E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

About to order my first Mercedes! (UK)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Your mind appears made up on the type and model that you want, but I would urge you to deal with your local dealer.

I trolled the Internet getting all sorts of prices, even importing an E-class from Europe. The small saving that I would have made certainly would not begin to even get anywhere near the aftersales care that I am at present receiving from my local dealer.

If you were a local dealer and you had two vehicles coming in for service, one belonged to a customer who purchased the vehicle from you, the other purchased his vehicle elsewhere. Unfortunately you only had one courtesy car available. Who would get it???

Good luck with your choice,
John

I have just looked at my documentation.

I could have purchased my new vehicle and saved £1100, from a dealer in Yorkshire?? But they offered £2000 less for my old car and that was conditional on there inspecting my vehicle.

I was not interested in even attempting to sell the car privately (2000 320CDI Elegance Estate)

Last edited by glojo; 05-12-2004 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220CDI avantagarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather
That comment came when i was in ur situation. I've been in your position last year and have researched prices and deals closely.

I asked the dealer if i went for classic , should i include leather. He said if ur going for leather it would be more better on the Avantgarde although that model does have half leather anyway.
Although avantgarde spec you pay for that spec holds on to its value better and dealers can sell cars with it more easily nad for a better price. Remember Mb buyers are after luxury cars and a car with good spec at a decent price is what people are after. If u were buying a car second hand would you pay another 1000-1200 for a avantgarde at the mid 20sK mark..I would.

leather in the Eclass will add around 60-70% of price you paid for it anyway(1250 in classic ) when u come to sell.

U could specify classic and add avantgarde wheels for 500 quid and leather for 1250. But then the price approaches the 2600 extra you pay for Avant...you get xenons(the blue lights are almost well admired),mettalic paint(600 quid), lower sporty susp, chrome trim etc..things which make ur car look nicer on the outside and feel luxuriuos on the inside.

Its true that the 320Cdi gets the parameter steering, auto and elegance spec included. the diff btw 270 and 320 is about 1800 quid.

some of the nicer colours are only available in avantgarde....but then if you go for silver your safe from that.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Apollo
We are not talking about a standard car here at std prices. These are bloody expensive. We are paying a premium for high quality. My car cost double that of a standard decent quality car from most of the standard car firms.
The sea is very calm so I decided to do a bit of 'surfing'

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, WITH THE FORWARD DRIVE GEAR SELECTED AND THE VEHICLE STATIONARY OR IN A FORWARD MOTION, THE GEARBOX COULD POTENTIALLY SELECT REVERSE GEAR, WITHOUT INDICATION.
Consequence:
THIS FAILURE COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

This is a recall notice for the 2004 Jaguar 'S' Type effecting some 37000 plus vehicles!!!!!

To quote from someone not a million miles away, "We are not talking about a standard car here at std prices. These are bloody expensive"

Just be thankful that you did not buy a Jaguar 'S' TYpe

Regards,
John
Old 05-13-2004, 05:42 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 W211
I have a Jan 2003 E270CDi with 30K miles on it now and I've only had a few minor issues which the dealer has sorted out quickly. I am very happy with the car, and with the performance.

I wouldn't let the talks of model changes put you off ordering the car now, I'm sure the changes will only be minor detailing.

It might be worth ordering the phone pre-wiring as then you can buy a new cradle for a newer phone when it is released.

Richard.

www.mbclub.co.uk
Old 05-13-2004, 08:17 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
I understand your point about Jaguar. But isn't there a thread on this forum about Mercedes recalling 680,000 cars for potential brake failure.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Apollo
I understand your point about Jaguar. But isn't there a thread on this forum about Mercedes recalling 680,000 cars for potential brake failure.
There certainly is a THREAD on this forum referring to potential brake failure.

I have also read the link that it refers to. Like yourself and many others, I own an E-class that allegedly fits into the criteria of the recall. The only thing I have not seen is an actual recall letter???? Has anyone, anywhere actually received a recall letter??

The extract I posted relating to Jaguar was from an official recall notice.

Regards,
John