E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Trunk latch/ SOS issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2011 E350, 1998 ML320
Trunk latch/ SOS issue

( I have posted this question on another similar forum, so if you think this looks familiar, that's probably why...)

I have read a few threads for issues related to mine, but havent found a clear answer for someone with my issue.

I have a 2003 e320, and occasionally (increasingly) the teleaid system will try to dial out while I am driving. Mutes the music and broadcasts a piercing hi/lo tone over the speakers. This goes on for around three minutes or so, and the only thing I can do once it starts, is press the SOS button on the roof, which for some reason allows me to turn the volume of the tones down with the stereo knob. I read one thread which said it was due to a "stuck trunk handle" and thought that might be it, lubed up my handle and made sure it flipped back into position. No dice, still happens. It seems to be associated with the trunk latch assembly, because it will happen after I have to open my trunk for some reason, and it will only stop if I get out and slam it hard. Sometimes this takes a couple repeat slams to get the pattern to stop.
My trunk works fine otherwise, pops open when I push the button on the remote, I do not have the "self closing" feature I have seen mentioned in some threads, so that's not an issue.

My questions are:
1) what component is the failure point, the latch? the handle? the lock?
2) can I disconnect it or defeat it's ability to try to call home?
3) I have read that I can get the teleaid turned off at the dealer, but I use the system for my phone, with the addition of the "puck with tail" and as I understand it this uses the teleaid system, will that still work if I have the dealer mark teleaid "not present"?

I'm considering swapping out for an ebay android head unit, but consider that course a last option, as I do not want to lose the HK surround functionality, and center/rear deck speakers.

Thanks for any help/advice!