Satellite Radio Installed '04 E Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Satellite Radio Installed '04 E Class

The M-B dealer kit's satellite antenna is trunk mounted towards the rear window side of the lid. It is slightly larger than a flat topped black computer mouse. Not ugly at all! Took 4 minutes to activate by cell phone. Sound is awesome. They upgraded the radio software at the same time to get rid of a couple of infrequent gremlins I had. Not cheap to do, but included 14 months of service.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
Do you have any pics? I'm curious to see how it looks. I think it's a pretty big antenna.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BMW 550i
Having something the size of a computer mouse on my trunk would be pretty intrusive, IMHO.

I thought that the diversity antenna on top of the car, or whatever they call it, was supposed to be a super combo antenna that included the sat radio, GPS, and radio stuff all in one. Or will that be in 2005?
Old 04-07-2004, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Antenna

Took pics with my disposable camera because it was handy, now I have to shoot a couple more pics at work & develop. I will post. The antenna IS SMALLER than a Microsoft Basic Mouse by about 1.5 inches in length. It has very lightly rounded edges. (Doesn't have to fit comfortably in a palm) It is flat black in color & not even as tall (thick) as a mouse. It has an exact shape thin rubber gasket under it to keep the trunk dry. It is NOT ugly like the current GM XM antennas AT ALL.. and far less noticeable than GM's OnStar antenna or BMW's shark fin antenna. The only reason you will notice it is because it is new technology. No one notices a car's AM/FM antenna anymore because every car has one. Right now, only a very few cars have Satellite. Believe me you will not mind the look at all, and I am a pain in the @ss about keeping a car in MINT condition.
The amount of music & comedy is so vast, that you will not want to leave the car when you get to where you were going. I see no reason anymore to have the single slot CD and the stacker in the car too... other than its cool to have everything & watch the door open & close. This was an expensive toy at $1250. for parts labor & 1 years prepaid subscription, but then again, you could say that about the whole car....& now I will save money not buying CDs as often.

There are no visible wires inside or outside anywhere. I have no idea where the additional receiver was mounted in the car. The whole thing looks like it was done at the time of vehicle assembly. Its an awesome option. I can't believe car manufacturers have not come up with factory retrofit kits since the car manufacturers are part owners of the two satellite radio companies. If u have the loose change you won't regret it.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the sound quality of Sirius compare to a CD? I have XM Radio at home, and it doesn't sound quite as good as a CD. I heard that Sirius uses higher compression than XM, and as a result it doesn't sound as good. Any feedback on this issue? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Sound Quality

Never heard XM but in a moving car, the Sirius is fine. definitely better than FM, & at 54, I don't hear any difference between CD & Sirius while driving. ... and compared to a CD, I don't know what song is going to be next!