E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Another easy entry question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C 300 Luxury, Black/Black, Multimedia, iPod Integration
Another easy entry question

My new E-320 was delivered today and I am having a problem getting easy entry to work correctly. Specifically I can not get the seat to automatically retract when the SmartKey is removed. All of the other features work as expected in that when I insert my key the seat, steering wheel and mirror adjustments return to my last settings as they do when my wife inserts her smartkey. All of the memory functions seem to work as we have three memory settings for her key, three more for mine and three more when no key has been inserted. The easy parking feature also works correctly when I place the car in reverse.

The settings for wheel and seats and key dependancy are selected and I have reset to factory defaults and reprogammed several times. The result is always the same... the seat does not retract when the key is removed. Oh yes... It does not matter where the seat is set prior to removing the key, middle, far forward, far back, etc., the seat does nothing when the key is removed.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or is the E-320 the problem?

Mike
2004 E-320 Black/Black
Old 04-17-2004, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Same Problem

I have the same exact problem in my '04 E-500. (if I understand you correctly when you use the word "retract" when refering to the seat...)

When I shut down & remove the key to exit, the wheel moves up but the seat does NOT move rearward at all...no matter what position the seat had been in or memorized to. I have keyless go, so the key is practically never in the ignition switch, but I figure a "shut down" is a "shut down".

My service people told me I am tall, so the seat is set far enough back in my normal driving position so that the rearward exit position has already been passed and is satisfied. They say it is not designed to move ALL the way back, since it would crush the rear seat passenger. I memorized a close up position (too close for me to possibly live with, drove around, and when I shut down to exit, the seat didn't move then either). I spent hours scouring the manuals to see if there is an "exit position" that must be memorized just like you have to pre memorize the downward parking position of the passenger side mirror when in reverse.
I even called MB to ask.

My conclusion? No one at the dealership or at MB knows how this (should) work, and it in fact does not work as designed.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:51 PM

Yes we have exactly the same problem. Thanks for the response. Obviously a software problem.

Mike
Old 04-17-2004, 11:55 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Mine in fact has been mysteriously moving FORWARD after I exit the cabin and it does not reste when I open the door. Dealer is looking at it tonite.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:42 AM

I am not certain, so please don't get on me if I am wrong. I believe in the setting function in the spedo, there is something there for when you exit your car. I don't remember the wording. There is like 2 options, I have mine set for just the wheel to move out of the way and not the seat moving back. I think the second option will do both.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
That Would Seem Logical But...

It doesn't matter which setting you choose. Only the wheel will move up. The seat will never move no matter which setting is selected. That's why I am sure the function does not work as intended.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Re: That Would Seem Logical But...

Originally posted by Barry45RPM
It doesn't matter which setting you choose. Only the wheel will move up. The seat will never move no matter which setting is selected. That's why I am sure the function does not work as intended.
Mine works perfectly every time..... Wheel goes up , seat glides back. Sweeeet.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Mine has always worked fine.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Re: Same Problem

Originally posted by Barry45RPM
My service people told me I am tall, so the seat is set far enough back in my normal driving position so that the rearward exit position has already been passed and is satisfied. They say it is not designed to move ALL the way back, since it would crush the rear seat passenger. I memorized a close up position (too close for me to possibly live with, drove around, and when I shut down to exit, the seat didn't move then either).
I appreciate the fact that you have moved the seat forward to a position that 'you' could not live with. Unfortunately that 'might' not still be close enough.

'Taller' peple have longer legs than those folks who are more 'vertically challenged' so when you move the seat forward to a more uncomfortable position your longer legs will find it difficult to extract themselves. Whereas my 'vertically challenged' wife (5ft 4in) would perhaps still manage to get out very easily. However when she adjusts the seat for a comfortable driving position, the Easy Exit feature works perfectly, yet there is NO way I could seat behind the wheel.

I am not accusing you of failing to have the seat far enough forward for the option to operate, I am merely suggesting there is just a slight possibility that the software has a 'cut in' position that you have not reached, or overstepped???

Good luck,
John
Old 04-18-2004, 10:32 AM

05 C320 sport coupe
If the seat is already far back, it will not go back any further. If you are short and have the seat moved foward it will move back. Perrfectly normal, your car is not broke
Old 04-18-2004, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Let me rephrase my origianl post.... For us NORMAL sized people (I'm 5'- 8") , the funtion works perfectly.......This is obvious by the limitations of the seat set at the factory
Old 04-18-2004, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Yeah, it makes sense, that's why I never questioned the dealer's "You're too tall, its already far back..." explanation. (I'm 6ft, 2in / 250 lbs & its easy enough to get in & out of the car from my normal driving position....) although why a "vertically challanged" driver might need a seat to move back to make the exit openiing bigger to get out is beyond me! I thought "the bigger the car, the wider the garage door must be"
Old 04-18-2004, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
I actually find the feature quite handy.... As "normal" as I am, I find that if the seat doesn't move back I have to be extra carefull as not to kick and rub the inside of the door panel and speaker covers with my "normal" feet when getting out.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Let me rephrase my origianl post.... For us NORMAL sized people (I'm 5'- 8") , the funtion works perfectly.......This is obvious by the limitations of the seat set at the factory
NORMAL!!!!!! 5' 8" NORMAL

No wonder you ride a Harley Davidson

I am the only 'normal' sized person in our household, my son is a midget at 6' 1"

That said, we are all envious of the seat moving back for 'She that must be obeyed'

I just thought the vehicle was showing due respect to the 'Lady' of the household, by moving the seat back to allow her an easier exit.

Regards,
John
Old 04-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Almost a Member!

E500
my son is a midget at 6' 1"
I guess this is a matter of points of view...

Regarding the threshold for the seat to move back, I found this post on another forum:

The seat position past which it will not move back is programmable. (by your dealer using the lap top)
--
Benzforeman
Old 04-18-2004, 01:02 PM

2004 E500
Originally posted by Silvergt02
If the seat is already far back, it will not go back any further. If you are short and have the seat moved foward it will move back. Perrfectly normal, your car is not broke
Silver is correct. The seat retracting motion only occurs if the seat is forward of a specific position. Mine never retracts because of how far back I sit. But I did test the feature by moving the seat uncomfortably (for me) forward and then taking out the key. The seat then retracts. Try this.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:53 PM

Strange that most of the replys do not respond to my original set of conditions in that the seat will not retract regardless of where it started from. Even if I place the seat as far forward as it will go it does not retract when I remove the key.

Since some seem to work correctly I will visit the dealer and get the problem resolved.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by K9JRI
Since some seem to work correctly I will visit the dealer and get the problem resolved.
Hi Mike,
Your quite correct in taking the vehicle back to the dealer. We had a simillar problem and the technician simply reprogrammed one of the vehicles internal gizzmo's and now the seat works perfectly for 'she that must be obeyed'

Many apologies for answering another members query instead of yours.

Good luck with the problem.

John
Old 04-18-2004, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally posted by glojo
NORMAL!!!!!! 5' 8" NORMAL

No wonder you ride a Harley Davidson
Yes John, and to make matters worse I'm about a buck fifty soaking wet.... So naturally to make up for my short comings I ride a harley, drive a mercedes AND carry a 9mm Glock to even the playing field a little...
Old 04-19-2004, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
AND carry a 9mm Glock to even the playing field a little...
Beats my walking around with a cuckoo 'glock'!!!! (Seems you cannot spell clock )

Take care
John

Last edited by glojo; 04-19-2004 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
This post has been something to brighten up an otherwise grey, cloudy morning. Thanks all
Old 04-20-2004, 07:37 PM

The dealer replaced the Seat Adjustment Control Module today and all is well. I was quite dissappointed that this defect was not caught before delivery.

It did not appear to work correctly during the delivery process but the sales person was not very familiar with the feature and service people were not present on Saturday morning.

Mike
Indianapolis, IN