9" Aftermarket Radio for the W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'07 E350 4matic Sedan
9" Aftermarket Radio for the W211

Hey guys,

Have been thinking of replacing the OEM COMMAND system on my car with something more modern. I have seen other options discussed here and I am not really a fan of them.

However while browsing Ali Express, I came across this one - which is unique as it doesn't try to emulate the OEM unit, but rather goes all out on screen size. I have a black interior and I think it will fit my car nicely.

I haven't seen this particular unit discussed here, but was curious what you guys think? I am on the fence whether I want to put a clearly sub par quality unit in such a nice car. On the other hand, the OEM unit while being great at the time of production is clearly getting very old and pixelated looking anyway.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9-in...377bc842&tpp=1

Old 03-15-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
Looks pretty nice, but it's up to you if you want to spend that kind of money and the time to rewire your car for a unit that has less than mainstream service support. From what I've heard from the audiophile big fish is that these Chinese units are very low quality and the stated output specs are usually over-exaggerated (search posts from jbondox).

For one, I wonder how long that unit takes to boot up. Also, I don't know how frequently they update maps or if it just runs off Google maps.

I tried a Kenwood network/multimedia unit once and for me, it was just too cumbersome to use while driving (too many submenus, soft-button presses, etc). Another thing was having my phone connected via MHL cable for network features, but having to disconnect and change settings on the HU to Bluetooth for hands-free phone operation - couldn't have both at the same time.

I went back to my old Kenwood DNX9990HD which requires no modification to the vehicle wiring (needs a NAV-TV/Opti-1 interface and very minimal wiring work).

Bottom line - who knows? Might turn out to be a great unit but someone has to be the first to try it. If you decide to go for it, let us know how it goes.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Relying on a screen for all buttons is perilous in my opinion. Physical buttons in a car are easier and safer to operate because of tactile feedback and not needing to look away from the road to fiddle through a screen UI. I'd prefer the units that mix physical buttons and a screen. Also, lack of a volume knob is a deal killer for me. Having said that, I would try this option and see if the increased screen real estate made a difference. My hunch is that the extra screen doesn't provide anything of substance over the other units and lack of physical buttons outweigh.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 CLS55
Those floor mats .......

also, does it support millions of apps or just thousands of apps?

Last edited by FunkTron; 03-16-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:24 PM
AEF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E220 Avantgarde
I just installed the one from Xtrons with Android 5.1, so far so good. If something goes wrong, I'll let you know.

What's good is that you can also custom rom these units.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'07 E350 4matic Sedan
Originally Posted by FunkTron
Those floor mats .......

also, does it support millions of apps or just thousands of apps?
LOL I saw the floormats and had the same reaction Would keep your floor really clean though

Also I am pretty sure it will be a Billion apps by the next time I check the website.