E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E320, 2004. Check fuel gauge sign...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006, E350, 142k miles.
Question E320, 2004. Check fuel gauge sign...

It all started, after I got my blower motor replaced 5-6 months back, at a road side mechanic (not MB dealer). As I came out of the shop, I started feeling smell of gas. I took it back to the mechanic, he said, nothing to worry about.
Then I started getting 'check fuel cap' sign in red. I took it to my regular mechanic (different one), who advised me to replace the fuel cap. I bought it from the MB dealer (original one). But the problem has persisted. I also noticed smell of gas, when ever I used to fill up the tank, which lasted almost, till tank was down to 3/4. Once the car stalled on me, in the middle of the highway. I changed the batteries, but my suspicion is - batteries were not to blame.
Recently, I read on the forum, the smell of gas inside the car is not a good sign. The car may catch fire. So I took it back to my mechanic, who advised to change the charcoal canister, which I did. I bought it on Ebay and the mechanic gladly replaced it. I forgot to mention, I have been getting check engine light too, from last 3-4 months.
Now I keep getting check fuel cap sign in red and check engine light continuosly, despite changing fuel cap and charcoal vapor canister.
What is next?
Please suggest.
God bless you all.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W211 forum...
Old 08-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Could be multiple problems, have someone with MB DAS (diagnostics) pull fault codes.

In addition, pull rear seat cushion to see if there are gas stains if so, MBUSA will replace complete fuel tank at no cost under 15-year warranty extension.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear Seat cushion removal.pdf (117.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: pdf
Letter Warranty Extension.pdf (476.2 KB, 75 views)
The following users liked this post:
drpai (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:24 PM

2006, E350, 142k miles.
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Could be multiple problems, have someone with MB DAS (diagnostics) pull fault codes.

In addition, pull rear seat cushion to see if there are gas stains if so, MBUSA will replace complete fuel tank at no cost under 15-year warranty extension.
Sorry konigstiger for not replying earlier to your post, as I was traveling.
Update: Yesterday (9/6/17), I took my car to Mercedes dealer with print out of warranty extension letter, you had attached with your post.
The service agent initially asked me, I will have to pay 160$ for diagnostic charge for check engine light and 160$ for the diagnostic of "smelling gas in the cabin."
Today, he called me, "Mercedes will replace the gas tank without any charge to me at all. He also said, "the diagnostic charge (160$+ 160$ = 320$) will also be waived, as it was from the leaking gas tank!!" I could not believe it! First time, I will be driving out of mercedes dealership without paying a penny, but getting the required fix done.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, kongstiger for your expert advice and time and trouble you took to post the print out of the letter. God bless you and your family.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:39 PM

2006, E350, 142k miles.
Help needed, please.

Hi konigstiger,
Can you please help with your expert opinion?
I have 2006 mercedes benz E350. It is 156,000 miles and running fine. All the bells and whistles work fine.
Recently, I replaced a windshield wiper motor, through a mechanic. That was done fine, but he told me the "actuator intake manifold is broken." I am attaching the part, which he asked me to buy 'after market' to save the cost.
However, I am curious to know, how many hours' labor is considered reasonable to fix this?
I will sincerely appreciate, any help.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Regards,
Chandra