E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Driver Side Snorkel Tube....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SL65
Driver Side Snorkel Tube....

After reading the E55 section regarding the driver side's snorkel tube being restrictive and replacing them with the S Class, I decided to see if there was a difference. With a S500 in the stable, here is what I've found:

E500:

S500:

Now I see what they were saying. Looks like I'll be picking up a S Class snorkel tube for the E this week. Power gains are probably minimal but with the part less than $10....easy decsision.

Thought I'd share in case someone is interested.

Last edited by LIONHEAD; 04-04-2004 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
I've been known to be wrong before, but it appears to me that the S-tube won't fit.. looks crimped for a reason, unfortunately.. But let us know the results!
Old 04-06-2004, 09:57 AM

'06 SL65
Originally posted by Brav
I've been known to be wrong before, but it appears to me that the S-tube won't fit.. looks crimped for a reason, unfortunately.. But let us know the results!

We'll do.....my dealer didn't have it in stock and the Chicago Warehouse was out of them also so they had to order from Cali and will take a couple of days.

Here is a link if you to show the difference between the two:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=restriction
Old 04-06-2004, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
You could try using the passenger side intake on your car and see if it fits. It worked on mine.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:33 AM

'06 SL65
I can just take the one off the S and just test fit in the E......just too lazy.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Instead of taking the intake off your S, you won't have to spend too much energy and go too far if you try the one on your E.

Don't forget to let us know when the grille is ready.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:55 AM

13 SL63
i also read about the snorkel tube and i recently purchased and installed it. $9 and 45seconds later i had it in. there is definately a visual difference. the stock e class tube is not a straight through design and goes from large to small to large opening while the the so called s500 tube is large all the way through like the passenger side tube already is. the e class tube is odd shaped because there is a power steering resovoir in the way but the s500 tube just rests against it opposed to being 1/8 inch away from it. the s500 tube makes it difficult to check/add power steering fluid but why would you need to check the fluid in a relatively new car anyway and if you did it would take you 45 seconds to take the tube out and reinstall it. no big deal. i cant really feel any seat of the pants difference but i went to the track last week before the install of the tube and im in hopes to go back soon to see if there is any measurable difference. btw the dealer sold/sent me two tubes when i only needed one, if anyone in the bay area wants to pick up the extra tube for free then email me, its not worth it to ship to anyone considering it only cost $9
Old 04-07-2004, 02:07 AM

13 SL63
i also read about the snorkel tube and i recently purchased and installed it. $9 and 45seconds later i had it in. there is definately a visual difference. the stock e class tube is not a straight through design and goes from large to small to large opening while the the so called s500 tube is large all the way through like the passenger side tube already is. the e class tube is odd shaped because there is a power steering resovoir in the way but the s500 tube just rests against it opposed to being 1/8 inch away from it. the s500 tube makes it difficult to check/add power steering fluid but why would you need to check the fluid in a relatively new car anyway and if you did it would take you 45 seconds to take the tube out and reinstall it. no big deal. i cant really feel any seat of the pants difference but i went to the track last week before the install of the tube and im in hopes to go back soon to see if there is any measurable difference. btw the dealer sold/sent me two tubes when i only needed one, if anyone in the bay area wants to pick up the extra tube for free then email me, its not worth it to ship to anyone considering it only cost $9
Old 04-07-2004, 09:25 AM

'06 SL65
Originally posted by amgrocket
Thanks for your insight! I'm sure you probably won't see any difference in the low end but upper end with the ram air effect, you might see .1 or .2 difference in the 1/4 mile. Every tenths helps! This mod reminds me of the Viper guys putting on smooth tubes or the C5 guys swapping to high flow Air Duct with power Coupler.

Last edited by LIONHEAD; 04-07-2004 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:17 PM

'06 SL65
Just installed the new snorkel tube....it does hit the power steering reservoir (like amgrocket said) but held in place well enough that it will not fall off. Easy install a monkey can do it.

Last edited by LIONHEAD; 04-07-2004 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Make sure you adjust your flux capacitor, headlight speed sensor and lube your muffler bearings...
Old 04-07-2004, 01:33 PM

'06 SL65
Originally posted by Brav
Make sure you adjust your flux capacitor, headlight speed sensor and lube your muffler bearings...
Where's my daum monkey.