E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help with SOS Tele Aid Malfunctino

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 Wagon
Help with SOS Tele Aid Malfunctino

I have a 2004 E500 wagon and the SOS Tele Aid Malfunction just popped up. Does anyone know how to get rid of this message without having to pay a dealer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Find any indy with excellent diagnostic equipment\experience who can interrogate the system and locate the fault.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
See if this works:
If you don't have SOS, then the SOS message comes on when the computer thinks there's a problem with it related to battery voltage. If you turn on the headlights for two minutes with the engine off it puts a drain on the battery. Later when you start the car, it notices that the voltage doesn’t match the memory value and resets the battery voltage reading in the computer. With the value reset, as the car charges up it decides it has enough voltage and turns off the SOS.

1. turn key to run but don't start
2. burn headlights for two minutes
3. turn key off

It might show the message the next time but that SHOULD BE the end of it... until next time.

If not, here are other possibilities:

I have had SOS error messages daily and the other day my GPS went out completely. Searching repair leads on this forum, I searched out the GPS antenna connector to the splitter behind the left hand trunk liner. Just like the forum comment, I found the antenna connection into the splitter corroded. The connections out split to the GPS and the radio are gold and perfect. The splitter is a matchbox sized thing mounted on the inner fender that must have a drop of salt water on its input connection at the factory.

The upper connector was corroded so bad it was hard to pull apart. Unclip the lower connectors and pull them out to see how it is supposed to come apart. Then unclip the plastic on the input on top and unclip it. I pushed it together and apart a few times and sprayed with Radio Shack "connector cleaner". It is like the old freon spray that used to be available and dries so fast it gets really cold. It has a long thin red hose like WD-40 that allows shooting it into tight spaces.

I think some bulb grease (non conducting water proof stuff from an auto parts store) in the connector might be a good way to stop future corrosion but I didn't use it when I was doing the job.

Dealer, independent, or anyone with SDS will need to:

Model 203, 209, 210
Control Units - Information and communication - ICM – Instrument cluster with maintenance interval display - Troubleshooting by means of complaints or symptoms - Messages from the emergency call system are displayed in the instrument cluster

Model 211
Control Units - Body - CGW (Central Gateway) - Control Unit Adaptations - Read Coding and Change if Necessary - Telecommunications - Telematics Service “Tele Aid” in combination with MOST technology.

Model 220
Control Units - Information and communication - ICM – Instrument cluster with maintenance interval display - Control unit adaptations - Variant Coding - Special Equipment - TELE AID or E-Call

Change the coding from PRESENT to NOT PRESENT

Mike T.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 CLK55 AMG Cab, '16 E350 4Matic Wagon
I used to have this fault on my wagon. It was REALLY annoying - popping up and going away. If you dig into the left hand side of the trunk area, there is a coaxial connector that tends to get corroded and cause the fault due to extra resistance. Do some searches and you will find some threads about it. Most of them focus on sedans, but if you can find pics of the coax connector you will find it in your wagon as well. I disconnected it, cleaned it up and reinstalled it and haven't had an issue in 5k+ miles.