E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 E320 mystery....iso help...

Old 07-13-2017, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
2003 E320 mystery....iso help...

So just bought a 2003 E 320 and seemed like a solid car and the first 5000 miles were wonderful.

Then one morning I went to start it and the Check Engine light came on, and the SRS light.

Went to AutoZone and they got Errors when trying to pull codes. Went to a Mercedes dealer and they were baffled because they couldn't pull codes either. They also couldn't find any stored information about how the car is running.

They checked the Central Gateway unit and said it was fine as well.

He said the recommendation would be for a new cluster for $1000, but wouldn't recommend that investment for a 2003.

The dash had also said there was a Display Malfunction in addition to the Check Engine and the SRS.

As we were on a road trip the dealer said he felt reasonably sure we could make it back home. Which we did.

At home I did some research and then disconnected the batteries and pulled out the cluster to see if there was anything obvious. There was nothing, so it was put back in place, and everything returned to how it should be.

Almost...The Check Engine light and the SRS light was still on and that makes sense.

But now the seats didn't work any more. Neither the drivers side or the passengers side, and none of the 3 sections worked now. Nor will the truck pop from the keyless remote.

The seats are just dead. Nothing and the fuses are fine.

The trunk is odd. The lights on the interior work and the button to close the trunk works as well and closes when pushed. So its not that brown wire that most people have concerns with or the motor. When I click the remote for the trunk I don't hear anything in the trunk to make it sound like its trying to open.

I did have to use the mechanical key when I was removing the cluster because I had to close the trunk. I don't see why that should have caused the problem.

I can't fathom why or how those things would be affected by pulling out the cluster, or was it not related?

What are you thoughts?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,378 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Where is CEL, it has to be a code. Get the car scanned by people with qualifications.
For trunk make sure you pulled the blade key in right position.
Check with manual, but when you pull the blade in other position the trunk is permanently locked and only blade will open it again.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:19 AM

2003 E320
No codes

AutoZone nor the MB dealer was able to pull codes.

That is the crazy thing. AutoZone I can understand to a degree, as they try to please everyone.

MB could not get a code either. So that is why there is no more information on what is wrong.

I had it at a MB dealer and AutoZone neither could pull codes. If the MB dealer isn't qualified who is?

The CEL (I assume is Check Engine Light) is under the clock, far left on the cluster.

The Check Engine Light, SRS, are light up, the central info center says Display Malfunction, but no codes, and MB can't get any current information from how it has been operating recently.

I am wary to put money into the car, because the MB Dealer said the cluster replacement is just a start as it might then show a real problem. Or the problem might just be random lights are on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much about the trunk. My guess is that is the problem.

Is there anyway to move the seats to at least get them in a better spot? They were moved as far away from the dash to pull the cluster out.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:42 AM

2003 E320
Thanks, trunk works!!

Any insights on the seats? lol......
Old 07-14-2017, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Originally Posted by MrPart
Thanks, trunk works!!

Any insights on the seats? lol......

Well if you had the ability to pull the cluster out and put it back in without breaking anything then I guess you have mechanical skills

2003.... can't pull codes, time for manual troubleshooting...

If it where my car ? I would start pulling any connector inside i could get my hands on and checking for dirty/oxidized connectors and cleaning up what i could.

Since the seats have gone wonky, I would start at the seat and work my way back...

Do you have a multimeter to check for voltages ?

A schematic of your car ?

The dealer could do this, but at their rate it would cost you a fortune to have them troubleshoot it....

My .05 cause Ive btdt on too many of my old cars

Mike
Old 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM

2003 E320
Skills

I do have mechanical skills, but there are less and less mechanics in cars and more and more circuit boards sadly.

I have never had a Mercedes before so this is all new to me. I was hoping to have a quick purchase for a 6 months stay in the US and sell it, but now, I might be stuck.

The cluster was easy as its all in one unit. I would replace that but read you still need the dealer to transfer car information to the new cluster, which isn't possible for mere mortals.

Connectors from in where? The cluster is really all surface printed boards all sandwiched together. So there wasn't much I felt safe doing on the cluster.

Isn't it odd that both seats went out at the same time? What ties them together? Anything you know of? And would they go through instrument cluster?

I can get a multimeter no problem. I have sold most of my tools when I moved overseas.

The dealer is out since the costs and I hate paying for things I can do myself. so any insight from your experience is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have you checked Fuses ?

That's another thing you can do with a multimeter too...

pull each fuse and check it for continuity with the mm...

sometimes they look ok when they are not... burned once by that...

I don't have this model but seems you are good at searching, see if you can find the electrical schematic for your model and trace those seats back to a central connection ....
Old 07-14-2017, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,378 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I don't have good opinion about "professional" mechanics, so unqualified technician at dealer does not surprise me.
Just had new truck for couple of very minor repairs and after holding the truck for 2 days, the dealer gave it back to me with TPMS still leaking
I would talk to SA about resolution, or call MBUSA if they can recommend something.
Coming to cluster, my friend replaced his, since the odometer chip is just attached on the back and easy transferable to other cluster.
Have seen topic on this forum about it.
Still major issue is to get the codes.

Last edited by kajtek1; 07-14-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:22 PM

2003 E320
fuses...

I did check the fuses, but never have seen one that hasn't be burnt and looked fine so I will be more careful and swap some that I know are good.

Where does one find a schematic for a car?

I havne't had to worry about electrical issues before.

Thanks

Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
Have you checked Fuses ?

That's another thing you can do with a multimeter too...

pull each fuse and check it for continuity with the mm...

sometimes they look ok when they are not... burned once by that...

I don't have this model but seems you are good at searching, see if you can find the electrical schematic for your model and trace those seats back to a central connection ....
Old 07-14-2017, 03:29 PM

2003 E320
cluster

From what I have read its not just the odometer, but the cluster has to be set to your vehicle in some fashion with the VIN and some other things.

I will look more into as I have seen the cluster is easy to replace, but then you get stuck on having to transfer the info between the two cars.

I do understand what you mean about "professionals" who seem downright terrible, but with an 2003 I am not going to get much help I would imagine from MBUSA.

What os who is SA?

Sadly the codes seem to be lost until the cluster is taken care of. The cluster won't be done by MB because its so expensive and if I can't transfer the car info then I can't do it.

Originally Posted by kajtek1
I don't have good opinion about "professional" mechanics, so unqualified technician at dealer does not surprise me.
Just had new truck for couple of very minor repairs and after holding the truck for 2 days, the dealer gave it back to me with TPMS still leaking
I would talk to SA about resolution, or call MBUSA if they can recommend something.
Coming to cluster, my friend replaced his, since the odometer chip is just attached on the back and easy transferable to other cluster.
Have seen topic on this forum about it.
Still major issue is to get the codes.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

try here:

https://www.repairsurge.com/Mercedes...-manual-online

90 days free.... so you got 90 days to fix it
Old 07-14-2017, 03:42 PM

2003 E320
Thank you...

Thanks I will look at that, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
try here:

https://www.repairsurge.com/Mercedes...-manual-online

90 days free.... so you got 90 days to fix it