E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

If the Smart Key is broken/inoperative...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
If the Smart Key is broken/inoperative...

Lets say the smart key is crushed and/or inoperative...you have the little metal key to unlock the driver's door and get into the car and (supposedly) lock & unlock the trunk lock, then what... how can you start the car & drive it? can you? or is the smart key the only way to start the car & go? If this is true, then why would you need the little metal key if as some people have reported, you can not lock the trunk with it?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:47 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 / 2001 C240
If there was a metal key that could start the car it would defeat the security rolling code feature of the ignition..

Unless it made you get a new key cut everytime you started the car...
Old 05-25-2004, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: If the Smart Key is broken/inoperative...

Originally posted by Barry45RPM
Lets say the smart key is crushed and/or inoperative...you have the little metal key to unlock the driver's door and get into the car and (supposedly) lock & unlock the trunk lock, then what... how can you start the car & drive it? can you? or is the smart key the only way to start the car & go? If this is true, then why would you need the little metal key if as some people have reported, you can not lock the trunk with it?
If the Smart Key is destroyed, you can't drive the car. The Smart Key is the only way to start the car.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:27 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
If the good folks at telaid can remotely unlock the car can they remote start it too?
Old 05-25-2004, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Re: If the Smart Key is broken/inoperative...

Originally posted by scorchie
If your car can't start, that's not that big of a deal (think dead battery, blown up engine, out of gas, etc.)
lol @ blown engine not a big deal
Old 05-25-2004, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by RJC
If the good folks at telaid can remotely unlock the car can they remote start it too?
Nope, they can only unlock it (provided the remote unlocking decides to work at that time). More often than not, I've seen TeleAid fail to unlock the car. That's when they call roadside assistance and they bring the good ol' slim jim. I've done a couple of those roadside calls, and the owner is furious with me because their car didn't work right.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by mbtech208
Nope, they can only unlock it (provided the remote unlocking decides to work at that time). More often than not, I've seen TeleAid fail to unlock the car. That's when they call roadside assistance and they bring the good ol' slim jim. I've done a couple of those roadside calls, and the owner is furious with me because their car didn't work right.
I would just call Roadside Assistance first... it's easier to call my dealership and have them take the roadside call than to try and figure out how to get ahold of TeleAid when I can't press the little wrench button!

-s-
Old 05-25-2004, 10:11 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally posted by mbtech208
I've done a couple of those roadside calls, and the owner is furious with me because their car didn't work right.
MB owners furious, tempermental or just insane??? Ha Ha you mean like some in the e55 forum in the thread started by KrispyKreme
Old 05-26-2004, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to chine in here... I once locked my key in the car - unlocked the car opened the passenger door and placed my jacket on the seat then stuck the key into the ignition to stat it so the heated seats would be nice 'n toasty by the time i got in. Shut the passenger door and was rewarded witha "thunk" of the doors locking!
I called teleaid and as soon as they verified some info, had me hold the trunk release for a few minutes and lo and behold the car unlocked.
I was very pleased with the service.
Still dont know why my car locked itself that day.