E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Poll: Who wants a Euro DVD/NAV COMAND installed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2004 | 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by krispykrme
yes, your 2003 E500 can be retrofitted by command. You need to talk to steve the god's hand. He can do anything.

No dealer in the US will do anything. I am not sure where you live. But if you live in CA, you will see steve in july.
CA and NY area so far. FL most likely...

and yes they should have the MP3 update already.

If you DO want a W211 nav system, you better purchase fast as the price is not very stable! Just like gasoline!

-s-
Old 05-27-2004 | 06:21 AM

2013 E350
OK I swear this will be my last dumb question. (Alright, maybe not.)

Does the US Comand include (or require) the GPS antenna and the DVD drive to hold the navigation DVD?

If adding navigation is so easy (just replace the existing comand with the US Comand) how come MB bought back the cars?
Old 05-27-2004 | 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by jbec.keane
OK I swear this will be my last dumb question. (Alright, maybe not.)

Does the US Comand include (or require) the GPS antenna and the DVD drive to hold the navigation DVD?

If adding navigation is so easy (just replace the existing comand with the US Comand) how come MB bought back the cars?
On a W211, COMAND and the DVD Nav drive are separate units. You can have the COMAND without Nav; you can have a COMAND with Nav. The navigation function is mostly contained in the DVD drive in the trunk (it's called a navigation rechner in German... navigation calculator).

All US W211 cars have GPS antennas already installed. TeleAid uses this.

Why did MB buy back the cars? Probably because most MB techs would botch the job and end up costing the company more money. Just a guess though.

-s-
Old 05-27-2004 | 07:30 AM

2013 E350
There is no way that I would try the install myself. I'll check with the dealer or with Steve.
Old 05-27-2004 | 01:38 PM
Almost a Member!

E500 SPORT
Originally posted by scorchie
CA and NY area so far. FL most likely...

and yes they should have the MP3 update already.

If you DO want a W211 nav system, you better purchase fast as the price is not very stable! Just like gasoline!

-s-
I live in Northern Virginia. I can drive up to NY if there is someone who can help me getting and installing COMMAND. I would love to purchase one. How much is it? What do I have to do?
Old 05-27-2004 | 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by inkm
I live in Northern Virginia. I can drive up to NY if there is someone who can help me getting and installing COMMAND. I would love to purchase one. How much is it? What do I have to do?
Do you want COMAND? Or COMAND and nav?

If you are ready, please send an e-mail to s_krabbenborg@hotmail.com saying that you would like to know the schedule for US East Coast installations and are interested in getting a COMAND in your <insert model year, car model> and if it is a W211, if you want Navigation or not. Then you should get a response with dates, and current pricing.

-s-
Old 05-28-2004 | 01:58 PM

'07 GL450
Does Euro DVD/NAV replace SAT?

..uhmm.. here's a question:

If you install the Euro DVD/NAV system, will you still have SAT radio capabilities?

I cannot recall which thread it was that detailed the differences between the US and EURO navs, but, as I recall, the US has a [SAT] button where the EURO has a [VIDEO] button.

Ideally, one would retain the SAT capabilities, while adding DVD and MP3.

Is that the way this works?
Old 05-28-2004 | 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Does Euro DVD/NAV replace SAT?

Originally posted by Miguk_Saram
..uhmm.. here's a question:

If you install the Euro DVD/NAV system, will you still have SAT radio capabilities?

I cannot recall which thread it was that detailed the differences between the US and EURO navs, but, as I recall, the US has a [SAT] button where the EURO has a [VIDEO] button.

Ideally, one would retain the SAT capabilities, while adding DVD and MP3.

Is that the way this works?
This has been covered a LOT here... if you can't find a specific thread, please try the "search" function.

As of right now, if you use a Euro head unit (COMAND) you will not be able to access the satellite radio. This could change next week. It could change next month. It might never change.

-s-
Old 05-28-2004 | 09:03 PM
MVD

2009 E550 w P1, Flint Black
Originally posted by scorchie
On a W211, COMAND and the DVD Nav drive are separate units. You can have the COMAND without Nav; you can have a COMAND with Nav. The navigation function is mostly contained in the DVD drive in the trunk (it's called a navigation rechner in German... navigation calculator).

Why did MB buy back the cars? Probably because most MB techs would botch the job and end up costing the company more money. Just a guess though.
-s-
Hmm... While I believe that COMAND can be added, I have a hard time believing that DVD Nav can be retrofitted in '03 cars. Otherwise, MB would have done it rather than replace the cars (which cost a small fortune). Pls prove me wrong as a neighbor has an '03 E55 for sale that looks pretty sweet (except no Nav).
Old 05-28-2004 | 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by MVD
Hmm... While I believe that COMAND can be added, I have a hard time believing that DVD Nav can be retrofitted in '03 cars. Otherwise, MB would have done it rather than replace the cars (which cost a small fortune). Pls prove me wrong as a neighbor has an '03 E55 for sale that looks pretty sweet (except no Nav).
You haven't been following this forum too well, huh?

Let me introduce you to what should be your bestest friend at MBWorld:

(I'm being sincere about this... )

Here's my car:

before...
http://groups.msn.com/mbenznl/instal...o&PhotoID=2311

after...
http://groups.msn.com/mbenznl/instal...o&PhotoID=2308

with navigation...
http://groups.msn.com/mbenznl/instal...o&PhotoID=2313
http://groups.msn.com/mbenznl/instal...o&PhotoID=2314

and a james bond dvd...
http://groups.msn.com/mbenznl/instal...o&PhotoID=2316

And so on.

Thus, my previous comment stands, as to why I do not know why Mercedes didn't do it.

-s-
Old 05-30-2004 | 11:15 AM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
[i]Why did MB buy back the cars? Probably because most MB techs would botch the job and end up costing the company more money. Just a guess though.
-s- [/B]
MB's landed price on a $60k car is probably around $35-40k. The market value of a one year old 12k mile $60k car ($50k base) was probably around $40-42k. The cost of the installation was probably $1500-2000 for parts and $1000-1500 for labor. The cost/benefit analysis is left to the reader.
Old 06-04-2004 | 04:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
time for me to jump in this thread as well...last time I went to California I had 10 W211 comand headunits and 11 DVD nav drives...I shipped over 4 complete sets before I went to the US and after I posted pictures of scorchies install on this forum I had my parents ship over the other 6 complete comands with nav drive as there seemed to be a huge need of these...these sets were all - except one - installed during that last US trip.

As of now - I do have several US spec and euro spec W211 comand units and have some more DVD nav drives (the actual navigation that sits in the trunk).
I will continue selling and installing these for the same price as I did before...only as long as stock lasts...

The complete comand system (regardless wether the headunit is US spec or euro spec) will be installed in 2003 US spec W211s for 3750USD...for some cars a new trunkliner will be required which has to be ordered by the person himself - when located at the eastcoast, not! when located at the westcoast - and can be deducted from the install price.

For people with a 2004 US spec W211 that want a eurospec comand system with DVD playback - I offer a unit for 1500USD plus the US spec comand headunit as a trade in...when the comand will be shipped for self install - the buyer has to pay 2500USD and will get 1000USD refunded after the US comand has been received.

For people with a 2004 US spec comand headunit WITHOUT the navigation drive in the trunk - I offer a nav retrofit for 1500USD (trunkliner might have to be changed again - which some people will have to order themselves (at my cost)).

Both US spec and euro spec comand units (headunit only) cost 3108, 96 EURO excl. 19% VAT new from the NL MB dealership...I have installed W211 comands for MB dealers in california and prefer to keep my US spec comands for the installs to be done for MB dealerships...

Euro spec comands have DVD playback but are NOT able to support SAT radio as the memory storage location used for these features is the same - it is either one or the other feature and not both...same goes for the TV feature - the US spec comand is not able to support the TV feature.

I do have the latest update CD that will come up with the MP3 playback BUT with this update the comand will also block out TV/DVD playback while in motion...haven't figured a way to get around this yet...

I will be coming to Florida in July and will most probably drive up the east coast to do comand installs...these comand installs will be performed incl. version coding with stardiagnose and I will only do the installs for which I have received a deposit upfront (as I can only ship what I will sell and don't want to risk having to take half of it back home again)...

krispykreme - mail me for the comand swaps - I can have that done anytime you like as I don't need to do that myself and have somebody in the bay area that can do it for me (he will even have his own stardiag SOON)...

greetingz,
Old 06-13-2004 | 06:07 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
...as my next US trip is aproaching, I would really apreciate some feedback (either confirmed or just a no-thanks) of those who have been asking for installs on the eastcoast as I will have to order my plane tickets asap...

I had a number of requests from Florida but up to now - only ONE confirmed making it rather uninteresting for me to go there...

Please do not place your order in on the last minute like people did the last 2 times I came to the eastcoast - that will make plannming the trip and shipping the parts impossible.

As for the W211 comands I do have a limitted number of eurospec comands with DVD playback in motion and MP3 compatible.
I also have navigation drives to install in 2004 US spec 211s that already come with the comand headunit but don't have the nav drive yet...
In addition to the above, I also have a number of CD changers in stock for the W211...

thanks in advance & greetingz,
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Steve,

Don't forget to mention the Midwest. I have put money down on an install here in St. Louis, MO. Anyone close to me can meet up for the install here and I would love to help with his costs to fly here and spend the night.

Thank you...
Old 06-14-2004 | 03:17 PM

2004 e500
steve,

let me know when you figure out how to get DVD (while in motion) to work w/ the MP3 upgrade and I'll order it! thx.
Old 06-14-2004 | 03:20 PM

'07 GL450

I'm interested, but I have not yet received my MY2004 w211. It's due for delivery by the end of this month (June, '04).
Old 06-15-2004 | 07:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by MBAMGPWR
Don't forget to mention the Midwest. I have put money down on an install here in St. Louis, MO.
That is right...and I will most probably come to Chicago as well.
Originally posted by homiedru
let me know when you figure out how to get DVD (while in motion) to work w/ the MP3 upgrade and I'll order it! thx.
...already worked that out...DVD in motion and MP3 compatibility comes with "all" my euro W211 comands now...

greetingz,
Old 06-19-2004 | 12:44 PM
Almost a Member!

'07 ML320 CDI,'05 320 CDI; '01 S430,'98 VITO 110D
Question

Steve, would you tell me what should be replaced in my 05 320 CDI which has navigation but I would like to add TV (in motion) and DVD if possible. TV option would be 1st choice. DO not care for the sat radio.

Thanks, Marian