Airmatic again again again:)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Airmatic again again again:)

Howdy Ya'll from San Antonio, Texas.
Bought a 2003 E320 with 160K on it last year and have had my share of issues, ABS module, Head light ballast, compressor, etc... Being somewhat mechanically inclined I have save a ton of money on what turned out to be some simple repairs. The car had new arnot shocks in the front when I bought it, so now they are a year and half old and I just had the compressor done (paid my stupid tax on that one) so its only 4 months old and now my rear right air spring is leaking. I have looked at the costs and decided to do a coil over kit Cardone 4J2001K from summit (https://www.summitracing.com/search?...eyword=4j2001k) and am testing the waters to see if anyone is interested in buying the front shocks and compressor?
Before ya'll chime in about how nice the air ride is and its a shame to get rid of it, I agree but its cost preventative for me and what this car is in my situation, my long distance travel car and wifes commuter to work 5 miles oneway. My primary is my motorcycle and I have a truck the stepdaughter drives too. So for what I paid and what it is, coil over it is!
Thanks for any input.
PM me if your interested in shocks or compressor.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:53 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG GT S

I have this one, mercedes put it on when I bought the car.
seems good to me
Old 01-29-2019, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
There are (2) SL 231 options that people often hav to ponder about

Here are my 2-cents worth:

In my opinion the very little difference in sound quality between the Bang & Olafason and the Harmon Karden System just isn't worth the B&O's. $5,000 price tag. I could barely discern the difference when listening to Sirius XM or CD's. Supposedly there is more of a difference from a 5.1 Surround DVD sound source, but that does not apply for me.

However, I strongly recommend the 'Magic Sky Control' Glass Roof Option. Had i been ordering a new 231, I might not have initially thought it was something I needed or wanted to pay $2,500 for, but it just happened to be included with the used 231 that I wound up buying. I now realize that I really under-estimated it's value in the 231.. I truly love this feature so much, that if I was to order a new 231 today, knowing what I know now, it would be considered a 'must have' option.

For anyone on the fence about getting the 'Magic Sky Control Roof', I say it's well-worth the $2,500 price tag! Enjoying it as much as I do now, I really can't imagine owning a SL 231 without that option now!. .

I happen to live in warm, sunny, South Florida, so I can verify that MB is absolutely correct in saying that even in 'clear' glass mode, the Magic Sky Control' Roof has a sun-blocking technology that allows no more solar heat to enter the cabin than you would get from a standard 60-watt light bulb. However, when you want to 'darken the cabin', that occurs instantaneously with the push of a button. There is no need for a sliding sunshade that could easily begin to rattle over time. You'll also notice a much 'cleaner look' to the headliner, and more headroom, since there is no sunshade.

One other consideration: You may want to pass on the 231 'soft close' door option s as well. The actuator mechanisms used tend to fail after awhile and a 'out of warranty' repair is quite expensive. The 231's doors are light and close very easily and quietly without that troublesome option. The nicely 'muted thud' is actually a nice sound and you never have to worry about actuator failure..

Bottom Line Advice: Skip the B&O Sound System, (and the 'Soft Close' Door Option as well), but make sure you get the 'Magic Sky Control' Roof Option...Those are my recommendations!

Last edited by bob55; 01-29-2019 at 11:15 AM.