E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

AC out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
AC out

So one day my ac decided to not work after owning the car for a year. Nothing happens when I press the reset button. The ac reset light stays on indicating that the system is not running. It blows only hot air through the vents. When I press the reset button the ac rest light only blinks a few times. I don’t know if it’s a bad clutch that’s not engaging. When it first happened I suspected a leak so I checked the pressure and it was full no leak at all. It’s just the actual ac compressor won’t kick on. You guys think it’s the whole compressor?
Old 08-08-2018, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Did you check your refrigerant level and pressure? If it is too low the compressor won't kick in. I'd also check the fuse/relay.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Search other topics for link to how troubleshoot the system.
It is as easy as stroking keys on internet forum and takes couple of minutes.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
I fixed my compressor by replacing the valve in it. (2005 E320). Bought it from Polar Bear Inc. in Florida. If yours is a clutch-less system like mine this may well be your problem. On mine the valve was at the bottom of the compressor, easily accessed. Symptoms were: Erratic complete loss of cooling-pressures in refrigerant were fine. Sometimes AC would work at full strength, sometimes-no. Got worse, quit. Measured (actually scoped) signal at valve during failure-good pulse to valve. Had an AC shop pull refrigerant out til pressure was about atmospheric. Removed large snap ring holding in valve-working quickly to prevent much air from getting in system, removed valve, coated new one's seal with oil from old valve, installed it, attached wire, filled with refrigerant with engine running. Been making ice cubes for two years!