E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rock hit windshield...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock hit windshield...

I was driving to work this morning and a rock hit the windshield...it left a chip right in front of the driver side. Not terrible, but still noticeable. It didn't spider, but was wondering what options I have?

- Can I drill it and fill it.
- Leave it alone.
- Get new windshield. (I called Ray Catena and they quoted me about $550 for the windshield and about $200 on labor.)

What are your thoughts?

Marc
Old 04-13-2004, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I am sure that your insurance will cover it. Most insurance companies waive the deductable if you have it fixed by a glass chip repair company rather that replacement of the whole glass.

I guess I would take a look at how well it would repair and if it would be acceptable if just repaired. A good professional shop can make it disappear in most cases.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:47 AM

04 E500 4MATIC WAGON
There is a glass place on the west side of manhattan that MB NYC uses for there glass & tinting work, had a S420 windshield replaced for $460 installed last year. Liberty Glass Co Inc - 552 W 48th St
New York, NY 10036
(212) 265-3052
They did a great job on the car!
Good luck
They also do small repairs if it is possible.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Sorry to hear about your incident, but you are not alone

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=39999

Take care,
John
Old 04-13-2004, 12:08 PM

if its on the driver side, you cant repair it...

regards,

mike
Old 04-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to see if it can be fixed, if not I'll wait and see what happens when I go for my service on
Monday. I don't want to go through insurance, because I just signed up with them on Saturday. So I'm afraid to put the claim in...plus NY insurance is so high to begin with.

Marc
Old 04-13-2004, 03:36 PM

Mercedes-Benz E-Klasse W211
you should drill it and fill it

My cousin had the same problem but the had hit in the centre of
the shied

he had the crack filled and now no one could ever tell it was hit by rock he himself isnt sure where it hit nowadays
Old 04-13-2004, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Windshield Repair

I had been told by a glass repair shop that the longer you wait to have it repaired, the more visible the repair is due to road/atmospheric "dirt" getting into the damaged area. A windshield repair is not expensive (when compared to a replacement) so why not try the repair immediately & if you hate it, replace the glass at that time? See what you can tolerate.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by madde500
Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to see if it can be fixed, if not I'll wait and see what happens when I go for my service on
Monday. I don't want to go through insurance, because I just signed up with them on Saturday. So I'm afraid to put the claim in...plus NY insurance is so high to begin with.

Marc
Under your comprehensive portion of your insurance, most insurance companies cover your windshield, no deductable and no points added on, so in the end your rates do not go up. You pay for your comprehensive when you pay your monthly premium...so really, your putting money in, may as well use it to get a replacememnt.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:08 PM

Not sure what you mean...I had to replace my E's windshield last year because of this problem, and my insurance company refused to do it at the dealer. On top of that, they insisted on my $250 deductible. I basically ended up paying for ALL of it out of pocket.

And I have the 'deluxe--no holes barred' insurance policy.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by monakh
Not sure what you mean...I had to replace my E's windshield last year because of this problem, and my insurance company refused to do it at the dealer. On top of that, they insisted on my $250 deductible. I basically ended up paying for ALL of it out of pocket.

And I have the 'deluxe--no holes barred' insurance policy.
Yes, that is one thing, most insurance companies won't pay for it to be done at the dealership. Most will have you go to a reputable windshield repair shop (some of the national chains are pretty good, i've used J&N Phillips) I don't know what they use, but I hear it's OEM approved.

I didn't have to pay a cent...from my insurance bill, it shows my comprehensive that I pay $134 into it every month. Check out your bill and look for comprehensive and what your premium on it is monthly.

It's like your putting that money into a "fund" and use it for windshield and glass around your car incase something does happen. Your betting that something does happen while your insurance company bets nothing will happen. But in MA its a law to have comprehensive for glass coverage I believe.

I've had my windshield on my w202 replaced twice already from rocks on the highway and I just sign the bill and they send it to my insurance company...the bill is usually abour $500.