E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350, 1964 & 1967 Vette
What would you do?

took my benz into the dealership to diagnose a cylinder #1 misfire. i had already tested compression, spark plug, coil pack, fuel injector and told them that. after 2 days they came back and said my intake was bad. decided not to get it replaced for the crazy number they came back with. picked up my car the next day and there was a note on my bill about horns malfunctioned and they disconnected them (ok **** happens). Narrowed the horn problem down to the front sam as they were getting constant power. just for grins pulled my old sam apart and noticed something at one of the prongs to the horn relay!

Old 12-21-2016, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
i would go drive around honking my horn.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
What is your point/question?
Old 12-21-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 SL55 AMG | 2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Hmmmmm... they couldn't fix your problem, so they tampered with the relay to create a problem they could fix? i think you need to circle the "apparent tampering" in your picture... then go back to the dealer and very loudly and rudely in front of as many other customers make a scene : - ) I presume the horn went back to normal functioing once the piece of flotsam was removed?
Old 12-22-2016, 09:34 AM

i was thinking the same! the horn functions as normal now.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

highly doubt a tech would take the time of day to do something they aren't getting paid for. that would completely be a waste of time.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by cmriv
highly doubt a tech would take the time of day to do something they aren't getting paid for. that would completely be a waste of time.
Which activity are you referring to? Them not being paid to disconnect the horns, or to short the sam relay to the horns? How do you suppose that flotsam got into the sam?
Old 12-22-2016, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Honcho
Which activity are you referring to? Them not being paid to disconnect the horns, or to short the sam relay to the horns? How do you suppose that flotsam got into the sam?
A wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes.

OH YAY!!!! I'm a hourly tech in america! For fun i like to remove modules from cars and tamper with them! I also like to do repairs for free, like removing wheels and fender liners and disconnecting alarm sirens!!! And what might you think the tech gained from doing any of this???

and actually they offered to fix the problem he initially had, he declined repairs for other reasons. If i had a dollar for every car i've inspected/diagnosed and wham, magically another issue occurs that has nothing to do with what the customers original complaint was i'd be rich. It happens on a daily basis numerous times a day at any dealership of any make.

how that copper or metal was strategically placed where it is (it could be anywhere in reality, this guy could just be pulling a fast one trying to get a rise out of forum members) is beyond me, but I'm willing to bet you no salary technician is going to waste that much time making zero dollars when he or she could be making money on another car. That's just my two cents. Is it possible the tech did that, yes anything is possible. Is it also possible this gentleman who can test injectors, coils, compression test ect. placed it there and made this all up, possible too. At the end of the day he still has a misfire on cylinder 1 so this horn non-sense is just that.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:09 PM

OH YAY!!!! You presume some hourly tech did the deed? You sound awfully defensive!

You have a couple valid points, but you cannot say who did what, and the information provided puts a few things in question. The OP doesn't say where in the world he is... not that that has a major impact on the scruples of the repair shop he went to, but there are far more incidents of nasty repair shops than silly MB owners... I hope! ;-)
Old 12-22-2016, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
There's several threads about bad intakes, I think there's a part that breaks off and you can just buy an aftermarket repair part instead of buying the whole MB intake. But I'm guessing the OP already did that if he knows enough to test the coil pack and fuel injectors. All he has to do is search for intake.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Honcho
OH YAY!!!! You presume some hourly tech did the deed? You sound awfully defensive!

You have a couple valid points, but you cannot say who did what, and the information provided puts a few things in question. The OP doesn't say where in the world he is... not that that has a major impact on the scruples of the repair shop he went to, but there are far more incidents of nasty repair shops than silly MB owners... I hope! ;-)
Oh i'm with you on that. There are alot of grimey techs/mechanics out there. I'm not pointing a finger at either or but i will say if in fact a tech did do all of this they have way to much free time hahaha. Either way op, i hope you've found a resolution to your misfire. I'm sure you wont be going back to that dealership but good luck! Let us know if intake fixes issue!

defensive partially because a flat rate tech that would do that should be stoned haha and removed from the car world!
Old 12-23-2016, 06:30 PM

definitely did not do this to get a rise out of the forum! all i know is the horns worked when i took it in to get my misfire diagnosed and they were disconnected when i got it back. i had posted a few months back about the horns getting constant power when key was in position 2 as i was trying to diagnose. tried various deductive reasoning suggestions from members of this forum. consensus was bad sam. replaced sam with an ebay purchase and problem was resolved. having worked on cars for over 40 years i decided to investigate my old sam and that's when i discovered the "flotsam". re-installed my old sam less the "flotsam" and it functions perfectly. there was no way that perfect piece of wire just fell into place as it was wedged under the relay prong clamp.
want to thank everyone for their 2 cents on this matter....and i will never go back to this dealership.
I have since replaced the intake....biggest pain was all the wiring harnesses that needed to be disconnected. next up is spending $1000+ on a new abs/esp/bas control module....damn electronics!
Attached Thumbnails What would you do?-benzbill.jpg