E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Could a new abs wheel speed sensor be bad or is it more likely to be a bigger issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes Benz E550
Could a new abs wheel speed sensor be bad or is it more likely to be a bigger issue?

I have a 2007 Mercdes Benz E550 4Matic. I'm having an issue with the ABS and ESP lights lighting up on the dash and car is in 'limp mode' (hard steering). I found out it was the front right ABS Wheel Speed Sensor, which I replaced. Now when I turn the car on, there are no errors and the dash and the steering is fine, for about the first 30 seconds to a minute, then I get all the same issues as before (Dash lights up and back into limp mode). After the car is turned off and sits for a while the issue clears (on startup) but then returns again. Could this just be a bad sensor (the 'new' one)?

--------
Editors Note: After clearing and running the codes again, I realized the code was different this time. Original code showed Bad front right ABS wheel speed sensor. I just ran the codes again last night and was getting the following: Rpm sensor: The rotation direction is incorrect.
I pulled the wheel back off and pulled the sensor, spun it 180 degrees, and put it back together. No more errors. So apparently when I was struggling to find the bolt on the floor (the first time), I missed it slipping loose and spinning around. So in hindsight, it was just a typical ID10T error on my part.

Last edited by Zvander; 01-14-2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Read the faults and report back, steering will be a bit heavier due to SPS switching off. If its the same wheel with the new sensor it can be the wheel bearing
Old 04-29-2024, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 2011
Originally Posted by Zvander
I have a 2007 Mercdes Benz E550 4Matic. I'm having an issue with the ABS and ESP lights lighting up on the dash and car is in 'limp mode' (hard steering). I found out it was the front right ABS Wheel Speed Sensor, which I replaced. Now when I turn the car on, there are no errors and the dash and the steering is fine, for about the first 30 seconds to a minute, then I get all the same issues as before (Dash lights up and back into limp mode). After the car is turned off and sits for a while the issue clears (on startup) but then returns again. Could this just be a bad sensor (the 'new' one)?

--------
Editors Note: After clearing and running the codes again, I realized the code was different this time. Original code showed Bad front right ABS wheel speed sensor. I just ran the codes again last night and was getting the following: Rpm sensor: The rotation direction is incorrect.
I pulled the wheel back off and pulled the sensor, spun it 180 degrees, and put it back together. No more errors. So apparently when I was struggling to find the bolt on the floor (the first time), I missed it slipping loose and spinning around. So in hindsight, it was just a typical ID10T error on my part.
I am having the same issue on my w212, the abs module was replaced and this same error came up, I've tried replacing the sensors but I am running into the same error consistently.
what do you mean by so you spun the sensor 180 degrees?.