E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2006 E320 CDI - Preglow indicator won't iluminate. Car does not start, cranck, click

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320 CDI 2006
2006 E320 CDI - Preglow indicator won't iluminate. Car does not start, cranck, click

Hello All,
I have searched and found some posts with similar but not the same problem as my car. Hopefully I can find out the issue with your help; thanks in advance for your inputs.
I have a 2006 E320 CDI.
My car started having ECU problems about a year ago (after a couple of times car blew the DC socket fuse same day, it didn't do it anymore after a while) ; also the display showed few drive to workshop warnings and fan was always on high (either with AC on or off) at start. The gear selector indicator on the display panel disappeared as well as the C/S (classic/sport I believe) option. Everything else on the panel works, including the preglow indicator light.
About a month ago I bought an Icarsoft so I could read/reset Mercedes codes but the scanner could not connect to the ECU via MB diagnostics but it connected via OBDII diagnostics.
I decided to check fuses and relays and they all seemed to be OK. I unplugged the ECU/ECM to check for water leakage but ECU seemed fine.
Now, when I plugged the ECU back, first thing I noticed is that the preglow indicator light doesn't come on (illuminate); when I turn the key, car won't start, crank, click, or even give a humming noise, fans don't come on either.
So, I have a couple of questions. The preglow indicator doesn't come on; is there something that happened in the starting system preventing the preglow indicator from coming on? I put an ECU from another car (knowing it wouldn't start but at least it would crank I guess) but preglow indicator does not come up; car won't try to crank. I understand the glow plug control module if faulty, makes the preglow indicator stay on all the time; am I right?
Also, I asked the dealer for a replacement ECU but price is exorbitant; I sent the ECU to a repair facility in another state and I was told they couldn't repair it as data from the ECU was unreadable; data couldn't be extracted. SO, looking for options here too.
OK, any help on this is appreciated.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Tow the car to any place in Coney Island. I bet within an hour the car will be gone---then call the police and the insurance company and tell them your $15,000 MB was stolen.

You can use the proceeds to purchase a new ECU!