E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Oil Cooler Repair Aftermath

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E320
Oil Cooler Repair Aftermath

Took our 2009 E320 Bluetec to Schumacher European MB dealer in Scottsdale, AZ due to an oil leak. Service advisor said oil cooler o-rings were source of the leak and required replacement, and gave us the option of replacing a cracked clean air line for an additional $480. We received the car back after service and paid the $3,178 bill to replace two o-rings (parts cost $20.29) and the cracked clean air line.

I immediately noticed a 5mm tear in the driver's seat MB Tex material where a screwdriver tip might sit in the back of a mechanic's pocket, the car idled with a higher than normal vibration, and upon starting the preglow indicator lamp remained illuminated for approximately two minutes accompanied by the CHECK ENGINE caution message which stays illuminated. The next day I also discovered an oil covered bolt in our garage stall where the car is parked. I emailed the dealership GM who had their service manager call me and brought the car back for inspection. The service advisor emailed me saying, "The check engine light is indeed the glow plug module. It is a sealed module on the drivers side engine compartment. The other thing is the motor mounts. It's a common failure at the cars age." The dealership is asking us to pay for these two repairs with a 15% discount on the bill.

​​​​​​​Any thoughts? Are these symptoms coincidental timing or are they caused by the service to repair the leaking oil cooler o-rings?
Old 02-10-2018, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I am bit lost in your description of the event, but yes ,GP module can go without a warning and that is something you have to deal with .
MM are another story. Even the "fluid filled" mounts go faster than older, solid mounts, they sure don't go bad overnight.
Good luck in your negotiations.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by 2009 E320
Took our 2009 E320 Bluetec to Schumacher European MB dealer in Scottsdale, AZ due to an oil leak. Service advisor said oil cooler o-rings were source of the leak and required replacement, and gave us the option of replacing a cracked clean air line for an additional $480. We received the car back after service and paid the $3,178 bill to replace two o-rings (parts cost $20.29) and the cracked clean air line.

I immediately noticed a 5mm tear in the driver's seat MB Tex material where a screwdriver tip might sit in the back of a mechanic's pocket, the car idled with a higher than normal vibration, and upon starting the preglow indicator lamp remained illuminated for approximately two minutes accompanied by the CHECK ENGINE caution message which stays illuminated. The next day I also discovered an oil covered bolt in our garage stall where the car is parked. I emailed the dealership GM who had their service manager call me and brought the car back for inspection. The service advisor emailed me saying, "The check engine light is indeed the glow plug module. It is a sealed module on the drivers side engine compartment. The other thing is the motor mounts. It's a common failure at the cars age." The dealership is asking us to pay for these two repairs with a 15% discount on the bill.

Any thoughts? Are these symptoms coincidental timing or are they caused by the service to repair the leaking oil cooler o-rings?
This
Right here
​​​​​​​is why so many of us are thankful to be able to work on our own cars.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
E63 AMG
I replaced my oil cooler o-rings last week and paid my indy $350 and bought the parts from my Local dealer for $12. Your dealer really got you good since it is only a 4hr job by the book.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:42 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
2008 E320 BlueTec, 1980 300 SD
Sounds like your car is missing a bolt somewhere and you will likely have to deal with that sooner or later?
If it is a Mercedes bolt, I would politely ask the dealer to investigate and also ask them to repair the damaged seat (on their dime).