E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Need help first time Benz

Old 05-08-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
Need help first time Benz

Hello everyone my name is David I purchased my first Benz but I might have made a poor choice or I was taken for a ride by previous owner ok so here it goes 2006 E350 black on black mint condition except for tiny dent maybe from a car door ,anyways been driving for 3 days and check engine light came on P015 bank 1 car still drives I searched my serial and I might have the bad batch of this thin called the cam failure thing not sure of the name but I heard its around 4 thousand dollars for repair ,here's where it gets interesting this car has 170000 miles yes 170thosands and runs like a champ I read they fail at around 80000 miles give or take I'm researching the vin to see if this motor job has been done already this 4000 thousand dollar motor job to no luck so far in obtaining this info ? So the question is if it was done should I worry? If it wasn't why so many miles and keeps ticking ? Or am I paranoid and just install all 4 sensors and all 4 magnets that I read about with this P015 code ? Thanks in advance for your help ,I really need it
Old 05-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 711 Likes on 692 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W211 forum...
Old 05-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Without checking the VIN you are paranoid!----when you know and it's bad, then think about exporting the car to Iran!! They need ticking cars!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:04 PM

2006 E350
Comedian good one , need help not jokes will changing out both sensors and both magnets on bank 1 help ? Thanks and when I said ticking I was trying to say that the motor is still strong and no noise quiet engine and good pull ? Thanks

Last edited by Djlnyc179; 05-09-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
Hi David, to answer your question about the Code P0015, that would be the cam position sensor, which has to do the timing solenoid of the cam shaft to advance or retard the timing based on the engine speed rpm to optimize fuel/air. So you have one at each bank, of the engine. they are mounted on front of the engine. right where the camshaft end meet. So code P0015 is bank one, which is on the passenger side of the engine bank which the cylinder firing order is 1-3-5 on passenger side. Check the harness see if any looseness, if not then likely the cam sensor probably intermittedly not working. Hopefully this help answer your question. Lastly it relatively easy to replace if you are mechanically inclined to work cars.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Hopefully all else is strong at 170k
Old 05-09-2017, 09:26 PM

2006 E350
Thank you in advance I ordered 2 cam sensors and 2 magnet sensors I figured I change all 4 on the passenger side since I have a generic code reader that doesn't tell me exactly which one it is it should be here this Friday 5/11 would you think that it will be safe to drive without further damage ,I've been resetting it and driving the car like this with no issues a little hesitation at times only to work with 12 miles round trip code will pop up maybe the next day also I'm a capable of changing myself dose the battery need to be disconnected when changing out parts and with so many miles on her if indeed this model was the one with the bad balance shaft issue shouldn't it have failed a long time ago with so many miles on her ? I checked her records at dealer and It was never in for that or perhaps maybe done elsewhere ? Thank you so much for your much needed help
Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 PM

2006 E350
Originally Posted by Kushp14
Hopefully all else is strong at 170k
This black beauty is a beast I can't believe it I came from a Gs300 that I've been beating for the last 7 years and with time will try and refurbish her and hand her down to daughter what else would I look for at 170 not to sure on records few at dealer that's about it don't know what was done elsewhere I can't believe what power this car has ? Thanks
Old 05-14-2017, 09:34 PM

2006 E350
Originally Posted by BenzVince
Hi David, to answer your question about the Code P0015, that would be the cam position sensor, which has to do the timing solenoid of the cam shaft to advance or retard the timing based on the engine speed rpm to optimize fuel/air. So you have one at each bank, of the engine. they are mounted on front of the engine. right where the camshaft end meet. So code P0015 is bank one, which is on the passenger side of the engine bank which the cylinder firing order is 1-3-5 on passenger side. Check the harness see if any looseness, if not then likely the cam sensor probably intermittedly not working. Hopefully this help answer your question. Lastly it relatively easy to replace if you are mechanically inclined to work cars.

hello I changed both cam sensors and both magnet sensors on bank 1 like you said passenger side and the check engine light went off on its own ,but reappeared today Sunday, so I'm not sure what went wrong same code p015 I'm not sure if I was suppose to disconnect the negative for ecu relearn but upon Inspection i noticed that bank 2 Drivers side cams where very oily so I removed both magnets and they had burnt oil stains on both I replaced both magnets with new ones and noticed that one to the far right on bank 2 did not move like the rest the center of magnet has some sort of pin in center and it was seized it did not move in and out like the rest not even pushing it in with a screwdriver it was just stuck and all move freely when you rotate the magnets the new one and the other 3 except 1 which is bank 2 Drivers side could it be I changed wrong side with the P015 code ,
B camshaft position timing over retarded Bank 1 ? I have changed all 4 magnets and 2 cam sensors on Bank 1 should I order 2 more cam sensors for Bank 2 being that the where covered in oil in connectors? Thanks I have done this now with negative battery terminal disconnected ,and will see if light comes back ? Thank any input will be appreciated That pin in center dose not move at all ,the new ones move freely?
Old 05-14-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
w211 03'
With what are you reading the codes?
Best to read it with a das/xentry, it'll have more specific info on the faults, most of the times it will tell you hte exact issue.

Also, can you please check since yours is a 06 and it'a a 350, do you have the sbc brake system?
Old 05-15-2017, 04:59 AM

2006 E350
Originally Posted by cMazara
With what are you reading the codes?
Best to read it with a das/xentry, it'll have more specific info on the faults, most of the times it will tell you hte exact issue.

Also, can you please check since yours is a 06 and it'a a 350, do you have the sbc brake system?

Thanks for the reply I have generic scan tool ,how do find out if I have SBC brake system will try to acces a much better scan machine
Old 05-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,412 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
P0015 (MB 0060) continuous camshaft adjustment (right), incorrect position of the exhaust camshaft - y49/7 in attachment. Definitive diagnose, pull codes with MB DAS (diagnostic system).

Check timing marks behind camshaft sensors if not centered (see attached image) this may indicate defective balance shaft. Need VIN to confirm if engine # is within affected range.

Associated concern: have dealer pull VMI to confirm if attached service campaign addressing harness applies to your VIN and if repair work was performed. If applicable and not completed, repair is free.

Attached image shoes SBC unit located right front engine compartment.
Attached Thumbnails Need help first time Benz-capture.jpg   Need help first time Benz-sbc.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2012070002.pdf (903.6 KB, 82 views)
Old 05-15-2017, 06:27 PM

2006 E350
Originally Posted by konigstiger
P0015 (MB 0060) continuous camshaft adjustment (right), incorrect position of the exhaust camshaft - y49/7 in attachment. Definitive diagnose, pull codes with MB DAS (diagnostic system).

Check timing marks behind camshaft sensors if not centered (see attached image) this may indicate defective balance shaft. Need VIN to confirm if engine # is within affected range.

Associated concern: have dealer pull VMI to confirm if attached service campaign addressing harness applies to your VIN and if repair work was performed. If applicable and not completed, repair is free.

Attached image shoes SBC unit located right front engine compartment.

That's a lot of information ,I do have that SBC brake system its on passenger side I will check for center of camshaft when the car cools off since i just arrived home and no check engine light on so far fingers crossed, i called Mercedes this morning they said they had a recall on the vin # i provided for a gas tank leak and it funny that i just filled up 2 days ago and i was smelling fuel it went away as gas went down it never filled to the number 1 indicator on fuel level not sure what was that about ? But i will be taking it to dealer tomorrow i have scheduled a appointment to check on this recall ,and also does it matter which cam sensor i take out to check for center does it have to be both sides bank 1 &2 or just 1 bank and both sensors? Thanks for the great information
Old 05-15-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2007 E350 Sedan
See the video at the attached link.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...tor-video.html

Disclaimer-I have never done this. Pretty straight-forward, though.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:00 PM

2006 E350
Originally Posted by jimbo1763
See the video at the attached link.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...tor-video.html

Disclaimer-I have never done this. Pretty straight-forward, though.
Thanks for reply with take cam out for inspection buts it's only 1 code that I have which is P015 B timing over retarded bank 1 and this car is at 170000 miles I would think that if indeed it has balance shaft issue shouldn't it have failed a long time ago some I thinking maybe it was done already or maybe a different motor done some where else no service records just a few from dealer bought as is
Old 05-15-2017, 09:17 PM

2006 E350
Okay took out all 4 cam sensors and did a visual inspection and both sides are matching but those do not look like pictures posted by konigstiger the check engine did return after run to super market car is running great no hesitation or anything but the codes now are for system too lean bank 1 and bank 2 but no P015 not even pending confused as heck ? Not sure what's next ?
Old 05-16-2017, 05:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2007 E350 Sedan
It may be time to get a scan by someone with the Mercedes DAS (or STAR) system. Some indies have that, all the dealers do. Generally, a scan from a dealer is somewhere between $75 and $100, but it will tell you what is wrong. You don't want to be in the position of throwing parts on the engine and still not getting to the root of the problem, so it can be a pay it now, pay it later proposition.