cap is on tight or try changing it, but if that doesn't do it, there's probably a leak somewhere else.
Old 11-20-2016 | 06:36 PM

s500 & e340
I've read about the dreaded balance shaft problem. Fortunatley, P0015 has only came up once and so far, hasn't reset. Can the Cam magnets cause this intermittent no start problem or would it be consistent.
Also, Ebenz123, can the aux battery cause a crank, no start? I read that it was for the power brake system so it might be logical that a probem would prevent the car from starting as a safety feature. I do have the red "see shop soon" indicator but it hasn't cause any no start problems up until now. I check the aux battery voltage and it reads 11.73 both with the car running and not. Shouldn't it read about 14 volts with alternator power or does it not recharge from the alternator?