E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Cool bluetooth streaming device that works.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow Cool bluetooth streaming device that works.

We have the ipod/aux media cable in the glove box but I was tired of having to either unplug stuff or have a wire. Why MB put it in the glove compartment seems silly to me.

I read a lot of reviews and there were two items for blue tooth streaming. A Bovee and Coolstream. The Bovee is more expensive than the Coolstream and the reviews are either great or bad. Seems like a happy medium isn't there.

I decided to buy the Coolstream. Installation is super simple. Plug adaptor into ipod connector. Pair your phone, and you can now stream audio to the car.

I thought it might conflict with the Bluetooth for the phone calls but it doesn't at all. It's connected to the car for calls and is connected to the coolstream adaptor for music audio. When a call comes in it pauses the music and then you can talk or hear someone over the car speakers.

Amazon Amazon

That's the exact one I bought.

Figured this might help someone that might be looking for something. The steering wheel controls work as far as changing the tracks/advancing forward on Pandora. And for Spotify it will go back and forth to different songs depending on what is in your playlist. It does not show the name of the artist or song in the center screen cluster but that is to be expected.

-Nigel
The following 2 users liked this post by NewShockerGuy:
arto_wa (09-01-2018), kjb55 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 e300
Hey I'm looking for a aux plug for me 2009 e300 can u help me out
Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 AM

Arrow

Update.

So if you have an iphone it displays the song/title/name in the cluster via spotify. Where as with my Android it doesn't. I thought that was cool since my wife had her phone in the car we gave it a try. Steering wheel buttons work to control the music as well. I've been using Android for 10 years now and as much as I love it, it seems like iPhones just work with freaking everything, zero problems...Makes me half tempted to switch to an iphone just knowing that pretty much whatever I use/go it will just work with whatever systems are already out there via cars, or other devices...

James are you looking for the attached plug (see below)?

-Nigel
Attached Thumbnails Cool bluetooth streaming device that works.-mercedes-plug.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 e550 4Matic
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
Update.

So if you have an iphone it displays the song/title/name in the cluster via spotify. Where as with my Android it doesn't. I thought that was cool since my wife had her phone in the car we gave it a try. Steering wheel buttons work to control the music as well. I've been using Android for 10 years now and as much as I love it, it seems like iPhones just work with freaking everything, zero problems...Makes me half tempted to switch to an iphone just knowing that pretty much whatever I use/go it will just work with whatever systems are already out there via cars, or other devices...

James are you looking for the attached plug (see below)?

-Nigel
No true android guy would ever speak such words
The following users liked this post:
Izrud (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by rodneypierce
No true android guy would ever speak such words

LOL... believe me, I've been with Android for a long time.. rooting everything I own and changing roms or updates...etc. It's fun and I love that you can tailor the phone/device to your needs. But I can't tell you how frustrating it is when one gets into a car or goes somewhere and I'm struggling to get connected to something where the person with the iphone just works 100% of the time.

I think the song title/name displayed in the cluster is neat and looks OEM. It's obviously not a turning point for me to switch but it's just little things like that which add up all the time. Seems like in general the world is more geared towards iPhones and making sure they are supported compared to android, which is annoying. It blows my mind how instead of using ****ty UI's in car stereo's manufactures don't partner with Google and have their systems using Android. I think that would be a huge turning point, and rather than trying to invent something that is already there and works great, they have horrible UI's that are slow and un-responsive.

-Nigel
Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 e550 4Matic
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
LOL... believe me, I've been with Android for a long time.. rooting everything I own and changing roms or updates...etc. It's fun and I love that you can tailor the phone/device to your needs. But I can't tell you how frustrating it is when one gets into a car or goes somewhere and I'm struggling to get connected to something where the person with the iphone just works 100% of the time.

I think the song title/name displayed in the cluster is neat and looks OEM. It's obviously not a turning point for me to switch but it's just little things like that which add up all the time. Seems like in general the world is more geared towards iPhones and making sure they are supported compared to android, which is annoying. It blows my mind how instead of using ****ty UI's in car stereo's manufactures don't partner with Google and have their systems using Android. I think that would be a huge turning point, and rather than trying to invent something that is already there and works great, they have horrible UI's that are slow and un-responsive.

-Nigel
I hear you. I was just giving you a hard time. Android bluetooth is a bit on the lack luster side at times, that is for sure.

But, Ill take the rest over iPhone all day
Old 02-21-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55
Hi there,
I have a 2006 E55 with the ipod glove box hookup. Music plays if I set audio to AUX and have the ipod plugged in but I have no control over the music and cannot change songs. there is no display of song title on the radio screen.
Question - how do I control the ipod?
thanks
Old 02-21-2018, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by AndySoCal
Hi there,
I have a 2006 E55 with the ipod glove box hookup. Music plays if I set audio to AUX and have the ipod plugged in but I have no control over the music and cannot change songs. there is no display of song title on the radio screen.
Question - how do I control the ipod?
thanks
You have to pull the stereo out and hook up the Ipod cable. You can either have the AUX or Ipod hooked up to the stereo, but not both at the same time.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55
Thanks, figured it out mostly last night. Ipod is hooked to aux in glove box. I was trying to use the radio buttons in center console when I needed to go to the steering wheel to control. I just choose aux and set the ipod to shuffle and with 15,000 songs I'll just keep the music going.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E 550
This is very helpful.. I am trying to decide between the BoVee and Coolstream myself... Does anyone on here have the BoVee, I'd like to know how its working with the Benz.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
2008 E320 BlueTec, 1980 300 SD
Originally Posted by Carlos916
This is very helpful.. I am trying to decide between the BoVee and Coolstream myself... Does anyone on here have the BoVee, I'd like to know how its working with the Benz.

Can't help with BoVee, but I've had the CarPro CoolStream for well over a year now and it works great.

It was pretty easy to find used one for under $55 on the eBay.

It has not affected the iPhone Bluetooth phone calls at all, just like the thread starter NewShockerGuy said in post #1.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Manual etc.pdf (274.3 KB, 688 views)