E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Alignment - Need Second Opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 03:07 PM
VII

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
Question Alignment - Need Second Opinion

Due to my dislike of my local dealer and their prices I had my last alignment done at a Firestone after they fitted the new tires (I always get one when doing the 4 tires). The guy seemed competent and knew how to align the rear toe so I figured he just has to follow the computer.
Fast forward 10k miles and the inside edge of both rear tires has severe wear while the rest of the tire is looking great (~75%). If I remember correctly this happens on the rear of RWD cars if they are set with toe out (Right?).
I am going over the alignment sheet and noticed that the way it is drawn implies that positive rear toe means toe out (The spec for w211/219s is .20 toe in), so I am now thinking the Firestone computer is wrong and they aligned my car to have toe out.
Any thoughts ? Am I just reading the alignment sheet backwards?

Old 12-19-2017, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Toe is “fine” on the sheet.

my concern is actually that it was not tightened up, or you have worn arms. I would take it back, tell them you have inside wear and have them re-check. I’d bet money it’s far out of spec now
Old 12-22-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
On paper it looks OK. I would suggest the following
1. I always tell the tech to "center" the toe, that is, if the spec calls for -01 to +1, then the center is 0. The range is so small that numbers near the limits will cause irregular wear.
2. Alignment machine needs to be adjusted periodically. It's not unusual for the machine to be out of spec!

Most of them use Hunter equipment, check Hunter website to see their latest equipment and ask Hunter who has that equipment in your area. I did that and the alignment was spot on. Heck, even with new cars I have not had a good alignment for over 15 years until I got the 2017 E400 which was better than all other cars I bought including the Macan.

You waited to long to check your tires after alignment. I normally check after a few hundred miles by turning your front tires out and run your palm over the tread (inside and outside) if the alignment is good, your palm will feel the smooth surface, If it is out, your palm will feel the roughness. As for the rear, do the same way with your hand.

You had bad wear after 10K, that means it was not align right in the first place. It would have shown up if you had checked it less than 1K miles.