E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Not sure whether to get Mercedes (was "about to order first mercedes")

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure whether to get Mercedes (was "about to order first mercedes")

I'm starting to change my mind about ordering an e-class...

Recalls over brake system, new euro 4 engine round the corner (too late for me though, need car on or before 1st Sep '04), other changes in the new '05 model about to be launched... and all these horror stories about problems with electronics etc which are all apparently being tweaked for the '05.

I do like the E, but I have around £32,000 to spend and am no longer convinced this is the right place to point my money. My wife is getting a BMW so I can't go for any of their models. Other option is Jaguar but they don't do a decent diesel-automatic (which is the main criteria for my new car).

If you were about to buy a brand new mercedes, would you wait for the '05 E or be content with getting the current model a couple of months earlier? (Please don't answer biased just because you already have the non '05 model . I don't want to go in to the dealer and talk about whether it's worth waiting because they are just going to say "no sir, the current model is wonderful, please give me my commission and write me a cheque today, no need to wait"...

Help...!!!

Thanks,
Russ.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:28 AM

E220CDI avantagarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather
Russ,

There seems to be a little confusion here.

When people talk about the 05 model they are talking about the the production model for the new year 05. There will be little diff between an 04 or 03 model and 05. the 03 did not have command and then 04 had SBC little features added. Now the 04 has had the nanopaint. It little diff like these. This doesn't affect residauls as the mileage and age of car, condition determines that.

If you want the latest gadgets.. wait for 05 model but the 04 is just as good for the 54 plate.

Just don't expect BMW dealerships service at ur Mb dealers.

I love the car but i think the dealer service could be better.

I'm thinking of maybe waiting for 05 M class or Toyota landcruiser /Toyota corolla verso MPV now for Sept 04 change.If I do change my car will be up for sale. E220cdi Avantgarde/sand leather/auto/Parking aid/15k miles. It will be priced to sell.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:54 AM

2000 528BMW 5sp
quality change in 2005 ??

drove 2005 e320 cdi. . quality improvement?? The a/c was not working in this new car
Old 05-12-2004, 11:11 AM

I went to the local Mercedes dealer today. I made a point of dressing scruffy. The staff were arrogant and couldn't care less that I was there.

Thought the e-class was ok but it didn't look like anything special on the inside I'm sorry to say. Also saw the interior of a face lift c-class (coupe, but same dash as the saloon will have). It looked awful and cheap. Those big square buttons in the top middle of the console blatantly showing how many options you have'nt got... it looked rubbish with four options with the odd logo amidst an array of blanked out black non usable buttons.

So then I went to an Audi dealer. Lovely people, lovely cars, had a play in the A4 cabriolet and A4 saloon. Build quality and comfort was so superior to the mercedes i couldn't believe it.

I'm about to unsubscribe from this forum, and will be buying an Audi. I might be back here in a couple of years when I change my car...!

So long,
Russ.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:20 AM

E220CDI avantagarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather
Good luck in ur choice what ever car you get.

Your right about MB salesman....they know that there cars sells themselves..its called badge snobbery. But then people coming knew to MBs don't really know how good the cars really are. It's once u buy the car you really fall in love with the brand.

Can't say the same for the CS at dealerships....if only they learned from the Japs in C service.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:05 AM

I'd stay away from Audi. Initial quality is good, but it gets alot worse!

I've owned 2 (lemoned) audi a6's.

They are issuing a mass recall for potential fires right now. Vibration is a major issue with the A6, along with radios. I can't count the number of times i was in the dealer. ??? Too many.

Audi is banned from my list forever.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:01 AM
Almost a Member!

when you are getting an Audi.. why not pay a little more and get a Porsche 996.. at least its more reliable... well.. not exactly just a little but..
Old 05-14-2004, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
My experience with mercede sales has been mixed.

When I was looking to buy my car last year, I went to claridge in fremont auto mall. I was looking to buy either S600/S55 or 760Li. The lady was quiet nice and since they had none in stock. She gave me a brochure and a card. I was busy for the rest of the week. She called me and asked if i am ready to order S. I told her that I am no longer interested in an S, however I am ready to order an E55. I asked her to call me back with their allocation. She never called back.

The rest is history. I e-mailed all dealership in the bay area. Beshoff was only that can order a car for me in a very short time frame while other was at least 6 months out. Through out the purchase, the experience was quiet good. Hence resulting in me getting several more mercedes.

If had the lady from claridge had bother to call me back, they would probably made several sales with me. I would stuck with claridge because they are so close to my house.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:10 AM

Snobby Salesman

I recently went to try to find a dealership in San Diego Ca. to order my e320... I went to Mercedes Benz of San Diego and found a really nice sales person to sell me a car... We did the whole thing but i was looking for somebody to give me more than just 2000 dollars off the sticker... But he always called and kept me updated... One of the Dr.'s that I work with told me that he bought his MB at Hoen Mercedes... He told me to go there... So I went there after the gym to go see the car and talk to a sales person... they would not even let me through the door of the showroom... The Sales guy told me to just look at the cars in the lot and that would be good enough for me... I told him I wanted to see the e320 in the showroom, he told me that they did not have any... but my girlfriend went into the showroom after sneaking pass the sales guy and said isn't this one... he told us oh yeah I forgot... All in all that was one of the worst dealerships I ever went to...
So, I went to go back to MB of San Diego to order my car... when I got there my sales guy was busy with another client... So, I told another sales person to let him know that I was there... he assured me that he knew I was there waiting... After awhile I thought I'd drive a used S500 just to see how it would feel... I had to ask one of the used sales person to assist me. The same guy that supposedly told my sales guy that I was there, I didn't like it so I asked about ordering cars just to make time pass... he was so persistent on me ordering a car from him, trying to get me a better deal than the one I already had... I don't know... totally unprofessional... I asked him where my sales guy was and he said he didn't know... My sales guy shows up at the other guys desk and sees me talking to him and asks whats going on... all in all my sales guy ends up geting fired because the 2 sales people were arguing in front of us... I thought it was going to be like when I bought my Porsche Cab. 2000 It didn't matter who i talked to they all worked together and got paid on a salary...
My car should be arriving in June the sales guy that I have now is very cool... he calls me every two weeks to update me on my new car... Ipriced the whole car on mercedes benz web site and the total was around 59,000 and they gave it to me for 52,000...