E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Cool new Safety announcement from MBUSA....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Cool new Safety announcement from MBUSA....

Taken from the MBUSA site....

MONTVALE, NJ - Mercedes-Benz USA is pleased to announce a technological break through in the category of safety. KSS, the Kabinenschutzsystem, or in English, the cabin protection system, was first conceived by Swedish auto engineer Ingolf Lindau in an effort to further reduce injuries caused by auto accidents worldwide.

MBUSA is proud to offer this option on the first production implementation of this system on the mid-year 2005 E55 AMG model, known internally as Foamtronic. Using the vehicle's airbag sensors in addition to new ultrasonic interior sensors embedded in the trim, the KSS computer predicts the motion vectors of the vehicle occupants during the crash. Fifteen spray nozzles are located in the interior of the vehicle, each of which can be controlled individually by the KSS computer. In the event of a very severe crash, the KSS system will spray variable amounts of soft insulation foam throughout the vehicle. This foam, co-developed by Mercedes-Benz and chemical giant DuPont, is non-toxic and provides an energy-absorbing quality similar to that of polystyrene, without being as hard. This foam, code-named R-34-F, contains no harmful solvents and hardens from a liquid to an air-filled solid in the range of thirty to forty milliseconds. The product of fusion in R-34-F is mostly oxygen, to help the occupants of the vehicle breathe in the event of an auto accident. The 2.4 liter tank of foam is located under the trunk, and contains enough foam liquid to fill the complete cabin in the event of a serious accident such as a rollover. Mercedes-Benz also believes that the foam will aid crash investigation authorities in determining the conditions of a crash, because the R-34-F stays hardened until cut open, providing valuable information for crash scientists wishing to, for example, create plaster molds of the occupants at the time of the crash. The system will be optional on the E55 AMG starting in Fall 2004.

All Mercedes-Benz models come with a four-year/50,000-mile warranty, which includes tires, batteries and adjustments for the full coverage period, plus free required maintenance for that warranty period. In addition, the 24-hour Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance Program covers all Mercedes cars, regardless of model year. This peace of mind can include a free jump-start, a few gallons of fuel or mounting the spare tire, even for a decades-old Mercedes.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E400 4-Matic Coupe, 2002 Chev 2500 HD Crew, 1983 Porsche 911SC,
I get it......April Fools!!

Good one!!
Old 04-01-2004, 01:53 PM

haha... good one!
Old 04-01-2004, 02:19 PM

2013 GL550
Ah yes - Sly Stallone in Demolition Man. The cop car had foam that shot out when it got in a wreck.

Not a bad April Fool's joke!

Bruce
Old 04-01-2004, 05:29 PM

2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
i bought it from beginning to end.

as i was reading it, i was thinking "wow that is really cool"

Old 04-03-2004, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Damn

Damn Norb,

That was a great one. I too bought it hook, line, and sinker. I even called Mrs. EDJ into the office to read about it.