Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
W211 - Replace factory head unit with Android navigation unit >

W211 - Replace factory head unit with Android navigation unit

Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 - Replace factory head unit with Android navigation unit

Old 12-13-2018, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'07 E350 (W211)
Originally Posted by Philip Ware View Post
Hello!

Does anybody know if it is possible to edit the original menu that the Android screen comes with. For example, to delete the ´Music' and ´Video´ links and change them, to say, Spotify and Netflix?

I can´t seem to edit anything.
If you haven't tried a new launcher, you should give Car Launcher AGAMA a shot. I've been using it for years and really like it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.carlauncher
Old 12-15-2018, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500
Does it communicate with the display in the dash and do the buttons in the steering wheel still work?
Old 12-22-2018, 01:51 PM

W163 Inspiration, 07 W251, '12 W251
I'm a newcomer to this site, but have been extensively contributing on other sites for some time. Pleased to meet you all. I have a little bit of experience with the Avin 9" HU as well as devices by other vendors.

Regarding the FM, I have been successful connecting a lead from the +ant output wire to the stock antenna amplifier box. On the W164 and W251 it is located inside the hatch beneath the window. Splice into the hot wire feeding that box. Do not cut the 12v feed wire, splice into it. This will allow you to use the factory FAKRA antenna connection as it is an amplified impedance matching circuit which must be powered in order to function. Additionally, you may wish to ensure that your FM actually works on your test bench. Mine did not, even using a 31" piece of #12 THHN that I normally use to simulate an FM antenna. I had to open my radio - I discovered that the center conductor for the Motorola FM connector does not make contact so it's like you're not even using an antenna at all. I removed my motorola connector entirely and installed a FAKRA pigtail which I soldered to the FM board. Note: Motorola connector center pin does not even touch the connector in any of the three AVIN radios I have installed.

While having the AVIN head unit opened on my bench, I discovered that the stubby WIFI antenna wasn't even correctly connected to the WIFI board on the radio. Upon further inspection I noted that of the two WIFI antenna ports on the WIFI board, only one had been used and this one was via an unshielded conductor soldered to the board next to the mini uhf connector. This little unshielded wire runs to the back side of the antenna connector mounted to the back of the radio. It just plain sucks. I installed proper shielded wires to two of my own installed bulkhead connectors and ran WIFI antennas from the back of the HU to the A-pillar on either side of the front glass. Still the WIFI reception sucked. So I removed the Wireless card inside the radio and replaced it with my own Atheros wireless card originally designed for use in a notebook computer. Unfortunately the HU 3.3v psu craps out with the additional current requirements from the Atheros card. So I replaced the Atheros with the original wifi board, however I reflowed the terrible cold solders everywhere, realizing that this may be the main reason it gave such poor performance. Do I get great WIFI reception now? Yes, I do have fantastic WIFI. But with one caviat.

My WIFI reception is fantastic, as long as I'm parked in my garage where I ran a shielded cat 6 UTP wire from my switch to a WAP recently installed inside my garage. The unmodified AVIN radio in the other car in the garage gets about the same reception on the stock WIFI so it was all an enormous waste of time.

I have tried to interface to the factory build in hands free mic module to no success. In my vehicles the microphone array is carefully engineered set of mics which are actively noise cancelling as well as shaping the pickup area in the vehicle via cardiod and time delay techniques beyond the scope of explanation here. I have had great success using my own powered mic capsule which I have located in ceiling mounted lighting assembly. My powered mic normally uses a couple of coin style cells in a battery pack which also houses the phantom power circuit for the mic. I have successfully used the 'mic power' lead on the AVIN to supply +5vdc to the my mic module and I do have excellent hands free mic now.

I've basically removed my original 9" Avin head unit so many times and reinstalled it so many times I can remove it in about fifteen seconds. Do I think the AVIN is a great head unit worth your time and money? Um...I think it's better than the other available radios in this price range for a few reasons. Tommy has been fantastic to me, has given me zero grief in swapping head units with other ones, even paid the shipping back and forth. I've really had good experience with Tommy and while it's true he is not reachable via telephone, perhaps it's better this way - think about it. I have found the best way to communicate with him is via the chat window at avinusa.com - and I'm getting ready to purchase another AVIN here in the next few days.

I must say that I have extensive background working with electronic circuits. I am a member of MOST. I can repair most vehicle control modules at board level. I have the tools and workbench to perform such things, where you may not and are not interested in such issues. I believe that the AVIN unit is the best for the money if you want the least headache. I think you'll be fine if you aren't afraid of a little DIY and have a multi-meter. And I am always available to answer whatever questions I can.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 estate avantgarde w211 2003
Kenwood or Pioneer head unit

Hi there, considering, looking to put one of these (suitable model) units on my w211 2003 wagon nicknamed Janis&#128521 as my Viseoo unit fails to be read by the Comand unit.. was working , the Viseoo was pulled out of the cradle in a clean up and now no talky talky ! ..... cant find a solution.. new cradle? new curly cable ?.. can I do a diagnostic on the comand unit? no idea .. sat nav is clunky and music from phone wasnt viable other than by aux cable .

So has anyone laid out big $$$ on such units and what is their experience.. cost in Oz is aound 1200-1300 AUD.. ouch..
Old 03-13-2019, 02:21 PM

W204
Hi, is anyone installed the 360 camera on this android ? I have a problem with reversing guidlines which are not suitable for 360 camera partly screen.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz E500
Originally Posted by simhim View Post
Hi guys, i have a e500 w211, the factory unit was defective, it would be expensive to repair or replace a new one, so i consider an aftermarket and i found this Android unit:

https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/android-do...head-unit.html

It's with Android 7.1 os, with all the features i need, i'm just a little worry about installation, i don't know if my car has fiber optic amp or not, can anyone recommend an installation shop near Houston? how much would it cost?

Thanks

I have installed this unit from dvdgpsnav for over a year, it still runs smoothly and i love it. I had a mechanic install it for me, $120. It was an easy job and i should be able to install another unit by myself now. The only regret, i see it can be upgraded with android 8.0 system now, mine is android 7.1, i hope i'm able to upgrade it to 8.0.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'07 E350 (W211)
Here is some info to get you started on finding the firmware update, if you are comfortable with the process. It's easy, but you need to read and understand the directions or else you could have problems. The most important thing is finding your manufacturer - not who you bought it from, but the actual manufacturer. Check out this thread for some background on these units and the manufacturers.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...hread-t3734189

Once you know the manufacturer you can go find the firmware for that manufacturer here:
https://yadi.sk/d/umCvHqCDzHccr

That first thread should have a link or details on the actual update process. Seeing this reminded me mine needs updating so I just downloaded my firmware and will update in the next week..... so if you have problems I can probably point you in the right direction.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
w211, W212, w204, W205, C209
Sorry to bring back this post from the dead, but I just finished installing an Android 8.0 head unit on my 2005 CLK320. My understanding is the wiring on the W211 of the same vintage is the same, do I figured it would help W211 owners looking to do this upgrade. Also, I did a 3 part video series on how to install and it includes a wiring diagram. It was a learn as you go experience, but I figured I would post it here so it can help any of those thinking of doing this upgrade. Link to the W209 thread is listed below:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...6&goto=newpost