E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

hard plastic or soft plastic bumper??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
hard plastic or soft plastic bumper??

I am, again, looking for E55 front bumper lol Came across a few listings of used bumpers that need a little fixing for about $200-300, one is for 200 for a little crack which my friend and I can fix. So i called up the shop and said it's a soft plastic bumper and my car has hard plastic bumper, I asked what's the diff and i couldn't understand him properly. Is that really a thing?

And does the E55 amg bumper has same molding and installation as a base E350? Besides that, only thing is painting the bumper. My friend home paints stuff for himself and some who needs it. He did his whole car and came out pretty good and showed me few other bumpers and roof on cars and they all matched the original color.

Any input would be appreciated!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
I've never heard of "Soft" plastic covers. Assuming that the OEM is a hard type material. Wouldn't the soft be more flexible and cost less then hard shell type? That's very interesting..I'll definitely chat with the dealers on that or for that matter MBUSA for answers. Wow soft bumpers is that even legal? or when is primed, and paint, then baked does it harden? Mind blown!