W211 - Replace factory head unit with Android navigation unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 09:59 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
'07 E350 (W211)
Originally Posted by Philip Ware
Hello!

Does anybody know if it is possible to edit the original menu that the Android screen comes with. For example, to delete the ´Music' and ´Video´ links and change them, to say, Spotify and Netflix?

I can´t seem to edit anything.
If you haven't tried a new launcher, you should give Car Launcher AGAMA a shot. I've been using it for years and really like it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.carlauncher
The following users liked this post:
Charlotte12Turn (12-16-2020)
Old 12-15-2018, 03:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 E500
Does it communicate with the display in the dash and do the buttons in the steering wheel still work?
Old 12-22-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 W222 4Matic, '15 ML63, '12 W251, '08 W251
I'm a newcomer to this site, but have been extensively contributing on other sites for some time. Pleased to meet you all. I have a little bit of experience with the Avin 9" HU as well as devices by other vendors.

Regarding the FM, I have been successful connecting a lead from the +ant output wire to the stock antenna amplifier box. On the W164 and W251 it is located inside the hatch beneath the window. Splice into the hot wire feeding that box. Do not cut the 12v feed wire, splice into it. This will allow you to use the factory FAKRA antenna connection as it is an amplified impedance matching circuit which must be powered in order to function. Additionally, you may wish to ensure that your FM actually works on your test bench. Mine did not, even using a 31" piece of #12 THHN that I normally use to simulate an FM antenna. I had to open my radio - I discovered that the center conductor for the Motorola FM connector does not make contact so it's like you're not even using an antenna at all. I removed my motorola connector entirely and installed a FAKRA pigtail which I soldered to the FM board. Note: Motorola connector center pin does not even touch the connector in any of the three AVIN radios I have installed.

While having the AVIN head unit opened on my bench, I discovered that the stubby WIFI antenna wasn't even correctly connected to the WIFI board on the radio. Upon further inspection I noted that of the two WIFI antenna ports on the WIFI board, only one had been used and this one was via an unshielded conductor soldered to the board next to the mini uhf connector. This little unshielded wire runs to the back side of the antenna connector mounted to the back of the radio. It just plain sucks. I installed proper shielded wires to two of my own installed bulkhead connectors and ran WIFI antennas from the back of the HU to the A-pillar on either side of the front glass. Still the WIFI reception sucked. So I removed the Wireless card inside the radio and replaced it with my own Atheros wireless card originally designed for use in a notebook computer. Unfortunately the HU 3.3v psu craps out with the additional current requirements from the Atheros card. So I replaced the Atheros with the original wifi board, however I reflowed the terrible cold solders everywhere, realizing that this may be the main reason it gave such poor performance. Do I get great WIFI reception now? Yes, I do have fantastic WIFI. But with one caviat.

My WIFI reception is fantastic, as long as I'm parked in my garage where I ran a shielded cat 6 UTP wire from my switch to a WAP recently installed inside my garage. The unmodified AVIN radio in the other car in the garage gets about the same reception on the stock WIFI so it was all an enormous waste of time.

I have tried to interface to the factory build in hands free mic module to no success. In my vehicles the microphone array is carefully engineered set of mics which are actively noise cancelling as well as shaping the pickup area in the vehicle via cardiod and time delay techniques beyond the scope of explanation here. I have had great success using my own powered mic capsule which I have located in ceiling mounted lighting assembly. My powered mic normally uses a couple of coin style cells in a battery pack which also houses the phantom power circuit for the mic. I have successfully used the 'mic power' lead on the AVIN to supply +5vdc to the my mic module and I do have excellent hands free mic now.

I've basically removed my original 9" Avin head unit so many times and reinstalled it so many times I can remove it in about fifteen seconds. Do I think the AVIN is a great head unit worth your time and money? Um...I think it's better than the other available radios in this price range for a few reasons. Tommy has been fantastic to me, has given me zero grief in swapping head units with other ones, even paid the shipping back and forth. I've really had good experience with Tommy and while it's true he is not reachable via telephone, perhaps it's better this way - think about it. I have found the best way to communicate with him is via the chat window at avinusa.com - and I'm getting ready to purchase another AVIN here in the next few days.

I must say that I have extensive background working with electronic circuits. I am a member of MOST. I can repair most vehicle control modules at board level. I have the tools and workbench to perform such things, where you may not and are not interested in such issues. I believe that the AVIN unit is the best for the money if you want the least headache. I think you'll be fine if you aren't afraid of a little DIY and have a multi-meter. And I am always available to answer whatever questions I can.
The following 2 users liked this post by stu_pidaso:
Charlotte12Turn (12-16-2020), Lubo2018 (01-15-2021)
Old 03-12-2019, 11:11 PM

E320 estate avantgarde w211 2003
Kenwood or Pioneer head unit

Hi there, considering, looking to put one of these (suitable model) units on my w211 2003 wagon nicknamed Janis&#128521 as my Viseoo unit fails to be read by the Comand unit.. was working , the Viseoo was pulled out of the cradle in a clean up and now no talky talky ! ..... cant find a solution.. new cradle? new curly cable ?.. can I do a diagnostic on the comand unit? no idea .. sat nav is clunky and music from phone wasnt viable other than by aux cable .

So has anyone laid out big $$$ on such units and what is their experience.. cost in Oz is aound 1200-1300 AUD.. ouch..
Old 03-13-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204
Hi, is anyone installed the 360 camera on this android ? I have a problem with reversing guidlines which are not suitable for 360 camera partly screen.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E500
Originally Posted by simhim
Hi guys, i have a e500 w211, the factory unit was defective, it would be expensive to repair or replace a new one, so i consider an aftermarket and i found this Android unit:

https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/mercedes-w...o-upgrade.html

It's with Android os, with all the features i need, i'm just a little worry about installation, i don't know if my car has fiber optic amp or not, can anyone recommend an installation shop near Houston? how much would it cost?

Thanks

I have installed this unit from dvdgpsnav for over a year, it still runs smoothly and i love it. I had a mechanic install it for me, $120. It was an easy job and i should be able to install another unit by myself now. The only regret, i see it can be upgraded with android 8.0 system now, mine is android 7.1, i hope i'm able to upgrade it to 8.0.

Last edited by simhim; 03-27-2023 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:58 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
'07 E350 (W211)
Here is some info to get you started on finding the firmware update, if you are comfortable with the process. It's easy, but you need to read and understand the directions or else you could have problems. The most important thing is finding your manufacturer - not who you bought it from, but the actual manufacturer. Check out this thread for some background on these units and the manufacturers.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...hread-t3734189

Once you know the manufacturer you can go find the firmware for that manufacturer here:
https://yadi.sk/d/umCvHqCDzHccr

That first thread should have a link or details on the actual update process. Seeing this reminded me mine needs updating so I just downloaded my firmware and will update in the next week..... so if you have problems I can probably point you in the right direction.
The following 3 users liked this post by robbieas:
Charlotte12Turn (12-16-2020), Lubo2018 (04-06-2021), rvsrf (07-28-2020)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
w211, W212, w204, W205, C209
Sorry to bring back this post from the dead, but I just finished installing an Android 8.0 head unit on my 2005 CLK320. My understanding is the wiring on the W211 of the same vintage is the same, do I figured it would help W211 owners looking to do this upgrade. Also, I did a 3 part video series on how to install and it includes a wiring diagram. It was a learn as you go experience, but I figured I would post it here so it can help any of those thinking of doing this upgrade. Link to the W209 thread is listed below:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...6&goto=newpost
The following 3 users liked this post by Marcorati:
bluewater (01-11-2021), Charlotte12Turn (12-16-2020), SF2LA (01-16-2024)
Old 08-07-2019, 08:46 AM

C280 2008 PF
Hey guys! I have the unit for some time now, but as a sound tech guy, there is a big thing that bugs me. I have the audio from the unit on mono. Both left and right sources spread to all speakers. Anyone has the same issue? How to solve that? Is that a screen config or a car config? maybe a bad connection? I know i mannaged to work the sound without the aux cable provided. I just set the car unit on aux and i have sound from the screen. But if i check the balance on the options, left and right are the same! All sound goes to all speakers, and thats really anoying. It's not a proper stereo. Pls help
Old 09-15-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 Mercedes E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Marcorati
Sorry to bring back this post from the dead, but I just finished installing an Android 8.0 head unit on my 2005 CLK320. My understanding is the wiring on the W211 of the same vintage is the same, do I figured it would help W211 owners looking to do this upgrade. Also, I did a 3 part video series on how to install and it includes a wiring diagram. It was a learn as you go experience, but I figured I would post it here so it can help any of those thinking of doing this upgrade. Link to the W209 thread is listed below:
I watched your videos. If you have the Harmon Kardon System there is no wiring to the back of the stock radio except for a fiber optic connection. I ran everything correctly to the Canbus Decoder Box and plugged the RCA jacks into the appropriate left and right connections on the Android Unit (Xtrons 9.0). The radio powers up. Makes connection with watched your videos. If you have the Harmon Kardon System there is no wiring to the back of the stock radio except for a fiber optic connection. I ran everything correctly to the Canbus Decoder Box and plugged the RCA jacks into the appropriate left and right connections on the Android Unit (Xtrons 9.0). The radio my phone but I get no sound!
Old 09-15-2019, 03:53 PM

Xtrons

Originally Posted by Absolut257
I can assure that the 7.1 android head unit kit that they sell is garbage because it does not even work. Their fiber optic decoder and canbus controller did not even a wire up physically to the available ports in their wire harness. Xtron is a joke, the kit did not even come with any instructions because obviously they never installed that product on a w211 let alone an e55. This was not even me attempting to install it but a pretty decent car audio shop in my area that does high end cars.
I have one of the new Xtrons Units.
If you have the Harmon Kardon System there is no wiring to the back of the stock radio except for a fiber optic connection. I ran everything correctly to the Canbus Decoder Box and plugged the RCA jacks into the appropriate left and right connections on the Android Unit (Xtrons 9.0). The radio powers up. Makes connection with watched your videos. If you have the Harmon Kardon System there is no wiring to the back of the stock radio except for a fiber optic connection. I ran everything correctly to the Canbus Decoder Box and plugged the RCA jacks into the appropriate left and right connections on the Android Unit (Xtrons 9.0). The radio my phone but I get no sound!
What was the solution? You seem to have uncovered it.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:58 PM

I can assure that the 7.1 android head unit kit that they sell is garbage because it does not even work. Their fiber optic decoder and canbus controller did not even a wire up physically to the available ports in their wire harness. Xtron is a joke, the kit did not even come with any instructions because obviously they never installed that product on a w211 let alone an e55. This was not even me attempting to install it but a pretty decent car audio shop in my area that does high end cars.
Xtrons
If you have the Harmon Kardon System there is no wiring to the back of the stock radio except for a fiber optic connection. I ran everything correctly to the Canbus Decoder Box and plugged the RCA jacks into the appropriate left and right connections on the Android Unit (Xtrons 9.0). The radio powers up. I ran everything correctly to the Canbus Decoder Box and plugged the RCA jacks into the appropriate left and right connections on the Android Unit (Xtrons 9.0). The radio my phone but I get no sound!

Old 09-18-2019, 07:14 AM

GLK 220 CDI 4matic
Hello all. I installed an android 10.25, square corners on a GLK w204 model 2009. Connected to aux. The iPhone connected via bluetooth with the android unit. Later I installed a Dongle Carlinkit Wireless Apple CarPlay, which I use connected on bluetooth with my phone. Do I have to connect my phone to the android unit and Carlinkit at the same time? If I do this over the CarPlay interface in case of a phone call the android call appears. If I disconnect from the android unit (bluetooth), in order to have sound I have to switch from Command to aux and the radio no longer works. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 10-31-2019, 12:52 PM

E W212 2014
Problem after a good installatio.

One day working perfect.

Second day...

Screen locked and i dont know how to solve.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 GLK350 4Matic; 2010 Audi A4 Quattro; 2004 Yamaha R1
try the reset pinhole ... it's midway down on the left side of the display. You know the microscopic little hole you put a pin in and push ... should reset the unit ... push and hold for like 10 seconds...
Old 11-02-2019, 03:05 AM

E W212 2014
Originally Posted by tawatts
try the reset pinhole ... it's midway down on the left side of the display. You know the microscopic little hole you put a pin in and push ... should reset the unit ... push and hold for like 10 seconds...
I try this but not work. The screen is locked
Old 12-28-2019, 03:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
‘17 AMG C43, ‘10 C300 4MATIC Sport (previous)
I too was wondering same.
Originally Posted by Pupu
hi, by any chance do you know how to reverse the menu screen? I attach photos
Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2007 e63 estate, 1998 ITB golf, ITE scirocco (sold to a collector in Japan)
i decided to just replace all of the fiber stuff. it gives a lot more options. i put in a pioneer 4100 NEX. alpine amplifier. JBL subwoofer (fits nicely with a few mods into the stock subwoofer place) old MB Quart speakers in front. focals in back (i mounted the tweeters on the ash trays...looks a bit odd but sounds great). removed the awful front center speaker and the two in the upper back (it's an e63 wagon). my GF cleaned the 4100 with some fluid and let it run down into the the hard buttons (destroying them) on the front panel so i replaced it with a 4400 NEX. i installed a converter for the steering wheel so that i can use those buttons (that part seems to be flawed; i can use the volume buttons and the phone buttons but not the advance track stuff. or i can use the advance track stuff but not the phone buttons...) it does android auto perfectly. allows USB and microdisk. CDs if you want them. oh, yeah, it also allowed me to install a rearview camera.
The following 2 users liked this post by sciroccor:
Charlotte12Turn (12-16-2020), krsone579 (04-01-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 01:08 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 E550
does the sedan have an antenna amplifier that needs to get a turn on signal to function?
Old 07-12-2020, 07:24 AM

W220 320CDI LIMO VERSION
Xtron

Same as and it cost me £50 to send the junk back
Advert is very misleading
Old 07-12-2020, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts
C320
Do any of these Android head units work as advertised?
Old 07-12-2020, 01:12 PM

W220 320CDI LIMO VERSION
Head unit

Originally Posted by tjts1
Do any of these Android head units work as advertised?
I have now returned the xtrons and bought an Electro. Hoping to have better luck
Giving the install to a professional but I still can't work out if I need cabling from my Most box in the back to the head unit
Would appreciate a steer in the right direction
Thanks Barry
Old 07-14-2020, 09:53 PM

E 500 2003
HI there, just wondering if you still have your e500 and if the after marker radio was worth it?
Old 01-11-2021, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Anyone bought an android head unit from Erisin (Es8189e from alibaba.com)? Would like to know how it works with fiber.

Last edited by bluewater; 01-11-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:50 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
03' Mercedes-Benz E500
Mines had fiber. I replaced it with the 6m cable and used custom amps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W211 - Replace factory head unit with Android navigation unit