E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How do I install front bracket/license plate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBenz
How do I install front bracket/license plate?

I live in SF Bayarea where it is required to install both plates. I check front bumper and there is no place to install front plates. How do I do this?

1. Do I need to drill the bumper?
2. I noticed that European Mercedes cars have better front bracket, what I have here is just cheap-looking black plastic. Anyone knows where to buy that?

I myself prefer not to install front plates as the car looks better w/o it.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:59 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
You should have gotten a plastic front plate bracket from your dealer, in a color to match your paint. Or, at least, we did, in "Desert Silver", from M-B of El Dorado Hills. Look in the spare tire well in the trunk, if you haven't already - it might be there.

The bracket installs in a sort of notch in the front bumper that centers the bracket for you, as I recall. It's held in place by four screws that go into the bumper (ouch!). For that reason, installing the bracket is pretty much of an unrevocable choice. You can use the license plate frame of your choice (black, chrome, whatever) with the bracket.

I agree that the car looks better without a front plate. Our E500 is my wife's daily driver, and she's enough of a straight arrow that she had the bracket installed by the dealer as soon as we got our plates from the DMV. They did it in about five minutes, she says.

If you don't mount a front plate, you could be lucky and never get a "fixit ticket", or you could get one tomorrow. Luck of the draw.
Check this thread for an extended discussion of of going without a front plate, where one is required:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=63925
Old 03-30-2004, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I think the front plate looks really nice. I just took my plates to my dealer when I received them (along with the plate holders I bought online from Mercedes) and they installed everything for me for free. The thing that the plate and plate holder attach onto (that they provide for free) matches the color of your paint and conforms to the shape of your bumper. Like I said, it looks really nice.