E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Coolant level warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2004 E55, Triumph Speed Triple
Coolant level warning

Hi all, my mom has an 2009 E350, and the coolant level light comes on intermittently, then goes off after a couple minutes, and the coolant level is fine. Any idea what would cause this? I'd imagine there is a level sensor somewhere that is bugging out.

Thanks,

Tyler
Old 08-08-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E270 cdi 2004
This happened to me as well, coolant level was fine but the message after a while will stay on as soon as you start the car. It turned out to be a faulty coolant reservoir tank in my case. It was changed and the message was gone.

If coolant level is fine and the engine temperature stays where it should be then nothing to worry about. When is the car due for coolant flush?
In your case, disconnect the coolant level sensor and see if the message is still their.
Secondly, check the connectivity on wire coming to the coolant sensor.
That's the route I followed and we narrowed it down to coolant reservoir.
Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
skylinrcr01 (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2004 E55, Triumph Speed Triple
Originally Posted by Azeem
This happened to me as well, coolant level was fine but the message after a while will stay on as soon as you start the car. It turned out to be a faulty coolant reservoir tank in my case. It was changed and the message was gone.

If coolant level is fine and the engine temperature stays where it should be then nothing to worry about. When is the car due for coolant flush?
In your case, disconnect the coolant level sensor and see if the message is still their.
Secondly, check the connectivity on wire coming to the coolant sensor.
That's the route I followed and we narrowed it down to coolant reservoir.
Hope this helps.
Flushed the coolant around 6 months ago, so that's done. A new reservoir is $30, so I think I'll start by replacing that. It's hard to trouble shoot since it's so intermittent, this is the 3rd or 4th time in 4 months that it's happened. It's just freaking my mom out.

At any rate, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.