E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

interior dome lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
interior dome lights

i been thinking to change all my interior lights from halogen to LED...maybe red? lol my friend put red in his bmw and looks...awesome!!

anyone changed the interior lights? any heads up? or anything....thanks.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
w211 03'
I took my dome module off and its a PITA to put it back on, be extremely careful not to break any cables or the headliner itself, below the rear view mirror the headliner is very thin, I think mine is broken but can't tell a difference.

Imho red would not look good on a benz, maybe a warm white.. (See link for reference of the led colors, specially the xenon white vs soft/warm white)

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Premium-SMD...mercedes-e.htm
Old 02-18-2017, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 247 Posts
2010 E63 AMG, 2003 E500
Another warning for the interior LED install - be careful when removing the center dome assembly with regards to the headliner. After doing mine the headliner now sags in both back corners - I guess I put too much tension on it in the center and it ended up pulling away from the backing at each side. If I had it to do over I would prop something against the headliner in each back corner while removing the center dome unit.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:11 PM

w211 03'
Originally Posted by Bahnstormer
Another warning for the interior LED install - be careful when removing the center dome assembly with regards to the headliner. After doing mine the headliner now sags in both back corners - I guess I put too much tension on it in the center and it ended up pulling away from the backing at each side. If I had it to do over I would prop something against the headliner in each back corner while removing the center dome unit.
Maybe your headliner glue is starting to loose itself and don't hold up as new.. Mine is all saggy (2003) and thus changing the fabric on he headliner now.
Don't know why but I see that mostly high end vehicles have saggy headliners.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:12 PM

w211 03'
Originally Posted by Bahnstormer
Can you press the fabric inside with a card or something alike?
Old 02-18-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
I used these metal 194 bulbs.

Here is my full led conversion for my W211
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-blinking.html

Old 02-20-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
the only thing is im afraid to open up the front dome light module thing since i read around that it is hard and have to be a lot careful not to mess it up.

I will be looking at videos and try to do it some day soon.

And Jeff, that does look very nice and i noticed you replaced all the lights to LED even down in the leg area. But for me, that is a little too bright tho. I sat in my friend's car which he had 6000k led, for me it was a little troubling to see outside the windows while they were on. I might go with soft white.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:07 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Roop94
the only thing is im afraid to open up the front dome light module thing since i read around that it is hard and have to be a lot careful not to mess it up.

I will be looking at videos and try to do it some day soon.

And Jeff, that does look very nice and i noticed you replaced all the lights to LED even down in the leg area. But for me, that is a little too bright tho. I sat in my friend's car which he had 6000k led, for me it was a little troubling to see outside the windows while they were on. I might go with soft white.
If you get the right leds for the foot-wells they will dim when you shut the door. Your right for the overhead, you really need two people because the unit has a spring setup witch is a pain to set back up.
In all its bright however when driving at night since the bottoms do dim I don't have a problem at all.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:58 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

This is what I bought from the seller many months back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-W21...kAAOSwdzVXnMeu

Everything works as it should. Pure white light.

My only little gripe and this is going to be for most LEDS in the footwell, is that they are going to dim when you shut the door but they will still be on. Note that the normal incandescent bulbs do this, but since they dim so much you can hardly tell they are on at night, where as the LEDS are more pronounced. I actually had to turn the led bulbs somewhat because after a while I found that they were a little too bight in the footwells. IE: If you like pure blackness in the footwell lighting, keep normal incandescent bulbs since they are so dim. If you like some light then LEDS will be ok. They look awesome when you open the door at night and they are bright.

Overhead console isn't hard but the biggest thing I found to be a PITA is the freaking mirror and reattaching it. Note that removing it is simple. What a nightmare putting it back in... The MB engineers didn't think it through because you can't get a tool in to depress the spring pin for the rear view mirror, otherwise what would be a normal 30 second thing to reattach the mirror turned into something like 20 minutes of me thinking I was going to snap the rear view mirror in half when reattaching it. Removing the rear console also isn't hard, and takes about 30 seconds to do. You grab a corner then pull straight down.

The door puddle lights look the best since they are nice and bright so when you open the door it's very inviting and bright pure white light. Looks a lot higher end than the stock yellow bulbs.

Everything inside is an LED in the car now, including the glove box, trunk lights..etc.

There's a thread on benzworld with pictures and some write-ups. It should help you if you go that route.

-Nigel
Old 02-21-2017, 11:10 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Yeah exactly the same bulbs I use the 2835 are my favorite interior leds I have found so far. Same thing to the spring for the overhead mirror is the biggest pain to re-install.