E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Facelifted center console sliding center part: Question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 10:52 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow Facelifted center console sliding center part: Question?

On our 09' the center console has the center piece that slides back to reveal the cup holders and little storage area.
Tonight as I slid it back it felt different. Not broken or anything like that. But normally when I first slide it back it almost seems like it would have a detent/stopping point at just behind the first front most cup holder. Then you'd have to give it a slightly harder push and then you could slide the entire thing back completely.

Mind you there wasn't much force to do the above. Then when I slid it back tonight while driving there was no stopping point at the first cup holder, I could simply just slide it all the way back with no resistance.
Can anyone confirm what is the proper function? Should one be able to slide it all the way back or is there really a slight stopping point right after the first cup holder?

I'd rather not have to start taking things apart if there is supposed/not supposed to be a function of it. If however there is then I am going to take the center console apart and start looking to see why it suddenly stopped with the first indentation.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 03-14-2017, 02:05 AM

Arrow

Seriously?

No one with a 07-09' can go to their car and slide their center console door open to see if it stops right after the first cup holder or it slides all the way back with zero resistance?
Old 03-14-2017, 06:10 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2007 E350 Sedan
On my 2007, there is no resistance at the first cup slot. I can stop it there if I want, but that seems to be just on friction, nothing else.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
I keep mine open because it gets stuck
Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Arrow Update

Welp took apart the center console. Found out why it just slides back.

I have attached several pictures. Pretty much what I thought. The center console sliding part has detents that press against the wood trim. Technically the piece should stop at three points. Mine was only stopping after the first cup holder, but then stopped. After taking it apart MOST of the detents which are just plastic are broken off and gone.

See picture of circled area of where they should be located. There is one on each side where it should stop, totaling 5 per side, 10 total.

At this point I guess I could use some epoxy and just make some type of plastic and attempt to put it where the detents were, but it most likely won't work.

All the ones I found on eBay were pretty much half way or all broken off as well. Seems like a stupid thing MB did instead of using something that wouldn't snap off after some time.

That's all I got. Hopefully this helps someone but since the only way to truly fix it would be replacing the entire lower portion of the console it's probably not cost efficient. I just can't standing knowing something should be one way but it's broken and doesn't do it... drives me nuts.

-Nigel
Attached Thumbnails Facelifted center console sliding center part:  Question?-1.jpg   Facelifted center console sliding center part:  Question?-2.jpg   Facelifted center console sliding center part:  Question?-3.jpg   Facelifted center console sliding center part:  Question?-4.jpg   Facelifted center console sliding center part:  Question?-5.jpg