E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

URGENT! Best make of tyre for 2012 265bhp E Class Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class Coupe
URGENT! Best make of tyre for 2012 265bhp E Class Coupe?

Hi guys.
Urgent Help please!

I`m in the middle of negotiating buying a 2012
E Class Coupe with the 265bhp engine and the tyres on it are Nexen! Personally I`d never heard of them?

It`s an MB main dealer and the sharp young salesmen has assured me that MB fit Nexen tyres to their E Classes. Really?? Am I being conned guys?

So if I say I don`t want the Nexen tyres on there because you lot have confirmed my doubts that Mr Sharpie is after his commission and telling porky pies to me?! If he agrees to change the tyres what tmake of tyre do I negotiate to fit?

It`s 5.26 GMT on the 3rd Nov as I write this and I have until tomorrow morning to tell him what i want!

So guys any answers please?
Many thanks
Old 11-03-2017, 03:35 PM
VII

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
Of course not, no "Nexen" tire is OEM equipment for MB passenger cars. You are right to want to avoid them as tires are critical to safety, comfort and performance and those are probably the cheapest tire they could find.

I've enjoyed recent summer tires from Goodyear and all seasons from Continental (The actual OEM tire man. on that car most likely) and of course Michellin are good but overpriced.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Nexen is a very cheap tire. I would avoid at all costs. I would go for Continental or Michelin - All seasons.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:39 AM

E Class Coupe
Tyres

Thank you very much for your fast response with your answers guys! Much appreciated and l think Continentals seems to be the best middle of the road way to go!

I’ll post again in about 3 to 6 months how l’m getting on with them over the UK winter.

Many thanks again for the help tho guys!
Old 11-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
2008 E320 BlueTec, 1980 300 SD
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by EtonieE
I’ll post again in about 3 to 6 months how l’m getting on with them over the UK winter.

Wow, it's your second post here and you want us to wait 3 to 6 months to hear more - you must be a really busy person, we can hardly wait to hear more!
Old 11-04-2017, 10:19 AM

E Class Coupe
😆

Loooooool! No not really busy Arto, just thought 3 months would b enough time to get used to the car n then come back n let u guys know how l got on.
But being missed before I’ve even left the site is nice to know so I’ll obviously b writing sooner than later! Loooool!

Whilst I’m here though the feedback from the phone call this morning to the dealer went like this. I said Continentals to him and he said which ones?

Obviously l need an all rounder because it rains 75% of the time in the UK and l know from driving the 2016 saloon for a year how arsey n skitsey they can be when pushed too fast out of bends, but not driven the coupe. Plus this is the previous 2012 generation, so don’t know if there’s any difference?

So guys any suggestions as to which Continentals type to get. Also to put in the mix I’ve seen Goodyear Eagle F1 for the same price as Continental conti sport contact 3

He’s phoning back Monday afternoon for an answer so any suggestions before then would b much appreciated.

Have a good weekend
Old 11-04-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E500; ML63; X5M; LR3
1. Continental
2. Michelin
3. Many other good tires that aren't either of the above (BF Goodrich, Cooper, General)
4. Falken, Bridgestone, Pirelli
5. Nexen, Hankook, Kumho

I put a top of the line set of Falkens on my E500 as a temporary tire last year while waiting to get a better set of rims. In 7 months they were shredded. Spiral fractures on each tire. Scared the **** out of me when I changed them because I didn't see the fractures until I removed the tires - they were all on the inside sidewall. I hadn't planned to keep them that long...
Old 11-04-2017, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 227 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
I am running TOYO PROXES 4 on my Sedan, for sure a good all around tire for Northern CA, where things are just the opposite, it only rains approx. 25% of the time, while the rest of the year it is warm and dry.

A colleague of mine runs the same tire on his S500 and is as well very satisfied with it.

By far not a Michelin, but with mostly dry Road Conditions, I am not willing to pay Michelin prices.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:16 AM

E Class Coupe
BIG Thank You guys!!

UPDATE - 2012 E350 CDi Sport

Hi guys!

I just wanted to SHOUT a BIG THANK YOU to you all for your time in answering my question about the tyres.

Well I showed the MB dealership your reply's regarding the fitted rubbish Nexen tyres and this was the outcome.....

They gave me £150.00 for the 4 Nexens and fitted the Michelin Pro 4`s for nothing! I think it was a case of embarrassment at showing them all you guys posts! Looool!
We had already agreed the sale price before the Nexen episode arose so they couldn`t hide any further money for their costs for the Michelins and so if you had not given me the advise in the first place I`d of been stuck with those bloody rubbish Nexens!!!! So again, THANK YOU guys for your help and time in responding!

DRIVING FEEDBACK

I can only say WOW at the Michelins! Remember it rains 75% of the year here and out of the 700 miles I`ve covered in the last 4 weeks I`ve seen the sun once! Looool! It`s also dark some days by 3.30pm in December!!!!! Awful bloody country guys! So the tests so far are in the constant wet but bloody Nora the car sticks to the road like s**t to a blanket on a hot afternoon in Nevada! The turn in and exit past the apex is like wooooooosh you`re up the road and gone in no time! OK it`s not a Scooby WR1 and it`s not an S Class but I`m as pleased as punch with it and wondered why I never brought a 3ltr coupe before? Also I know it sounds a bit stupid to say but I didn`t realise the 350 coupe was the same size as my old C Class Coupe but with more umph! It feels compact and the air seats are brilliant! Ride is a bit firm and as I said it`s no S Class or Jaguar and is deffo not a sports car, but for coming onto a motorway or joining fast moving traffic it just wooooshes upto stupid speeds in no time!

Again, thank you guys for all your help and advise and it deffo proves this site works doesn`t it!

All the best. John
Old 01-05-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by Kamisama
1. Continental
2. Michelin
3. Many other good tires that aren't either of the above (BF Goodrich, Cooper, General)
4. Falken, Bridgestone, Pirelli
5. Nexen, Hankook, Kumho

I put a top of the line set of Falkens on my E500 as a temporary tire last year while waiting to get a better set of rims. In 7 months they were shredded. Spiral fractures on each tire. Scared the **** out of me when I changed them because I didn't see the fractures until I removed the tires - they were all on the inside sidewall. I hadn't planned to keep them that long...
Hankooks are on the 3/4 levels. They are not what they used to be. Falkens should be on the #5 spot behind Nexen lol.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E500; ML63; X5M; LR3
Originally Posted by My_E350
Hankooks are on the 3/4 levels. They are not what they used to be. Falkens should be on the #5 spot behind Nexen lol.
You are right; I agree with that as far as ride and general performance. I have a new set of Ventus V12s Evo 2s for the past 3 months (E500). One just failed yesterday. Ride is smooth and performance seems good, but gotta wonder - there is no visible damage and no indication of failure other than a balance issue that is apparent when they apply roller pressure to the tire to measure the defect.

I pinched a Michelin a couple months ago - no issues but I did have to replace it. That was bad but at least I know the cause.

IMO the Continentals are the best sidewall. They seem to forgive a bit more. Best tires I've owned.