E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Satellite radio install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Satellite radio install?

Has anyone added/retro-fitted XM or Sirius sat radio to their car? I see in the Audio section of this forum that there is a kit out now for Sirius, but it involved mounting the antenna on top of your rear trunk lid. Very ugly! I can't believe that was the only way they came up with for the installation. No way I could bring myself to drill a hole in the trunk lid and mount an ugly black antenna on top of it.

Seeing the Sat radio with song title and artist on the Command screen sure does look cool, though. Here's an install a user there did on his car:

I don't want to do the FM modulator method, as that degrades the signal quality. Anyone here have it installed?

Last edited by kyee; 04-02-2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:23 PM

The picture you posted is the same one a guy from the Sirius fan site. It is down now but I corresponded with him and he said his 04 CLK just got this installation in Chicago. He claims that the antenna is not on the trunk but in the trunk. Saw that on another site too so I am optimistic that it is internal.

I have a temporary XM roady right now in my 04 E. Run the input through the Aux jack in the glove compartment. This would be the best option for sound quality if you do not want OEM. Right now, the antenna is laying up on my rear deck. Reception is fine.

But I definitely will move to OEM as soon as my dealer can get me a kit.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:35 PM

I think the thread mentions that only the CLK and maybe the CL can have the antenna mounted in the trunk, under the lid. The materials in that car's trunk is non-metallic, allowing the sat signal to pass thru. For E class owners, the antenna needs to be mounted to the outside/top of the trunk.

Can you at least paint that dang ugly antenna to blend in more with the car?
Old 04-02-2004, 03:36 PM

Sorry, I see all the posts now about the CLK trunk being different than the E's. I guess the internal installation on my E was too good to be true.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I believe the CLk and the new SL are the only ones without new antenna needed since they have alum. trunk lids. I may be wrong on this but this what I heard. Also, the paint has to be non-metallic. As for other benzes, I think they all require a antenna on the trunk lid. I have personally seen it and it's black and not too pretty either.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Someone posted a Star bulletin from MB about how to do the install on a C, and yes, the damn antenna is right smack in the middle of the trunk lid. Until they get a better method, I'm going to hold off on that install. Pricing for someone else on this thread I think mentioned it to be about $700, which included a full year of service.

On the SL, they can not easily mount it to the trunk lid, since the design of it is very unusual, as I saw in my friends SL tonight. I do wonder how they will do it on that car.

Also, another consideration that has caused me to wait is that I am a big Howard Stern fan, and "if" he does go to Sat, and he goes to XM, then I'm SOL with Sirius.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an XM Commander installed in the ash tray, and it runs through the FM modulator. I like it, but the FM modulator has some compromises yo have to live with. The receiver is on the trunk, but very small and black, so it's not that obvious.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by kyee
I think the thread mentions that only the CLK and maybe the CL can have the antenna mounted in the trunk, under the lid. The materials in that car's trunk is non-metallic, allowing the sat signal to pass thru. For E class owners, the antenna needs to be mounted to the outside/top of the trunk.
The CL's trunk is plastic to save weight.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:13 AM

2003 E500
I wonder if it would be possible for MB to install the antenna inside the car on the shelf under the rear window instead of on top of the trunk. That is where the antenna for my XM radio unit was put, and reception seems fine. If MB won't do it, perhaps you could have them do everything except for installing the antenna, and then get an after-market shop to do it.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK 320
Originally posted by BlueMonk
Sorry, I see all the posts now about the CLK trunk being different than the E's. I guess the internal installation on my E was too good to be true.
the CLK convertible has aluminum lid, the coupe does not...