E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Device Unavailable - Not Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Mercedes E320 , 1982 Mercedes 300 SD, 2005 Suzuki Forenza
Question Device Unavailable - Not Sound

I had my 2009 Mercedes Benz E320 Bluetec battery removed for two weeks and now my audio is mute with the message: DEVICE UNAVAILABLE . It changes and play CDs but no sound is coming from speakers. Also when selecting radio AM/FM a message: "device unavailable" is shown on screen. I could't find any help on "troubleshooting" of the "Monitor Manual" for this car.
Many replies suggest to RE-CODE. I called Mercedes Benz in NJ today and they say that this car DOES NOT have code for radio.
My navigation system will show me all directions correctly but no voice coming from speakers. Today I called two Mercedes Dealers and using my VIN they could not find radio code o their system. One of them said to remove the radio because the code is on the back of the radio. The other said that the issue can be different and to bring the car to them to be taken care.
Couple of replies talk about the module under the rear seat but under my seat has not module at all.
It just have a aluminum box in the drive car into the trunk but there are not cables like some photographs in this forum. I mechanic told me that this box is the audio module. It is power getting there but not connectors as suggested in this forum. What else should I do?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 717 Likes on 698 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W211 forum...
Old 02-08-2017, 09:02 PM

Question Device Unavailable Working Again

After reading so many posts and getting confused in many of them today finally I have the problem resolved.
First my car does not have that box under the back seat. It has one in the trunk in the driver side and one fuse box on the trunk in the passenger side near of the battery.
None of then has that suggested connections to unplug and plug again.
After unplugging many of the possible connectors,nothing worked as suggested in many posts. I was going frustrated and almost quitting.
My last try was disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. When I did it I heard couple relays clicking as going off. For my happiness after this I reconnect the battery terminal again and my audio system worked again. I try radio, CDs, GPS, and whatever is part of the navigation system and all of them worked properly.
I am so thankful for all people that gave their suggestion because I know that they were wanting to help me. Many thanks for all posts.
There were people posting even photographs to make my life easy. Thanks
Old 02-24-2018, 03:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Was MB 2009 E350 AWD. Now 2016 MB E350 AWD
Thanks for the help in this topic. I was in a similar situation with my 2009 w211 e350.

The car wouldn’t start but had radio had sound .

Then the car started about 2 minutes later. However, it had an Fail Safe Inoperable error and no radio sound. (XM or FM/AM)

When I turned the car off and restarted it, that error went away but still no radio sound.

I then disconnected the negative battery terminal. After 30 seconds, I reconnected it. Radio sound was working again.

Like magic, I had radio sound again.

Last edited by jaisonline; 02-24-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Boy, I hate electronics
Old 02-24-2018, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by jaisonline
Thanks for the help in this topic. I was in a similar situation with my 2009 w211 e350.

The car wouldn’t start but had radio sound .

Then started about minutes later. However, it had an Fail Safe Inoperable error and no radio sound. (XM or FM/AM)

When I turned the car off and restarted it, that error went away but still no radio sound.

I then disconnected the negative battery terminal. After 30 seconds, I reconnected it.

Like magic, I had radio sound again.
Good to know that your car radio sound again.
At first I got scared with my past issue.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
I just had our car into the body shop to fix a dent on the hood. I get the car back and the radio/media device says unavailable. I will note when I went to start the car the battery was dead so they had to jump it. I took the car right back to them and said to please address this. I am hoping it's not anything serious. It could have been that the battery was too low still... I don't know. I will update once I get a call from them. I figure if they are charging $5k to do body work/fix a dent on the hood then they will fix this since our w211 is mint.

Idiot me never updated: Years later but better than never.
The dummies at the body shop never really connected the battery terminals tight so the radio kept going in and out saying device not found. Then after further troubleshooting found out that the battery was in fact dying. It was at least 10 years old. Once the battery was replaced with an OEM battery and properly connected everything worked as it should. I will note I have since disconnected the battery for things and or run through STAR for diagnosis and adding things and have no had issues since. So 3+ years now.

-Nigel

Last edited by NewShockerGuy; 09-27-2021 at 11:25 AM.