E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

ABS/SBC Repeated Failure(s)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350 Base
ABS/SBC Repeated Failure(s)

Hello. I drive a 2006 MB E350 base model. I have had the car for almost 2 years now and has about 76,000 miles on it. In the past 3 months, the SBC/ABS on the car has failed several times. The dashboard goes red and braking power is severely reduced, ESP warning etc. come on.

I have a really dedicated MB mechanic and after the last incident, the car has been with him for about 3 weeks now.

He took it to one of the best diagnostic centers in town and after checking, we were told that the 'body' and 'leg' sensors, and that would be the ABS sensors were bad. We had the 4 of them changed. I did not think that this was the issue and so I asked him to do a careful check.

Eventually, they found that the 'brain box' for the ABS was bad and both the brain box and the SBC were changed. Worked fine for the few days of testing. Took on a long distance drive and came back, and on the way back, the a brake warning came up and said to return the workshop. He checked and one of the sensors needed to be replaced and he did. He then took the car to clear the codes and he felt it was okay.

On his way to return the car to me, the SBC/ABS failed again.

I would really appreciate any help, counsel, and advice about what to do or how to proceed with resolving this issue, short of just selling the car for scrap.

I look forward to your responses.

Thank you.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
First, take your trusted MB mechanic and his sisters diagnostic center off your holiday gift card list. Then run don't walk to the nearest dealer who will solve your problem!
Old 08-08-2018, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350 Base
Originally Posted by Plutoe
First, take your trusted MB mechanic and his sisters diagnostic center off your holiday gift card list. Then run don't walk to the nearest dealer who will solve your problem!
Thank you Plutoe for the candidness of your response. I assure you that I would have done that a long time ago if that was remotely possible, but given the circumstances of environment and location, we try to make do with what we have.

I reached out here to folks who may have encountered a similar issue and may have indications or things to point out that we could look out for.

Thank you once again.